Pot odds, Implied odds

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I have a simple question if you let me. How many people calculating pot odds/implied odds and playing with them?

I've heard most of players doesn't care of the odds. Wanted to hear what our forum think about that. Curious about especially Reg players' replies.

Last edited:
swerdnase

swerdnase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't speak for the players you're referencing, but understanding odds is essential. Otherwise, you're just purely gambling. And yes, while there is luck involved with poker, good players try to mitigate/maximize their risk/reward whenever appropriate.

Loyal_Flush

Loyal_Flush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't speak for the players you're referencing, but understanding odds is essential. Otherwise, you're just purely gambling. And yes, while there is luck involved with poker, good players try to mitigate/maximize their risk/reward whenever appropriate.

Thanks for reply. You're right, that would be purely gambling in long term. Those people i've mentioned are playing at micro stakes mostly. Me too. But i think odds are extremely important and just wanted to see what others people think about that.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone. I have a simple question if you let me. How many people calculating pot odds/implied odds and playing with them?

I've heard most of players doesn't care of the odds. Wanted to hear what our forum think about that. Curious about especially Reg players' replies.
I go by feel, I only chase implied odds hands when the player I'm up against has more than 40 or 50bb, and only if I've seen them call big river bets or continue barelling top pair for a big size with a pair.

I came up with a simplified formula for how much you need to win on subsequent streets to break even with implied odds.

Just jump to the end for the formula, everything before that helps explain what exactly the variables are.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/a-handy-simple-implied-odds-formula-441805/

B

bempassado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

True

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me these are useful for guiding decisions (usually calling, or perhaps a small open) but they don't make decisions on their own. For example, knowing we don't have the implied odds for a set mine doesn't make pocket 6's a definite fold as our opponent might lack aggression postflop.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Some players can justify any call with bad chances to win by the implied odds ))

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Odds are very important, but remember, immediate odds can often not be quite good enough to call, while the implied odds can make it an easy call. Careful not to be unrealistic about implied odds though. At the start of a tournament when you might be 200+BB effective stack, it's unlikely that you'll stack your opponent when the pot is only 15BB going to the river...

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator