Position Guide

C

coolcukes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been looking around the forum but cant find a tutorial of what hands to play in which position for tournament play. Anyone know if we have this or where I could find something like this please. thanks

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can go to Upswingpoker.com and they have a position guide on there. Also on bestpokercoaching.com they have a position guide on there as well they tell what position and what cards to open with against what position and for what bet and if it is 3 bet or 4 bet and the whole 9 yards on both these sites so it is pretty cool. On Upswing you can download it for free on bestpokercoaching I don't know if it is free or not it may be in the course work.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely recommend upswing's pre-flop charts as whosdaboss25 mentioned. They break down full ring positions and cover what hands you should be raising and potentially calling with for each one.

T

teutonic1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll second downloading the upswing charts. They serve as a useful guide. I, however, don't use their table position names they use; instead preferring simple names like UTG, early, middle, CO, Button and blinds. But whatever.

I would use these charts in tandem with Poker Stove software (free to download off the net) to find out and play with the various ranges. Then learn the ranges off by heart. For example, what hands are in a 5% range, 10%, 20% etc? I use LA flash cards (again free to download off the net) to make up quizzes on ranges and so on.

These are good starting tools but not very helpful unless you adjust for the competition (LAG, TAG, etc.) and, if you play MTTs, adjusting for stack sizes. But we all have to start somewhere and these resources are a good beginning. Good luck & good learning.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure where you are on the learning curve, but as a rough rule of thumb you could use the following. Most of the poker books divide the playing positions into early, middle and late, so simply divide your playing range by three and play the top ones for early, next ones for middle and poorest for late. This can be easily modified and since you made it to suit yourself, it could be easier to remember than trying to remember what a book tells you.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars School After training and there will definitely be the answer to your question

G

GreenAces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure where you are on the learning curve, but as a rough rule of thumb you could use the following. Most of the poker books divide the playing positions into early, middle and late, so simply divide your playing range by three and play the top ones for early, next ones for middle and poorest for late. This can be easily modified and since you made it to suit yourself, it could be easier to remember than trying to remember what a book tells you.

This is very useful, thank you!

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament Poker Edge. Their videos are all about tournament poker.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I have been looking around the forum but cant find a tutorial of what hands to play in which position for tournament play. Anyone know if we have this or where I could find something like this please. thanks

Have you reviewed these articles?

Poker Strategy .

These articles contain quite detailed information. The answer to your question is also there.

You are welcome .

:)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jonathan Little has a huge amount of free material for beginning players. Not only will you learn about hand selection but the deeper reasons for those selections. You will also learn how to recognize opponents weakness and how to use card selection and actions to improve your results vs different opponent types.

I would recommend focusing on the underlying reasoning of poker action first. Memorizing hands that go with that reasoning becomes much easier if done in that order. Hand charts without the skill strengths can lead to bad habits. Trust me I am living proof of that.

Hope this helps.

:)