Pot Odds / Equity Chart

E

Evan Dwyer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a good Pot odds / equity chart they use as reference for calling draws on the turn and river?

A link would be appreciated if you have one.

~E

J

jmbluffnstuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just use the rule of 4 and 2.

Basically you multiply your outs by 4 after the flop, 2 after the turn, to give you the percentage that your hand will hit. You call or place bets based upon this percentage. These odds are not exact, but close.

Example- You hold 10d-Js Flop is 8s 9d Kc You have 8 outs 7777QQQQ
or 8 x 4 = 32%

Lets say for example in this hand your in the SB.. 2 players limped pre at 100 chips, so you were priced in to call based upon your hand value. So the pot has 400 chips in it..... Since you will make your str8 roughly 1 of 3 times, you need to get better then 3 to 1 on your money to call a bet.

You have the option of "semi-bluffing" here as well to price yourself in. A bet of 125 chips, called by 1 other player would bring the pot to 650, giving you 4.2 to 1 on your bet post flop.......positive equity.

You also could check and call a bet that gives you over 3 to 1 pot odds. If the bet is more, for example someone bets the whole pot, you can call based upon implied odds. This being that your sure you can get more chips off the player if you make your hand.

If I'm out of position I generally like to price myself in, and I won't make implied odds calls unless I'm 90% sure my opponent will continue if I make my hand.

Sorry for the edits...... I had the bet size and odds incorrect LOL

Last edited:
P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just use the rule of 4 and 2.

Basically you multiply your outs by 4 after the flop, 2 after the turn, to give you the percentage that your hand will hit. You call or place bets based upon this percentage. These odds are not exact, but close.

Example- You hold 10d-Js Flop is 8s 9d Kc You have 8 outs 7777QQQQ
or 8 x 4 = 32%

Lets say for example in this hand your in the SB.. 2 players limped pre at 100 chips, so you were priced in to call based upon your hand value. So the pot has 400 chips in it..... Since you will make your str8 roughly 1 of 3 times, you need to get better then 3 to 1 on your money to call a bet.

You have the option of "semi-bluffing" here as well to price yourself in. A bet of 125 chips, called by 1 other player would bring the pot to 650, giving you 4.2 to 1 on your bet post flop.......positive equity.

You also could check and call a bet that gives you over 3 to 1 pot odds. If the bet is more, for example someone bets the whole pot, you can call based upon implied odds. This being that your sure you can get more chips off the player if you make your hand.

If I'm out of position I generally like to price myself in, and I won't make implied odds calls unless I'm 90% sure my opponent will continue if I make my hand.

Sorry for the edits...... I had the bet size and odds incorrect LOL
Just a small correction I'd like to make on your post. The rule of 2 and 4 are great guidelines and I use them a lot. However, the rule of 4 only applies when there will no more betting afterwards.

So, it only applies if all the money is going in on the flop and you only have to call one bet. Since it is guaranteed that you'll see both the turn and river since there will be no more betting, you can multiply your outs by 4 to get a rough estimate of the chance your out will hit by the turn or river.

However, if there is still betting that can happen on the turn, then you have to follow the rule of 2 for the flop-to-turn, and the turn-to-river. So, in your example above, while you do have 8 outs to hit your straight, you're only getting 17% to hit it on the turn or 4.88:1, which is more than the pot odds are giving you. Thus making it a -EV play to call.

Yes, implied odds to play a factor in whether on not you should call a bet with bad odds. However, that would really depend on if you're getting good implied odds and you're able to extract the extra money from your opponent if your hand hits. If you can't extract that extra money, even if your hand hits, you're still making a -EV play in the long run.

J

jmbluffnstuff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes you are correct that the 4 is based upon seeing both the turn and river, however, the situation can arise where a subsequent bet is not made on the turn, so you get to see both by making/calling one bet.

Knowing exact odds for every situation is nearly impossible, in this particular hand, if you opponent held an under pair, such as 66, you would actually have 14 outs now, which would make you around a slight favorite post flop.

Conversely, if you held 6-7 in this position, and your opponent held QJ,, a 10 would be an "anti-out" giving you the 3rd nut str8 against the nut str8.

Aside from the mathematical aspect of actually making your hand, the other players could also fold to your post flop bet, however I would think that this would happen at a higher rate when you have position versus out of position.

Your table image will also increase the chances of a semi-bluff causing other players to fold. If your a loose-hyper aggressive player, your going to get called down here by a decent player with good equity, possibly even re-raised.

If your playing a solid TAG game, the chances of your semi-bluff winning the pot outright are greater.

One of the keys of implied odds is how well hidden your hand is, an ace high flush hit it less likely to get additional bets called then a K-10 drawing with a Q95 on the board.

Knowing your opponent, what their ranges are, and what aggression level they play at, is as big a key in these situations as the math.

For the OP,,, here's a good video by Phil Hellmuth explaining the rule of 4 and 2.

I'll add one more to further elaborate.

Last edited:
R

rio

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the post it helped me to correctly measure the chance

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why need to consult charts if you know how to multiply 2s and 4s.? Read further the 4 and 2 rule.

Aside from pot odds, you can contradict the result if you are certain you have a very good implied odds coming.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator