Question

2cards

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys so quitting has crossed my mind but I get the feeling it might not be the right option and here’s why, what happens is my hand by hand win rate (just literally calculated it) is good, above 50% and not close, I tend to win money that way then I loose it all on one or two hands, idk if I’m becoming too loose but there’s a leak somewhere and I can’t put my finger on it. Any feedback would help, thanks guys[emoji848]

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It has happened many times. I come with very good streaks, playing good poker, and then in very few hands, I end up losing it. I believe that control and knowing how to foldear is fundamental. You do not have to be embarrassed to fold at any time, however much this may cause our rival to win us and be wrong with ourselves for losing and showing this defeat. We must remain strong waiting for our hand and be able to take advantage of it.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your hand has an 80% chance of winning remember it also has a 20% chance of losing. It happens

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might be playing too wide open, it's not worth playing trash hands. I know it get's annoying when like 20-30 hands you get dealt nothing. But poker is as it is. Don't give your BR away with shitty hands, just wait for a good hand to play it smart.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might be getting all-in with hands you just cant fold, lower full houses etc or second set. So you will be getting your full stack in, if thats the case variance should bring those stacks back in time :)

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much is one hand actually worth?

One thing I always try to do is stop and ask myself, is this one hand worth my entire stack? Here's how it would play out.
NOTE: Assume this is my very first hand sitting at the table with these players to eliminate all of the complications and considerations that go into reading players.
I start with 100BBs and put in 3BB preflop with A9o and 3 callers.
Flop comes A96 rainbow.
Now, I've got a decent hand. So I bet, say 10BB into a 9BB pot. Get 2 callers and one fold so the pot is now around 40BB (to keep the math easy).
On the turn I've got 87BB left and we've got A962 with 2 hearts. I check and someone else goes all-in for 90BB and the other guy calls, so to call I would be all-in, but the greedy part of me looks at the size of the pot and says it would be a triple up and I would be calling 87BB to win 300BBs. Personally, I hate math, but I would look at this situation and say, I have everything except trips beat, they may be on a flush draw, and I have 6 outs for a full house. I'm in a very strong position here and want to call.
But then I ask myself, is Top Two Pair worth my entire stack? Regardless of what I have right now, even if I have them beat right now, is it worth it to put everything on the line over a hope that I win the hand at showdown? Now, the math may or may not be saying I should make the call, but like I said I hate math (which is why I'm a fish). So, here's how I would look at this in relation to each type of game.

Cash game:
Now, I know when using proper BRM you would look at this and probably say it's worth the entire stack because you've still got 20-40 buy-ins. But even in that situation you have to ask yourself how long it took for you to earn those 87BBs. Let's say it took 3 sessions at 2 hours each to earn those 100BBs (some sessions are up, some are down, so we'll call it 3 because you're good). What I would be asking myself in this case is, is this top two pair worth 6 hours of my poker time? What if I can only play 2 hours per day. Is this worth 3 days of my poker life?

MTT:
Again, proper BRM says you can afford to lose the tourney if this is a good call because you can afford to lose the buyin. But, again, what are you truly losing? You're truly losing 1st place money. You're sacrificing, say $1000 on this hand. Is it really worth that much money to you? Is it really worth the risk to simply be in a better position and not guaranteed a money spot let alone 1st? So in this case I would be comparing the 3 possible stacks I would have (87BB, 300BB, 0BB) and ask myself is this one hand truly worth losing $1000 if I'm wrong?

Single Table SnG:
Now, in a Single Table SnG, there is something other than time, buy-in and 1st place money to consider. Since there are so few players at a Single table Sit-n-Go and since there is a very limited number of total chips (say 3,000 to 5,000BBs on the table), the chance of winning such a high % of the total chips as well as the chance of earning a large chunk of the total chips. then I would almost always call this situation.

As for Cash and MTTs? I would look at those situations and know I should fold.
But then again . . . I did say how it "would" play out . . . :deal: