The "proper" way to play JJ

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a topic that I'm sure makes it's rounds on a regular basis. However, when you bring it up everyone has a different answer. I myself am of the mindset to play them like pocket 8's or 9's. You have yourself a decent starting hand with pocket Jacks. However unless you hit a set or quads, your pair can often be beat. So my thoughts are 3 bet, but remain cautious. Don't be afraid to fold those good looking fellas if need be. What are your thoughts? :jd4::jd4:

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think playing JJ depends on a lot of factors, like how many chips you have relative to your opponents, whether someone is playing aggressively in the hand, your position at the table, and other situations that you should look into. Both JJ and any other pairs should be played always thinking about the possible actions of the opponents that could win our hand in play.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just play it according to the board and the action as well as the players

JJ good showdown value but don't play a big pot

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
With the JJ you must be carefull. You need a good position and a good moment to play them aggressively. It is a pair that can make you an unwanted damage, so move wisely.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is enough strong to 3 bet. At post-flop, You don't need to hit set to make a value bet, it is strong to value bet when the board is not dangerous. And JJ also needs protection in the later street.

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One of my favorite videos! :rofl:

watch

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no proper way to play top pair they can be beaten just like cracked aces.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of my favorite videos! :rofl:

OMG thank you so much for this one, posted February 23, 2009, almost 13 years ago... but yes I certainly do remember it from those "good old days" when we Americans could still play on Full Tilt and poker stars... an absolute epic, classic video, and so hilarious!!!

You made my night with this one Delenia, thank you!!!! Blast from the past. :D

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
This is a topic that I'm sure makes it's rounds on a regular basis. However, when you bring it up everyone has a different answer. I myself am of the mindset to play them like pocket 8's or 9's. You have yourself a decent starting hand with pocket Jacks. However unless you hit a set or quads, your pair can often be beat. So my thoughts are 3 bet, but remain cautious. Don't be afraid to fold those good looking fellas if need be. What are your thoughts? :jd4::jd4:

Dont be afraid to fold eh? As long as you arent (never) doing that you should be fine ...

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There should be no questions on low flops, for example I always have questions about how to play such hands on high flops)))The point is, we have to have a plan for every hand.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So lets look at this closely - we know that many, many players cant fold an ace of any kicker so those kind of hands are always a factor, overcards are 4x Q/K/A and often when we return back to the ace rag - its the rag that hits and then that opens up other 2 pair, trip possibilities alongside the overcard A.
So - playing JJ for me is factored on my position/bet size and table texture - do you have players known for set mining/shoving on mid pairs? Do you have players on ranges that you know are flip kings and jam on AK/AQ?
JJ for me is all about seeing a flop and then determining my next move unless im heads up and im looking to flip at worst - its a good hand but not a great hand but if you are shoving 10 10 versus me, im always down for a bit of that action!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is not profitable to play this hand slowly, but it cannot be overestimated !!! Playing a pocket pair of jacks as 88-99 is usually played is also not the best option !!!

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, a pair of pocket JJs is a very problematic hand, I myself don't know how to play it correctly, it seems to be not a small pair, but it is very vulnerable to high cards! But I usually play it passively in order not to lose too much, and if I hit the set I can win a lot! I am also very interested in how other members of our forum are playing this hand! Good luck to everyone at the tables!

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Th big gamee

We move all in in big tournaments like ScOOP check to see the flop because the flop always comes A,K,Q if it doesn't come we can continue all in

47Belarus

47Belarus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, a pair of jacks is not the hand with which you have to play aggressively. it is better to play slowly.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A pocket pair of jacks should be played according to the situation. That is, use a pair of jacks, taking into account the nature of the tournament, the size of your stack, etc. There cannot be one template.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it is a good technique that you use. For my part, I play as if they were pocket of 2s. I do this, the probabilities that a higher card will come out is extremely high, I could tell you that out of every 100 times that I receive pocket of Jacks, I win about 10 times and because I have really known how to play it and because luck has accompanied me , but the truth, if I can tell you that they are the most deceptive hand in poker. Or maybe I am only conditioned by my experience, the same, the reality of one can be the fantasy for another. Regards.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket jacks win a small pot a decent percentage of the time. But you need to know how to fold them or you will lose money with them.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I like jacks better than kings. Jacks are in my opinion easy to play. The problem I find is many people know its a top hand but cant change there thought on the flop and beyond. When the flop is not good for us we need to realize they are just as easy to fold as pocket 2's would be. No I am not saying we automatically do this but we need to approach it this way. If I raise and get 3 callers and the flop is AKQ in am pretty much done with them. If I am heads up i will use my best judgement if there is just one over card on the flop.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You do want to isolate the hand in position and play it strong without being married to it. You really hate to take a huge chip lose with that hand.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't overestimate this hand! The main rule! :)

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding it Preflop :/

Just kidding, however I treat it as a minor pair, if something bigger appears at flop I tend to control the pot!

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
with a pair of JJ I go to the game! how I'm going to play, clearly observing some factors, opponent .how is my image at the table and especially my position and my chips !

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the name of the god of poker, I hate this hand. I do not know how to take advantage of it and it always leads me to ruin