Poker training sites and books: worth it?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing since I was 16 in '06. I know the game of hold'em very well and have played extensively.

This was the first year I decided to take it seriously and started months of research on card ranges, position, tilt, GTO, ICM poker math, bankroll management, poker software etc and was blown away by how much I didn't know about the game. However, there was a lot of stuff I learned naturally from playing that I just didn't know the terms for.

That being said, is poker training and books really worth it for someone who has been playing as long as I have? I don't want to buy all this stuff only to realize they're telling me stuff I already know when I can simply put it towards my BR.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing since I was 16 in '06. I know the game of hold'em very well and have played extensively.

This was the first year I decided to take it seriously and started months of research on card ranges, position, tilt, GTO, ICM poker math, bankroll management, poker software etc and was blown away by how much I didn't know about the game. However, there was a lot of stuff I learned naturally from playing that I just didn't know the terms for.

That being said, is poker training and books really worth it for someone who has been playing as long as I have? I don't want to buy all this stuff only to realize they're telling me stuff I already know when I can simply put it towards my BR.
Yes they can be very useful, there are free videos to learn, and also free books. You don t need to buy a thing . There are many topics here in cardschat For strategy, position tilt ... all u re searching for and it s all free .

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little "The Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker"
try this book...)))
:ridinghor

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Training sites, mostly yes. Books, mostly,no.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Its funny you say that because before I read my 1st book Doyle's Super System I didnt realize that I kinda knew more than I actually thought but still was missing some stuff in my game.

Id say reading books and poker skill training is def a good move if you plan on actually doing something in poker.

710suited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shop Amazon for old poker books to save a couple bucks! Never hurts to re-read the books.

Stick with the poker forums and free training site material until you run into a roadblock.

If you haven't checked out any training sites yet, click this link from PokerNews that has the top 5 poker training sites. Lots of free content:

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/poker-training-sites-30477.htm

Good luck!

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Training sites, mostly yes. Books, mostly,no.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think maybe this guy doesn't like to read, which would explain why he said "mostly yes" to sites that rely mostly on videos. Those training sites and all the videos that claim to help you improve are just telling you stuff that you can read yourself in the books. Visual aids can help people who have trouble reading, but this isn't exactly advanced physics, and you don't need them as much in poker.

If you are a fast reader, the books will be better for you. If you are a slow reader or you do not like reading, then the videos might be a better option. Both are going to mostly give you the same basic information.

Either way, spending time and effort trying to learn and improve is what matters most. The medium of information matters less than the overall effort.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all bullshit. Unless you are a total amateur even then I know Phil Galfonds channel on youtube with his training videos wisdom which cost $0.00

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the books and videos very HELPFUL but not that much USEFUL.

just the situation, a class of students using the same materials and textbooks, but there are still grade A, B, C and F.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you look at the two top training sites, Upswing and Raise your edge, they don't have a lot of cheaper options but they do have one or two if you're brand new. The cash game info on Raise your edge seems pretty good, and the Upswing lab is good to start with as well.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes they can be very useful, there are free videos to learn, and also free books. You don t need to buy a thing . There are many topics here in cardschat For strategy, position tilt ... all u re searching for and it s all free .

Ok, I will keep an eye out for the freebies. I'm really trying to save up a bankroll as I grind out these freerolls so every little bit I save towards my BR helps. I definitely read all the articles here and on other sites and will continue to do so, thanks!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its funny you say that because before I read my 1st book Doyle's Super System I didnt realize that I kinda knew more than I actually thought but still was missing some stuff in my game.

Id say reading books and poker skill training is def a good move if you plan on actually doing something in poker.

Yeah when I started studying and researching poker over the summer, I was surprised by all the advanced strat I already knew. But there was also quite a bit I didn't know.

Ok, I plan on doing something in poker for sure so I will look into that book and others and some training sites. Thanks!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shop Amazon for old poker books to save a couple bucks! Never hurts to re-read the books.

Stick with the poker forums and free training site material until you run into a roadblock.

If you haven't checked out any training sites yet, click this link from PokerNews that has the top 5 poker training sites. Lots of free content:

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/poker-training-sites-30477.htm

Good luck!

Ok, sounds good! I already have a few book saved on my amazon wishlist so I guess I will start ordering some when I have a little extra to spend. I will also check out those sites as well. Thanks for the advice!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mean to be rude, but I think maybe this guy doesn't like to read, which would explain why he said "mostly yes" to sites that rely mostly on videos. Those training sites and all the videos that claim to help you improve are just telling you stuff that you can read yourself in the books. Visual aids can help people who have trouble reading, but this isn't exactly advanced physics, and you don't need them as much in poker.

If you are a fast reader, the books will be better for you. If you are a slow reader or you do not like reading, then the videos might be a better option. Both are going to mostly give you the same basic information.

Either way, spending time and effort trying to learn and improve is what matters most. The medium of information matters less than the overall effort.

Well I can't say I'm the fastest reader or that it's my favorite hobby, but I don't mind a book every now and then. I definitely don't mind it if it's going to increase my skill, edge and overall winnings in this game we love.

I definitely watch free poker videos on YouTube almost everyday and read free online articles as well as strolling through forums like this one. Thanks for the input!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all bullshit. Unless you are a total amateur even then I know Phil Galfonds channel on youtube with his training videos wisdom which cost $0.00

Ok, I haven't seen his channel yet but I will definitely look into it, thanks!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
most of the books and videos very HELPFUL but not that much USEFUL.

just the situation, a class of students using the same materials and textbooks, but there are still grade A, B, C and F.

Hmm, good point. So what would you say would be the most useful to improving?