Raise or Check-raise?

M

milagua

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is better? Check-raise or direct raise in the following situations?
1) When you have a draw
2) When you hit the flop
How do you play it?

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it all depends but with a draw you might just want a free card sometimes to see if you hit. When you really hit a monster I would check raise or check call if my opponent is aggressive. Give them a chance to bluff at it and put some money in the pot. Let them keep betting then raise at the end when there is already a lot of money in the pot, hopefully they'll feel they need to call your last bet because of the odds. If my opponent is not too aggressive I might just straight raise and hope they have a little something to come along with.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) When you have a draw
2) When you hit the flop
How do you play it?

I find check-raising a shady business. It is a powerful move against aggressive players, but you are running the risk of giving away a free card. Before check-raising I want to be sure I am dealing with an aggressive player. Using check-raising with a draw is a semi bluff and in my opinion should only be used once in a blue moon.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant give you "ultimate" answer. For me, it still depends on more factors, like number of players involved, opponents image, stack size... For example, If I was like 20BB deep and I would know about my opponent, that he cbets flop a lot I would consider check-raise allin. But if I would have like 50BB and my opponent would be TAG I would go for check-call on flop and if missed then probably fold on turn (depends on betsizing).

T

TheLegend27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) When you have a draw
2) When you hit the flop
How do you play it?

This is all extremely situational Milagua. Are you trying to do this on the flop, turn, or river?

When I'm on a strong draw such as open ended straight/flush draw I like the check raise on turn more.

On the flop, I gauge the level of strength from my opponent. If my opponent has top pair or over pairs they'll generally C-bet for value if they were the preflop raiser. In this situation, I'll check call if I'm out of position. Leading out seems too strong if I hit my draw and the opponent with the ovepair/top pair might be scared off. By checking, I feign weakness and allow them to keep barreling away.

If I've hit the flop and the board is dry, I might let them catch up a bit. The only way you'll ever get paid off is if your opponent hits the board in some way. If it's a wet board, I'll definitely fire 2/3 pot value at the bare minimum to charge them for their draws.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) When you have a draw
2) When you hit the flop
How do you play it?

when playing 1 on 1 with a flush draw on the flop and aggressive opponent I would have played check call on the flop, on the turn after betting players have made a fold. If the opponent is not aggressive the turn raise, re-raise did fold..:( So the opponent threw on the turn your raise needs to be more Bank or less Bank. good luck :)

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A check/raise has its place like everything else in poker.

One thing about a check raise is that it will often give you 2 free cards. It tends to give people pause and think about their hand, causing a turn check, just to see what you are going to do....It can keep you from having to call large turn bets with a draw trying to get to the river.

M

milagua

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, dudes! Are there any other opinions?

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost always raise when I have a draw combination.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of position:
When having draws i like to check-call, and if the opponent is very tight i like to raise out of position, so i can try to steal the pot right away, if he calls on my donk bet on flop, the turn i just check and call if it's not a big bet (even if did't hit the draw), on the river is check fold if you didnt hit anything.
When I hit the flop out of position I really like to check raise if I have the top pair, fi he calls, then you just check on the turn, unless you hit something again and made a better hand, then you can check-shove, on the river it's more important to know what he has than what you have, and then you decide what to do
On position:
On draws, raise aggressivelly, the semi bluff can protect your hand and you have bigger chance to steal the pot, if not you have also the chance of improving your hand to the best.
When hitting the flop, I like just to make a standart cbet, so the opponent thinks you are doing a standart think, and then you go aggressive on him on the turn and river.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't really make a statement about this since it ofcourse depends on the situation.

However you should try to mix in a bit of both, for example if you always check-raise on a draw your game becomes a bit unbalanced and people know the strength of your hands a bit more easily. So mix in a bit of both.

No1eJoker

No1eJoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes like to check (when I hit the flop and I know I'm very strong) to opponents think that I have nothing, and when he bet I re-raise him.

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would usually delayed c-bet, meaning if i made a strong hand on the flop i would check then bet on the turn or raise on the turn. However after playing numerous live games ive decided to change it up as ive realise my opposition to does the same thing. So i might open raise preflop and if i made a strong hand on the flop i would c-bet, hoping my opponents would misread me and fall for my trap, thinking im c-betting to just steal the pot or might be probably sitting on just a middle pair or some equivalent hand.
When i have a draw i would usually bet depending on my oppents, if im in position and the action comes round to me as a check i would bet. however if im on the draw and in position and there has ben a raise or 3-bet i would call to see the next street depending on the pot odds and my opponents and the ranges in think they are on. SO many variables to consider

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to raise in this situation if everyone checks. In this case, two things happen. I expect the fifth card and at the same time I increase the pot on the table. And secondly - if the fifth card does not come out it's just my bluff will be. Sometimes such a bluff goes well. It all depends on the reaction of rivals to my raise.

Y

Yoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Situational you can raise but i mostly play check, draw you have is in mind of the oponents to if you raise the other can re-raise if he have strong card to.Against agressive players he will continue betting and call will be almost the same as your raise 10% will fold on your raise and you'l have to pay even more to see fifth who mostly times isnt compleating the draw checking is my option and i ''pray to not pay to much to see fith'.Dont follow all your cards most of them arnt completing draw of strainght/ flushes.A case that can be raise re-raise and i use this to is when you have K2D flop is K+2D cards my only situation when a flush draw i play agressive.

vse i sra3y

vse i sra3y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the number of players and their game style.

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find check-raising a shady business. It is a powerful move against aggressive players, but you are running the risk of giving away a free card. Before check-raising I want to be sure I am dealing with an aggressive player. Using check-raising with a draw is a semi bluff and in my opinion should only be used once in a blue moon.

I completely agree with you - there are no free maps :)