Preflop 3Bet%

vox1er

vox1er

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With tracking software, I believe there are pretty well accepted online ranges that are considered "optimal" for winning players. As an example: I'm reading that somewhere around 6 to 9 percent is considered reasonable for preflop 3betting in a full ring game. However, in a live setting, most folks wouldn't be able to judge the difference between say a 5% and 10% 3betting frequency.

So the question is this. How far can we blur the boundary before the decent live players take notice and start making adjustments. 15%, 20%, 30%?

V

vwpokernut

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say 1 in 8 hands versus 1 in 3 hands is quite the difference and you would have to be a phone-tard not to notice

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play the players.

With tracking software, I believe there are pretty well accepted online ranges that are considered "optimal" for winning players. As an example: I'm reading that somewhere around 6 to 9 percent is considered reasonable for preflop 3betting in a full ring game. However, in a live setting, most folks wouldn't be able to judge the difference between say a 5% and 10% 3betting frequency.

So the question is this. How far can we blur the boundary before the decent live players take notice and start making adjustments. 15%, 20%, 30%?

Live players are highly exploitative. You could 3 bet bluff 100% in pos vs a weak fit or fold player. It would not matter if the good players noticed as they can do very little out of position and very seldom see your cards.

Rather than trying to find some imaginary %, you may wish to become very good at reading player pools very quickly.

Jonathan Little has some good points in this youtube video

Hope this helps

:)

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The decision to 3-bet depends more on where your hand is within your range, your opponent's range, and your opponent's play style, than on a percentage. This percentage might be apparent over 20,000 hands or so, but in one game the variance can be huge. The situation matters more than having any certain percentage.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine is always around 3 to 6% in a MTT since 3 bets often equal 4 bet all ins which blow you off the hand unless you know you got 75% or better....and even then your tournament life is at full risk. Point is if you are in an MTT and you 3 bet you better be ready for some action Jack. In Cash game my 3 bet is 5% to 12% higher with position and especially if deep and implied odds on opponent(s).