Raising

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are dealt one of the better hands (say QJ Suited) sitting under the gun in a six handed game, The question is do you simply call to keep most of the other player in, or raise and frighten them off?. What are the odds you will better your hand on the flop. Chances are the flop will not help and your raise is wasted/

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will throw a small bet in hopes of seeing a cheap flop. If someone raises me I'll probably fold if it puts me on tilt following the action. If I'm running hot and hitting hand after hand then I'll play them and most likely win with them because that is luck/statistics.

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are dealt one of the better hands (say QJ Suited) sitting under the gun in a six handed game, The question is do you simply call to keep most of the other player in, or raise and frighten them off?. What are the odds you will better your hand on the flop. Chances are the flop will not help and your raise is wasted/

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually online I get or see somebody else having an Ax suited and me with QJs, both being the same suit. I am weary sitting in the early seat to jump out there. So..I will play the preflop small and see what happens. If the flop goes my way, 1/2 bet, then 3/4 bet the turn, unless I "feel" the villain has me.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QJ suited is not that good.
It's ok to raise but just be cautious. Often you are outkicked by someone who calls or 3bets you.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QJ suited is not that good.
It's ok to raise but just be cautious. Often you are outkicked by someone who calls or 3bets you.

+1 Even in 6-max, QJ is dangerously likely to cost a ton when you make the second best hand.

S

Stickyfish

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG 6 max. QJs suited is always a standard open. It doesn't really matter what the flop is. You have to learn to play your entire Range vs Opponent's Range.

Last edited:
H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You shouldn't have a limping range from any position. Reason being that pre-flop each NL holdem hand has a significant amount of equity against each other hand. If you can get people to fold their equity share that is an overall gain for you.

The only positions you should cold call an open raise are the button and the big blind. Button since you have position on the entire table, and the big blind since you close the action and are often presented with better pot odds.

In the case of QJs UTG in a 6max game. That's a very standard open raise and a fold against a 3-bet from any position.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I can do is call a little to see the flop. I can raise if everyone folds.

F

findybaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to wait for the flop, and if I connect then have a bet