Question about Nash push or fold

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hiho,

I have a question about using Nash. Nash says when should push or fold a hand. For example, I have Q7s as a caller, my nash table (with Ante) says with 9.2 BB+ is push.
When I am in a spot have 40BB and Villian pushes 20BB I should call it?
Or did it mean I should only push, when I get covered?

greets
Bhuelse

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember that the "Nash equilibrium" tells us how to define and find our "optimal" ranges based on the opponents we have at the table. In "theory" if our opponent deviates from the "Nash equilibrium" and we follow him to the letter, we can take advantage of his long-term mistakes.

But of course this is just theory and when put into practice it is a bit different, it is generally recommended to use Nash when the effective stack is less than or equal to 10BB, for larger stacks (greater than 15BB) the Nash strategy is not the most "optimal".

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I agree with GIRFIED that Nash is mostly useful with stacks 10BB or lower, and usually I don't bother myself with it unless I'm in a really tight heads up situation.

Are you possibly looking at the chart on HoldemResource's site? That 9.2 seemed familiar but it is actually the number for Q7o.

For the sake of the example and to answer your actual question how to use the chart:

When I am in a spot have 40BB and Villian pushes 20BB I should call it?
Or did it mean I should only push, when I get covered?

lets assume your hand is Q7o and you stack is 40BB and villain has 20BB.The stack size to consider is always the smaller one, and since the villain has more than 9.2BB's the chart tells you to call.

But in real life you still have a healthy 40BB stack and I wouldn't risk losing half of it with just Q7o.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to adjust your calling range to the villans shoving range, and if they are shoving less than Nash you should adjust. Also if the villan has 20bbs and you have 40bbs, then 20bbs is the effective stack size. And even with 20bbs effective Q7s is a fold and QTs would be the bottom of your Nash calling range(assuming they are Nash chart shoving).

Folding in Poker