Question about if the opponent may have a better hand

E

Evighet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, if by the river you have a flush, however also possible for your opponent to have a full house or four of a kind ect. Or on any street you have a good hand however the board texture may provide your opponent a better hand.

Is there or what is the theory that relates to these situations that help one determine if to bet,call,fold ect ?

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well one thing you don't want to start doing is be scared of the monsters under the bed, especially with hands like a flush being beat by full house or stuff like that. This is where reading your opponents come into play a bit more. Depending on how they played at different parts of the hand you can work to gauge their hand strength and see if one of these hands is in their range. I'd suggest looking up hand ranges and hand reading guides online and you'll see what I'm talking about here, but otherwise there's no real theory about what to do if those type of hands on the board. Generally though you want to play your good hand (sets, straights, flushes, etc.) aggressively post-flop and when you made the hand so that villains don't get the chance to make these sort of hands. Sometimes you gotta take calculated risks when a villain has those type of hands, because on the other side of the table they might be thinking the same thing about your hand if they don't have the monster. But really look into hand reading a bit and I'm, sure that will help you out some with this.

E

Evighet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot, i understand it better now :)

Also, i've since found that the theory of reversed implied odds may apply to this.

A

Acunaaldje

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, if by the river you have a flush, however also possible for your opponent to have a full house or four of a kind ect. Or on any street you have a good hand however the board texture may provide your opponent a better hand.

Is there or what is the theory that relates to these situations that help one determine if to bet,call,fold ect ?
Most of the time I only play if I know almost for sure I'll win, if I'm expecting it will be a stand of or lose I fold...

R

Rational Madman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a scientific art, it is not an artistic science.

Paint as you please, you will make wrong calls just make sure that when you make the right calls it earns you more than you lost i the wrong ones. :)

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Win the big hands, lose the small hands.
In the situation you have the nuts in the river, bet the most you can.
In the situation the opponent may have a better hand I do not usually raise max, I go in with a minimum raise in case I should lose this pot. At least if I lose, I do not lose a bundle.

T

TheBull953

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet size is really the biggest determinant here.

Here's some math: if opponent bets 1/2 pot, then they only need to win the pot 1 out of 3 times to break even. (+1pot -1/2pot - 1/2pot = 0). In this spot if you fold more than 2/3 times, on average, the opponent could exploit you by betting 1/2 pot all day long.

Using this info, plus info on the opponent and this can make call/fold decisions a lot more black/white.

viniciusamrs

viniciusamrs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't think that have a theory about that, only good calls or not. It's all depends of your situation on table. Sometimes the flop didnt come anythink to you and your opponent raise against u, so which cards i need to do a better game? My outs are good? My odds are good? How your opponent are playing, he's tight or loose? This is all the questions u need to do to your self in less than 10 seconds. hahaahha

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we must look at how opponents play (easier in just 6 max table) the it is easy to determine that the opponent has the best hand when he makes a bet and then a check or minimum bet but it should still feel.good luck to you

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands