Rebuying

Keenlight

Keenlight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering do any of you guys re-buy at the very start of the game. I have started to do that on low stake tournaments and have gotten a lot of success. I slow play until i have gotten a good hand and by re-buying it gives me the cash to hold out until i hit a good hand specially on turbo games when the stakes go up so fast.

Keenlight

Keenlight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So just because i didn't win that much makes my game unsuccessful. We all have different goals and as i am just getting back in to online poker if i get to the late stage of a game i call that a success for me. As for a unimaginable question then i guess i wont ask again anything if this is the response i am to get.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe let's not get into an ego contest here? For the most part here are players trying to learn and improve their game.

My opinion: if you are at a stage of the tournament where the blinds still put you at >>20bb for starting chips and the chip leaders are not more than 8 times the size of the starting stack on the rebuy, then go ahead.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just don't want to keep rebuying to the point of you losing control of it.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost never used rebuy bottom because if you loose you loose no point give any more money away because to get back your money than you must get in better place if you loose like buyin plus like 3times rebuy there's just no point cary on turney where you suck out of it few times

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considerations for early rebuys in a tourney

A few things to consider rebuying early in rebuy tournies:

1. Rebuying before you lose chips. Often times you are allowed to rebuy before any play starts. So, min chips to rebuy is the starting stack, which means you can rebuy at the first hand assuming you don't win chips the first hand. In this spot the only question to ask is, do you play considerably better when you are the table chip leader. Some people know exactly how to take advantage of being the table chip leader and, if you're one of those people, then stacking on chips before the play starts is definitely the way to go.
  2. Rebuying when getting knocked out early. Here, you have to ask yourself, do you believe this one rebuy is going to last you until the addon period and beyond? Here's a series of things which must ALL be true before you decide to rebuy after losing early on:
    1. Are you on tilt? If you are, then do not rebuy as you simply won't play well.
    2. Was it a bad beat? If not, then don't rebuy. If you made a poor all-in decision, then you simply may not be playing your best poker that day.
    3. Do you have the confidence to make it to the Addon period without felting again? At most you should allow yourself to lose 1 rebuy per tourney. Once you rebuy once you're going to have to make it that much farther into the money simply to earn your money back. Considering you'll also want to do the addon, rebuying multiple times just makes it extremely difficult to get your money back.
  3. Intentionally going all-in to either quickly double-up or rebuy. I would never recommend this, although I see it often, people who are willing to go all-in with moderate holdings just because they know they can rebuy. Honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me when you consider the value of those chips will greatly diminish before the rebuy period is up.
Now, there is a situation which can negate everything I said above and demand you rebuy. If the prize pool is massive compared to the cost of the rebuy. For instance, ACR's $20,000 GTD MOSS Event #1 for $5.50. The possibility of streaking to a money table in that tourney is so much greater than the risk that it is worth it to dump money into a tourney of that nature (no, I do not work for ACR). My advice above is for typical tournaments where 1st place is only 10-20 Buy-ins.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends on the cost and the potential rewards to rebuying. Low cost rebuys I will make at the start of a game to give me a table advantage but most games I don't unless I'm feeling like I have a good chance of running deep to recoup it.