Pokers book are really useful ?

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys, i'm really want to learn ways to study poker. I heard that books are usually useful (because they're old and the strategies are already known), and it's better to read forum. But some books like Mental Game of Poker or The Mathematics of Poker really don't deserve the time ?

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that books made many years ago maybe have old strategies that today don't give much help, but there are others that are always updated, like for example the ones explaining how you should face the game itself, being mentally stronger and calm.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can learn the basics of the game from books, no problem. You just have to be cautious because some of their knowledge is outdate. To keep up with the new trends in poker, this forum is very useful, but also try to watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams. Playing freerolls whenever you can is also good to get used to the game.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is usefulif you want to learn. No matter how.

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They help but what you really want to do is to study and talk hands with your friends and dig online for "couching sites", there is a lot of free stuffs out there! GL

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now the video tutorials, streams are the most popular, it is much easier to learn from these. If you are interested in these books, be sure to read them. It's not really the most effective way to learn poker, but who knows it may be useful for you.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can learn the basics of the game from books, no problem. You just have to be cautious because some of their knowledge is outdate. To keep up with the new trends in poker, this forum is very useful, but also try to watch YouTube videos and Twitch streams. Playing freerolls whenever you can is also good to get used to the game.
Can you recommend me a channel from YouTube that you think is great ?

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that books made many years ago maybe have old strategies that today don't give much help, but there are others that are always updated, like for example the ones explaining how you should face the game itself, being mentally stronger and calm.

Really needed to read that, i appreciate the feedback, do you have a favorite book to recommend ?

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker book is a relatively affordable way to learn poker skills. Some books are outdated but the fundamentals could still be relevant.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really needed to read that, i appreciate the feedback, do you have a favorite book to recommend ?
Yes, i liked one called The Poker Mindset. It doesn't tell you the rules to play, it's about how you should play.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that I have noticed about poker book (and videos), is that so many times they are discussing something which I just faced in a tournament. I highly recommend reading what the real pros have to say.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I spent all summer learning more and studying poker.. i bought at read (i just counted them ) 19 poker books
i also bought into training programs and videos
i found the books good.. they gave a lot of background theory as well i found fascinating the history of poker
some of the books go through hands in detail .. Harrington and Moorman have books that give hand for hand their tournament play with commentary, found that interesting in guess what i would have done in that situation ... but it good do that watching poker on TV or Twitch also

i think when i was new to poker, last May, many the books useless as were way above my level.. advanced concepts when i never had a clue

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker books are useful when playing in reality. When playing online, for the most part they are not actual.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you recommend me a channel from YouTube that you think is great ?

Sure. I personally enjoy watching Doug Polk's channel. He has a series of videos called poker hands in which he analyzes interesting hands with a lot of detail. Be aware that his analysis uses a lot of concepts that you might not have yet, his videos kinda suppose you know a thing or two about poker strategy and poker math. Twitch streams are also good to help you learn. Fellow CC member Jeff Gross is a great streamer and I also like to watch Lex Veldhuis.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You really need to be an active learner if you are going to study poker. Watching videos and reading books does nothing if you don't take notes and study afterwards.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For us poor people

Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Sklansky, Miller, and Malmuth is the best for that game. Note that it is not a beginner's book on Limit HE. I started with Lee Jones Low Limit Hold 'Em.

For NLHE tournaments; it's no contest: Dan Harrington's books on that subject are the best by far. Harrington on Hold 'Em.

Ed Miller also wrote a book on Small Stakes NLHE, I've only read through it once, but it looks to become my bible for that game, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Stakes-No-Limit-Holdem-Miller/dp/0984143491

If you master these books, please don't play in the same games as me :)

H

hookmeout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. Books help me a lot at least fundamentals

C

ChipCommander

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books are good if you haven't read any yet. Most of them are very very similar. If you were to read 50 of them I'm pretty sure you would wish you didn't read 40 of them. :) I keep hearing that they are out of date, but the game is the same. If you are playing low stakes, noobies don't suddenly do better than you after reading a book on poker no matter what book you read. :) And if you are playing at the top, no book is going to help you as they have probably read every book you have and more. If you are playing by a books lessons you are also quite predictable and easy to beat for a pro player. It's best to come up with your own strategies and be unique as long as you have a grasp of the fundamentals and still use some common sense.

Learning by watching isn't always the best idea if you already don't know how to play reasonably well because if you think they are making a certain move for one reason and they have a different reason and you try to copy their plays yourself you may be making some pretty huge mistakes. They also don't always play well.

The best way to learn is play as many hands as you can at a limit that doesn't hurt you and play to win every time. The more situations you see and experience you have, the better you will become. Whenever you lose think about what you could have done differently to not lose and then ask yourself would making that change be good if you were to take 5 million hands of play and modify your play?

Also pay attention to the game while you are playing even when you aren't in a hand. When the game starts to feel like a game you would like to watch and you are interested in it, then you will naturally do much better and observe more details that may help your win rate.

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Book are good for strong background but the most important to play as much hands as you can to fell the game (basing on things you took from books).

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Sklansky, Miller, and Malmuth is the best for that game. Note that it is not a beginner's book on Limit HE. I started with Lee Jones Low Limit Hold 'Em.

For NLHE tournaments; it's no contest: Dan Harrington's books on that subject are the best by far. Harrington on Hold 'Em.

Ed Miller also wrote a book on Small Stakes NLHE, I've only read through it once, but it looks to become my bible for that game, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Small-Stakes-No-Limit-Holdem-Miller/dp/0984143491

If you master these books, please don't play in the same games as me :)

Haha, i`m looking forward to read Dan Harrington`s books. Really appreciated your recommendation, thank you.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spent all summer learning more and studying poker.. i bought at read (i just counted them ) 19 poker books
i also bought into training programs and videos
i found the books good.. they gave a lot of background theory as well i found fascinating the history of poker
some of the books go through hands in detail .. Harrington and Moorman have books that give hand for hand their tournament play with commentary, found that interesting in guess what i would have done in that situation ... but it good do that watching poker on TV or Twitch also

i think when i was new to poker, last May, many the books useless as were way above my level.. advanced concepts when i never had a clue

Jeez 19 books, i hope that i can do the same in my vocation. Thanks to the feedback i`m going to choose carefully what books i`m going to read.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello guys, i'm really want to learn ways to study poker. I heard that books are usually useful (because they're old and the strategies are already known), and it's better to read forum. But some books like Mental Game of Poker or The Mathematics of Poker really don't deserve the time ?

First, you have to find which is the best way for you learn. Exist some ways of learn: auditory, visual, kinesthetic. After of finding the best way, then you decide.

In relation to the books cited, i think knowledge is always stimulating, even because the person with wisdom is indicative of an educated person, who has much judgment, good sense and behaves with rectitude.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Personal experience is first,after that come poker books.Situations can be understand just after min.1 year constant play.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dan Harrington books I found helpful.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, you have to find which is the best way for you learn. Exist some ways of learn: auditory, visual, kinesthetic. After of finding the best way, then you decide.

In relation to the books cited, i think knowledge is always stimulating, even because the person with wisdom is indicative of an educated person, who has much judgment, good sense and behaves with rectitude.

It's definitely visual, you made me rethink my plans, but still going to choose very carefully some books, thank you so much.