Psychological health

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think quite a lot of players have psychological health problems because it's poker and constant stress is the norm when playing. I'm wondering how much of you have lost your temper. I for example broke some keyboards and mice, but the monitor did not touch)))

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think quite a lot of players have psychological health problems because it's poker and constant stress is the norm when playing. I'm wondering how much of you have lost your temper. I for example broke some keyboards and mice, but the monitor did not touch)))

I think a lot of players have psychological problems prior to even playing poker (& no doubt some become more exaggerated after playing for awhile). The game seems to attract them.

Personally I don't experience any stress while playing poker so I'm not sure where 'constant stress is the norm when playing' comes from (I guess that's your own experience & perhaps of other players you know?). I don't experience any stress at all while playing. The game is about making decisions... I don't find that to be stressful.
I also don't lose my temper very often while playing. I may get annoyed or disappointed at times while playing tourneys online but am over it within a couple hands.... maybe a min. or two if it was extraordinarily crushing at a crucial time or something.
I've never broken anything while playing poker.... except for maybe a mouse & that was only because it got worn out from using it so often. I hear about it from others though.... just doesn't make sense to me to break stuff. (oh no I lost a hand... now I'm gonna bust my $50 mouse ???).
I have poker friends who've put holes in their walls, busted monitors, keyboards etc. Maybe time to take a break ... idk.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I just would break my phone from work. :mad:
But nothing with what I am playing poker.
Poker is usually calming me down. The only exception is, when I have too many tables opened. But even then, I would not break anything. Usually, I am calm while playing.

M

mulliongc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing poker for real money and if you are playing for stakes that you can't afford, well, I guess that could cause anyone undue stress. But I play poker for the sheer enjoyment, win or lose, no stress.

N

NDim

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I haven't broken anything yet, but I can say all sorts of bad words.:)

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not break anything, but a lot of nerves were spent, now only freerolls, and I am calm, I do not lose anything.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know I personally have mental health issues including major depression. A lot of times poker was the only thing that kept me from doing something stupid because it acted as a distraction from my feelings. While I was playing poker I could focus entirely on that and not how I was feeling at the time. This lead to many banged desks, choice yelled words and thrown objects.

For anyone with that problem, get help. It took me 20 years, but I eventually found a doctor and a set of meds that completely took away my symptoms. The key for me was saying, "screw side effects, I'm going to stick with a set of meds no matter what." Now, even the worst bad beats in the most important games just result in a "well, that sucked".

If you need help, look for help. It can work . . . eventually.