pre flop strategies

K

Kikentai84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

is just done some calculation about pre flop strategies, mainly how likely is your hand crushed, after you open.

What cutt ooff points is like generely taken?

I can see if i would open with AJ UTG, that AA KK QQ JJ AK AQ got me crushed straight away....and this would happen like with 8 players behind you 23,5% of the time

while you hold AJ a players holding
AA or JJ is 0,45%
KK or QQ is 0,9%
AK or AQ is 2*3*8/50/49 =1,96%

total 3,3%

8 players behind you
23,54%

so 23% you are 30% or less to win the pot but opened for a raises

let do same for 10 10

you only crushed by pair JJ or higher happening 0,45% * 4 = 1,8% of the time, 8 players behind 13,5% only having 20% pot equity.

I can go on for a while...

I just wondering...where do these pre flop strategies come from?

mvg,
Pieter

M

mad_chils139

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these concepts come from softwares where they try to base on percentages and they get these type of ranges and solutions

K

Kikentai84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
y, i just wondering what indifferent point is used. Mathematically speaking i looks llike it should be 50%, but i already now its not like this....

On one hand you can argue every time you hand is like winning more then losing it should be play...idk or you know this principile of noble price winner wich name i forgot...
but what it would mean for poker is that there are hand close at this indiffernce point, that give you the value for putiing in raise only to get a fold, cuase if you get correclty called or re raise you should fold the hand...so actaully this man stated you can play this hand like any worsed hand, like he said you can bluff...cause the value of this hand is they should fold or you lose..you get it, so you can raplce those hands by 7 - 2 and it will makes no difference for your EV, but on the other hand now the other player can call with more hands to icrease your ev, well guess what if you bluff with the lowest hand increase you actual value raise indiffernce point, you can now again in your own cv, making the other guy coorect calling indiference point again etc etc to an new equilibrium....

so you shoould replace your value raise point just above 50-50% and you should make bluffs with bad hands ( in the right hand %)

now i wonder how this software calculated these starting hand and why like a lot of strategies have slightly different hands, cause anyway, after know this, the strategy is incorrect anyway, it states 7-2 is unplayable..but none to less it is usefull.

Last edited:
DianaPrinces

DianaPrinces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds of you winning with AA and the village with KK and 50% for each but the tie and your

K

Kikentai84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would guess and i have to, cause analysing real poker like this, i wont even get started on this for now....i guess, you should throw in a ratio of 7-2 and show it when they have folded and this would prob be the correct way to play poker

K

Kikentai84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have giving it some more thoughts...

i know poker is discontinu and this comes from a continu example...but that wouldn't make a difference and the fact there should be atleast a ratio of 7-2 to be played and maybe even more...and like on every street there should be some bluff ratio replacing some ratio of your raising-fold strategy hands and show those to anyone know you have bluffed...if they dont care nothing has changed...but they should call more otfen to increase there EV that in turn, you can now increase yours aswell...this will bring your poker play to the more mathematically correct play....
i know for sure that in real poker this will mean a ratio on some off your rasing fold hand (wich might had a ratio already, wich is the most likely), that you dont raise anymore, add in some bluff ratio with the worst possible hands and they should know about it... show it in their face which should induce more calls or, more likely, an increased ratio call with some hands. Why you, in turn, add value to some of your hands in certain situations...

I

ivanbbb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no matter what calculations do not do but still the board will play an important role to play post-flop therefore requires more skill

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
equity calculators such as equilab provide these type of calculations base on selected ranges vs selected hand combinations or other ranges. Most of them can show you your hand's equity pre, post, turn and river. Nice little tools to have to practice with off the table so as to give you an idea of hand strenght and chances of make your hand made