problem hands

A

alwaysonthebeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just started playin and have been in a couple of tourneys in the last 2 days so learning more and more as I go on.. I’m trying to play as they tell you to in supersystem2.. have a few questions so hopefully a few of you will know what to do:

If you have a pocket pair jacks or lower will you always call the blinds in any position? How big a raise should you call depending on your chips, the blind, size of the pair and positon?

Doyle Brunson recommends that sometimes with trash or trouble hands you should sometimes play your position on the button by betting 4 times the big blind before the flop, then about 15 after if called. How often should you do this?

He outlines trouble hands as AQ AJ A10 KQ KJ K10 QJ Q10 J10 98, and says to only call a raise when in late position. Are there any exceptions to this? And should you always call the big blind with these, even in early position?

When calculating the odds on a draw, I’m still unsure as whether to go by the hit by turn or hit by river odds. Is there any general concensus on this?

When holding 2 cards to a straight flush, what is the approximate probability of hitting a two pair or better after all the cards are dealt?

I’m also still unsure as how to adapt my game when the numbers decrease at the table. Last time the numbers at the table would drop from 11 to as low as 6 before we joined with another table and at the final table it could obviously go down to the final two.
Has anyone got any good links or advice for this rather than “just play more games and you’ll get used to it”?

A

alwaysonthebeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just started playin and have been in a couple of tourneys in the last 2 days so learning more and more as I go on.. I’m trying to play as they tell you to in supersystem2.. have a few questions so hopefully a few of you will know what to do:

If you have a pocket pair jacks or lower will you always call the blinds in any position? How big a raise should you call depending on your chips, the blind, size of the pair and positon?

Doyle Brunson recommends that sometimes with trash or trouble hands you should sometimes play your position on the button by betting 4 times the big blind before the flop, then about 15 after if called. How often should you do this?

He outlines trouble hands as AQ AJ A10 KQ KJ K10 QJ Q10 J10 98, and says to only call a raise when in late position. Are there any exceptions to this? And should you always call the big blind with these, even in early position?

When calculating the odds on a draw, I’m still unsure as whether to go by the hit by turn or hit by river odds. Is there any general concensus on this?

When holding 2 cards to a straight flush, what is the approximate probability of hitting a two pair or better after all the cards are dealt?

I’m also still unsure as how to adapt my game when the numbers decrease at the table. Last time the numbers at the table would drop from 11 to as low as 6 before we joined with another table and at the final table it could obviously go down to the final two.
Has anyone got any good links or advice for this rather than “just play more games and you’ll get used to it”?

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

When you're calling a bet on the flop, you're only buying 1 card. So, you should use the hit by turn odds, unless you think there's a very good chance your opponent will check the turn. More often than not, you'll be facing another bet on the turn. That's why players almost never get direct odds to draw to a hand, and must rely on implied odds to do so.

A raise in position on the flop can also buy you a free river card if you can convince your opponent to check to you. But that runs the risk of a reraise.

A

alwaysonthebeer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
appreciate the replies man, also tbh i'm only a newbie and have a real important game on fri that i cant miss, i have a simple enough way of playing that isnt great but doesnt make too many poor decisions, however the above questions are wrecking my head!

if anyone knows how they would play any of the given scenarios a reply like so would be super:

in early position i would call (A)xthe blinds with (name) pairs.
In middle i would play the above hands at (B)x the blinds and also play (name) pairs at (C) times the blinds.
In late I would play all the above at (D) times the blinds and additionally play (name) pairs at (E) times the blinds.

Considering you have neither a tight or loose image, one in 6 with absolute rags.

in early position i would call (A)xthe blinds with (name) hands.
In middle i would play the above hands at (B)x the blinds and also play (name) hands at (C) times the blinds.
In late I would play all the above at (D) times the blinds and additionally play (name) hands at (E) times the blinds.

you should take 1/3 the hit by turn odds and 2/3 the by river odds as weightings when you work this out as this would be about the average taking what odds each individual player would use.

about 8%

Has anyone got any good links or advice for this rather than "just play more games and you’ll get used to it"?

with 8-11 players. play the hands doyle brunson tells you to play (i can post these if needed).
with 5-8 players play what he tells you to do in early position in middle, in middle position in late and add (name) hands to what you play with in early.
with 3-4 players play what he tells you to do in early and middle position in late, add (name) hands to what you play with in middle and (name) hands to what you play with in early.

i know most of my "sample" answers dont make too much sense but if anyone could take the time out to post a reply like the above (even for just one question) it would be hugely appreciated.

thanks

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you sugesting to tigten up as the number of players at the table reduce?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands