Question about choosing spots to commit, vs waiting for a better one

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say you have 20 BB's left, and get half your chips into the middle in a heads-up pot before getting raised all in, and you have the nut flush draw. You're getting laid 3:1 on a 1:3 chance of hitting and being good. If you win you have 40 BB, and if you fold you have 10 BB.

Assuming you can get the 10 BB in good, say a 2:1 favorite, would it be better to wait for this spot and have a 2:1 chance to double up to 20BB again, or just better to get it all in with the even money chance at 40BB?

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this pot for sure you have to call, you're commited and you have the odds to call all in.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I'm just playing the odds at any given time really. The odds of me getting a hand strong enough to shove and be a 2:1 favorite in the next 2 orbits are pretty bad. Honestly, depending on the situation, ICM, etc- I'm shoving my premium hands over any open w/ a 20 BB stack.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the hand in any given situation to be honest. Hands like flush draws are a lot easier to raise all in with than they are to call down a shove with in a lot of situations. Fold equity is incredibly important in poker, that is getting you opponent to fold.

In your example it assumes you are in position I think? If you're planning on calling the bet before the jam that made it 20bbs in the pot with a flush draw I think it's better to jam before you get to that situation. You are already considering going broke the hand you hold, you COULD hit your hand, but if you go all in you could make your hand AND villain can fold.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally you are commited here and you have already invested half of your chips so with such situation and such pot odds calling is better decision in my opinion. In particular situations when you are on or very near the bubble and cashing is the most important you can fold and just wait till you get to the money.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am of the sort that i would not have went in 10bb if I am not able to put in the other 10bb. So i ask myself before I put in the first 10bb, would i be willing to put in my last 10bb, if not, i would not put in my first 10bb in the first place.