Is positive thinking helping?

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hard time staying positive during downswings. Like, when you flop top 2 pair and you shove and get called by... Well nothing except one connected card. When the turn hits, the villian gets another connection and you start to realize you wont win this hand either because the river will likely give him a straight. *cough* 888 *cough*. Anyway this thread isnt about complaining but rather how to stay positive during. So any tips?

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Confidence can make you play better, but it isn't in fact "positive thinking".
If positive thinking makes you think you play better, then it works ... It just will not make your cards better.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
positive thinking is not only helping but if you want to win some tournaments then you definitely must think positively when you are having all these flips when you are little ahead or behind, in any mtt you would face flips and if you dont think you gonna win them all you gonna get rivered a lot :)

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always hope that im better and i know i have skills just praying that some donk dont get something on the river. In most cases i get busted by some donk but i always belive that some day i will win something big

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think in live play going through downswings with a lack of confidence can change your facial expressions and body language and make a lot more people want to target you who normally may have avoided you. Online I think it can change your timing in hands and maybe how you approach hands altogether (live as well) for example calling instead of raising. I think not staying positive can have real consequences in results not based on what cards are going to be dealt but by a combination of effects caused in part by a negative expectation and how your attitude affects the people playing against you. There are many things that are out of your control in poker no need to add to those with things you can control... Stay positive!:) I am aware that this is easier said than done, but do your best!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u must visualize what you want and go and take it and believe in it that its yours

etc.. I would hate to think negatively in poker I forget the bad beats as they happen I move on. Having healthy belief goes a long way in poker success

you must be honest with self and keep learning and working though

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say that as long as you have a big enough bankroll to get through your losses, and as long as you are not risking so much money that losing actually effects you (in which case I suggest you take a break for a few months and stop doing that :p ) then it should be fairly easy to maintain positive thinking, by focusing less on what happened when you were all in or the coolers etc that you faced, and thinking more about whether you are putting your opponents on the correct ranges and thinking well generally. For instance, I will always be happy if I manage to induce my opponent to make a big bluff with a gutshot, even if they get their 8% on the river and hit it. As long as you feel that you are outplaying your opponents and putting them into unfavorable spots where they are going to lose more on average then I think that it should be possible to maintain positive thinking during downswings. Remember that poker is not a game of short term skill and that one buyin you just lost is not the bigger picture. Luck all evens out over time so just enjoy the ride!

Hope that helps!

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the great input, as always! I realized I've been playing scared money recently, not pushing where I should have etc. I will get better at this!
Thank you!

CullinanPoker

CullinanPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its important to stay positive, keep your auroa up... the poker gods are watching. Keep in mind that poker is a form of gambling.

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a massive believer that the system is made to make everyone hit more than not to induce play ! So stay positive by playing premium hands until you have table and chip control ! If your not getting knocked out it doesn't matter losing a hand. I love the queen 10 caller when you raise 20k with a blind of 400 #PayDayLoans

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think very important is to have a good bankroll management and if you have many losses , to have a break from poker for a short period of time . With these in mind , it's easier to keep positive thinking , during gameplay , during bad beats , which is very important to keep on playing good , without tilt . Good luck in your games :)

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Positive thinking is absolutely better then negative emotions but try to keep feets on the ground still... anything can happen in Poker.

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you have a spare hour please watch this video, the 1st half is hard to grasp but the 2nd half in mind blowing. I am a strong believer is positive thinking and this video will show you how humans can manifest their own destiny with the power of belief. FYI also when I take a bad beat at the table I laugh and think GOOD I needed that as I was winning too many hands, most times it comes back to me. Poker is like life, it's very difficult to achieve a good result if you are thinking negatively. When you learn how much damage negative thinking can do to your health by unlocking bad DNA, you will want to stay positive always. Be all you can be by unlocking dormant good DNA.

Farmz

Farmz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats are a brutal part of the game. You can be the best player in the world but run bad. However this is why poker is great because anybody can play and win. However if your playing your cards well, getting value for your good hands etc then in the long run you will be on top! Hand analysis is important, did you play it correctly or is there something you missed? Learn from mistakes and if it's just a case of a bad beat, then be reassured by knowing you played it right. It soon turns around.

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes when I'm in a very positive mood I play very badly. I think I don't concentrate enough. Bad mood isn't good eighter, but somwhere in between.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a spare hour please watch this video, the 1st half is hard to grasp but the 2nd half in mind blowing. I am a strong believer is positive thinking and this video will show you how humans can manifest their own destiny with the power of belief. FYI also when I take a bad beat at the table I laugh and think GOOD I needed that as I was winning too many hands, most times it comes back to me. Poker is like life, it's very difficult to achieve a good result if you are thinking negatively. When you learn how much damage negative thinking can do to your health by unlocking bad DNA, you will want to stay positive always. Be all you can be by unlocking dormant good DNA.

Biology of Belief - by Bruce Lipton (full documentary) - YouTube

Nice! Thank you for this. It makes sense I guess. Also, nice picture!

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just remember that variance will hit everyone in this game at some point. Make sure that you are playing well and don't dwell on results. If you are getting your money in with the best of it you should see it in time come back your way.

T

tejas123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It takes positive attitude to get a positive results.

It is your attitude toward others and the universe that determines the resulting attitude toward you. Have a positive, joyful attitude and you'll have positive, joyful results. Put out a bad, negative attitude and you've failed before you begin. Basically, what you think is you get.

https://www.merrchant.com/daily/3/positive-attitude/

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being positive is always good quality. We have to think about the good works, to be happy, regardless of how things are. This is important for the human psyche.

N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
be positive if you can not be calm relaxed and positive you will be your own worst enemy and get into many bad situations that you never should been in I have done this myself many many times and spewed money off when in reality should know shit happens its just money if it gonna destroy or effect our lives in a very impactful way then we should just not play at all