Question about strategy, for a beginner

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I'm a beginner player. I like to play mostly tournaments. Almost always I play in a very conservative way, seeing between 15% and 20% of the hands, but yesterday something interesting happened to me: I played a tournament whose prize did not really matter to me, so I played just to have fun and I did it in a much more aggressive way than usual. Well, I got the second place among 2500 participants (and I lost the first place in the last play). With my previous way of playing the most I had achieved had been to be among the first twenty. So now I have been thinking, and I would like to receive the advice of more experienced people: is it a good strategy to play very aggressive during the first stage of the tournaments, to achieve the largest stack of chips and then "control" to the opponents? I mean, I know I took a lot of risks that could have left me out in the middle of the tournament but, could it be more profitable to play that way and stay out of many but you win from time to time?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A good strategy for a beginner is to always be patient and wait for good cards. An aggressive game is effective if you have enough experience and relevant skills.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The proof is in the pudding,i say.:) Do what works.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I'm a beginner player. I like to play mostly tournaments. Almost always I play in a very conservative way, seeing between 15% and 20% of the hands, but yesterday something interesting happened to me: I played a tournament whose prize did not really matter to me, so I played just to have fun and I did it in a much more aggressive way than usual. Well, I got the second place among 2500 participants (and I lost the first place in the last play). With my previous way of playing the most I had achieved had been to be among the first twenty. So now I have been thinking, and I would like to receive the advice of more experienced people: is it a good strategy to play very aggressive during the first stage of the tournaments, to achieve the largest stack of chips and then "control" to the opponents? I mean, I know I took a lot of risks that could have left me out in the middle of the tournament but, could it be more profitable to play that way and stay out of many but you win from time to time?

Maybe it has something to do with the image you usually have... If people know you for being tight, that could have influenced their decisions.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I'm a beginner player. I like to play mostly tournaments. Almost always I play in a very conservative way, seeing between 15% and 20% of the hands,

To begin with, try adding connectors to your range, especially if the multibank is foreseen. The basic rule is to not replay hands on post-flop, while pre-flop you can slightly expand your range. It would also be very useful to work on push / fold in special programs. And of course, the foundation of all the basics, these are video tutorials of successful players. Wish you luck!

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello! Thank you all for your advice. I'm trying to find a balance between aggression and patience :). I have entered the prize of 4 tournaments in the last two days so I think it is working for me. Thanks again!

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Finding alot of 50/50 flip situations plus overlay and finding a good % of Hands stolen preflop isn't necessarily a "maniac strategy"
In MTTs I believe the most important thing to winning them is accumulating chips

The most money rewarded is 1st place and can be up to 40%
30th place may be 0.2%

G

GHz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good to go varying the game mode, so other opponents will have difficulty reading your game... Near the bubble you can attack more opponents with low stack

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who are just starting to play poker, it is important to strike a balance between entertainment and pleasant excitement, on the one hand, and, on the other, such monetary spending that will not be significant for you.
1. Your level of aggressiveness should be higher than the level that is comfortable for you.
2. need and patience

3 In poker there is a saying: look who you play with, and not what you play with. This statement figuratively reports that poker is a situational game. Because your hand is good or bad only in relation to the fact that at a particular point in time in the hands of the enemy.

4. Analyze the game in the long term
5. Develop your skills
6 discipline

I

Igrok1385385

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to take into account the character of the man himself - whether he likes to take risks - you can try to play aggressive. And if a person in your life prefers not to take risks, and likes the stability and peace of mind - it is better to play tight and wait for good cards.

B

bagoly696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the start of the game, I had a lot of patience for free freerolls. And many times I got a good rank. But I'll see what the quality of the tournament is and I don't play if I don't pay for the long sitting at the poker table. I loved the manipulative game because I noticed that it was not just the top pair that had to wait for good results. All the chips I put in are not a real poker game if you already see the hand to make sure your pot.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight aggressive is a winning formula
keep it up
good luck