Range Merging

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately, I have been studying range merging, or more specifically playing with a merged range to avoid polarizing your range. Anyone have any good study articles that they have used in the past on this subject, or anyone want to have a discussion on this thread about it? Also how do you feel balancing your range ties in with merging your range?

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that speaking of bands is important what exactly we play. There are no universal ranges for all poker game formats.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that speaking of bands is important what exactly we play. There are no universal ranges for all poker game formats.

I think you might be confused? range merging is not a defined range. It's not a universal range... it is betting a range that normally would be bet in either a very polarized spot or a pure bluff, having a merged range allows you to get thin value from certain villains because our range looks bluffy, or get the better hand to fold because our hand seems polarized.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps I really didn’t quite understand what I was talking about. Can you give an example or a link to a more detailed description? This will help the discussion and maybe someone else will join us. ;)

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many boards where the average player would only bluff or bet the nuts. But a player who merges his range has the ability to bet a hand somewhere between those two extremes, which makes it very difficult for his or her opponents to put them on an accurate hand. When players can’t put someone on a hand, they are likely to make mistakes.

Example:

You raise preflop with J
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
and get called by the button. The flop comes down 10
spade.gif
heart.gif
heart.gif
and you make a continuation bet, which is called. The turn is the 2
diamond.gif
and you check. Your opponent checks behind and the river is the J
spade.gif

Here is a good spot to try and merge your range. The river improved your hand by giving you two pair, but it also created a really ugly board to navigate. Under normal poker conditions, most players would check here, because a bet is very polarized. Players who bet in this spot almost always have a strong hand like one that contains a nine for a straight or they have a complete bluff like a busted flush draw.
But with two pair, you can make a bet and completely throw your opponent off by merging your range. The bet accomplishes a couple of things. Because your opponent thinks you are polarized, he may try to pick off what he perceives to be a bluff attempt with a hand as weak as one pair. That gives you thin value.
But let’s say that your opponent has a better hand, like a set of sevens. Now, because you bet in a polarized spot, he could actually fold the best hand, assuming he is up against a straight. Your bet is essentially a bluff and a value bet at the same time, otherwise known as a range merge.
It’s worth nothing that if you merge your range too often, opponents will start adjusting by slow playing their strong hands, so it’s important to stay balanced.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Commenting here again just to bring it back up to the top.