Range of call OR in nl2

Bleeis

Bleeis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, someone could tell me which hands play call to open raise, it is that they generate many doubts.
If someone has a table by positions, I would appreciate a lot if you share that table with me

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, someone could tell me which hands play call to open raise, it is that they generate many doubts.
If someone has a table by positions, I would appreciate a lot if you share that table with me
https://www.zenithpoker.com/preflop/#:~:text=These preflop ranges have been,the range to be balanced.

These preflop ranges were generated with a solver and over 1TB of RAM. They have calling and 3 bet ranges vs. several different open raise sizes.

For 5% (medium) rake.

These ranges assume strong opponents and that the blinds squeeze and 3 bet a lot, so at NL2 you can loosen your calling range up a bit in position depending on how soft the competition is.

You can also look up pokersnowie preflop advisor. Which is also quite tight in terms of calling open raises. The reason being the blinds can profitably squeeze vs calling ranges which are weak.

Basically use those ranges as starting points and turn some of the medium strength 3 bets into calls (but only if your opponents would fold too much if you 3 bet). And if the competition is really weak add a few more connectors and small pairs.

Some theory if you want to be exploiting optimally:
Vs weak players, assuming rake is low enough and there are no difficult regs to your Left who will 3 bet and squeeze a lot, you can call with small pocket pairs, suited connectors, and if your opponents are weak / play fit or fold and you have position, or if they are shitty and pay off nut hands with any pair, then you can add suited gappers to uour calling range. Do not call connectors from small blind if your opponents are not passive.

If your opponents fold to 3 bets a lot, start bluffing them more by 3 betting suited connectors. By default you can 3bet bluff 78s 67s 56s as well as A5/4s vs late position opens, and you can add more vs players who fold a lot preflop. Alternatively if these same players will give your their stack when you hit straight or flush and they have a pair, then it's much better to call. Suited connectors play better with small stack to pot ratios postflop but high rake and nitty postflop opponents cancel this out and make them better 3 bet bluffs.

If rake is high you are better off folding a large portion of your calling range and 3 betting the rest assuming your fold equity is good

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The natural tendency of new players is to press "call" a lot, because folding is boring, and 3-betting seem to risky. But most would actually be better off, if they started out doing the opposite and never pressed "call", unless they are in big blind seat. Calling from other seats can also be profitable with certain hands, but rarely if you only rely on hitting some hand and dont understand to implement more advanced strategies like floating or bluff-raising. Or how to get away, when you have the second best hand.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What fundiver said is very solid advice. The gap between your vpip/pfr should not be high save for rare situations.

I highly recommend you read the grinder's manual, instead of just following range charts. You will understand why certain hands shouldn't make good calls (and why in certain situations those same hands can).