One question

tonzinho7620

tonzinho7620

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When there are limpers on the table then there is a raise and we have a good hand to 3 bet and we should also punish the limpers. for example 3x the raise plus the limpers?

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When there are limpers on the table then there is a raise and we have a good hand to 3 bet and we should also punish the limpers. for example 3x the raise plus the limpers?

So, I'm assuming you're in late position and not on the blinds. If on the blinds, that means you are first to act after the flop. You better have AA, KK, QQ, or AK if you're going to do this, unless you are trying a squeeze play, and that is another conversation entirely.

If you're in late position with a "good hand" (however you define that), then you should raise about 3x the BB + the limpers. For example, if it's a $1/$2 game, if you have three limpers before it gets to you, raise $6 + another $2 for each limper (i.e., $12). This is just a baseline...$15 would probably be okay, but don't go too low, because then the limpers have odds to call you.

I think you are mis-understanding the term "3 bet." As I understand it, a 3-bet is when someone raises and then someone else RE-raises. That's a 3-bet, to me. If you are just considering an open-raise to a bunch of limpers, then you are not 3-betting, you are simply raising (open-raising, because no one else raised before you).

If there are a bunch of limpers, someone raises, and you are considering a re-raise, then that is a 3-bet, and you better have a strong hand, and you better make it a good raise to get some hands to fold, giving you +ev on the flop.

I mis-read your post. You defined 3-bet correctly. My bad....I apologize. Yes, I'd raise 3x the raise plus some of the limpers. A little less, a little more in some situations. Nothing is clear-cut in poker :)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :).

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
In theory - yes - but in freerolls and and in micros people do most peculiar things. They do limp even with big hands so be careful. This approach might not work even most of the time in those levels.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In theory - yes - but in freerolls and and in micros people do most peculiar things. They do limp even with big hands so be careful. This approach might not work even most of the time in those levels.

Agreed. I get very suspicious of players who limp into almost every pot they play. Proceed with caution.

Players at these levels are often "learning" the game and don't always make the mathematical "correct" play.

Shoves on the river, for example....putting in $5 to win $0.50, for example. They probably have *something* and are hoping new, inexperienced players will call them light. The only time I'd call something like that is if I had the nuts or near-nuts....why risk so much for so little? It makes no sense.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to write what I think you mean which is blinds 15/30 and UTG +1 limps to 30, MP1 calls, CO raises to 120 and we are on the button with a strong hand like AK. If this is the scenario you are asking about and whether 3x ish over the raiser is fine or not I believe raising to 360 or so might be fine but probably 480 or so is better. The reason is not because of the limpers but because of the one raiser. The players who limped are either calling a 3 bet or they arent meaning that if you raise to 360 or raise to 720 their actions will mostly be the same. They either have a hand they will pay to see a flop with or they will fold to any sized raise because it is a sign of strength. The raiser is the one who will call, fold, or 4 bet depending on sizing, especially when out of position. The larger you make the raise (within reason) the more incentive they have out of position to fold.