Poker training

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, im a new member and i have recently posted in the introduction section. My first question i would like to ask you all is this :-
What training sites are people using on here or what sites do they recommend?

Thanks Ben. :)

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, im a new member and i have recently posted in the introduction section. My first question i would like to ask you all is this :-

hi hi Ben.. welcome!
i use Upswing Poker for training and they great but pricey
i amazed by the resources right here in CardsChat and they are all solid and free, make sure check them out too!
enjoy poker and this terrific place .. i now a big CardsChat fan, as you will become i sure of it!! - Hugs

rafa77777

rafa77777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello .. he started playing relatively recently himself .. I try to read poker literature regularly, I don’t know about websites, I would advise haringtona, snumaker from books ..

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback, I considered upswing aswell i will certainly check them out and also look into cardschat content too. I am currently reading the mental game of poker which i am really interested in at the moment is there any more books to look up? Im a cash game player mainly, mostly live games but soon to change to playing more ours online cash.

Thanks Ben.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I used to play actively on pokerstars and used Pokerschool as my training ground. They have some nice courses and you get to practice your skills in a freeroll with a leaderboard feature.

Training is very important and I am glad this is your mindset.

All the best.

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to play actively on Pokerstars and used Pokerschool as my training ground. They have some nice courses and you get to practice your skills in a freeroll with a leaderboard feature.

All the best.

Thanks for the reply i will check that out too as it is pokerstars i play on and the league freerolls sound like a good place to put new skills into action.

Thanks Ben.

LoveGamblin00

LoveGamblin00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

Let me start by saying i never used any such program.
But i believe many roads can lead youre way.
When i started playing poker about 10 to 12 years ago i watched a lot poker on YouTube and after that started reading strategy advises of pro players.
I dunno if hé still does but Lex Veldhuis made podcasts explain many aspects.
Those kind of advise i try use most as they have prooved they have skills.
My favorite player is Tom Durrr Dwan. I van watch him for hours.

Greetings,
LoveGamblin00 :cool::cool:

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

Let me start by saying i never used any such program.
But i believe many roads can lead youre way.
When i started playing poker about 10 to 12 years ago i watched a lot poker on YouTube and after that started reading strategy advises of pro players.
I dunno if hé still does but Lex Veldhuis made podcasts explain many aspects.
Those kind of advise i try use most as they have prooved they have skills.
My favorite player is Tom Durrr Dwan. I van watch him for hours.

Greetings,
LoveGamblin00 :cool::cool:

Thanks for the response, i used to sit and watch high stakes poker for hours (including tom dwan). These days i like to watch youtube vlogs such as brad owen, andrew neeme, jaman burton and jonnie vibes. Also if there are any more vlogs that people recommend i would love to hear them.

Thanks Ben.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback, I considered upswing aswell i will certainly check them out and also look into cardschat content too. I am currently reading the mental game of poker which i am really interested in at the moment is there any more books to look up? Im a cash game player mainly, mostly live games but soon to change to playing more ours online cash.
Thanks Ben.

hi hi again Ben
i started playing in May and spent all summer studying poker and spent well over $3k on many books, videos, software, training programs, i also had coaching
likely 90% of what i invested was wasted... personally i no think there is a substitute for playing poker hands... then analyzing them afterwards with PT4 or HM2.. and assisted by Flopzilla.. should be about a 60-40 time split between play and study

also a hud where allowed - if you dont you at a disadvantage, the good thing now i have excellent number of hands on many players, those stats are invaluable during game play

there are so so many great poker books, i dont play live poker (too shy) so much of mental game of poker, didnt apply and i found the book dry and hard to get through
Anne Duke is great in that area try her books
its hard to recommend a book there are so so many great ones depends on area you like get into.. what helped me further my game.. was mathematics/odds of poker... books my Polk, Alexander and Little
then follow up with their videos and programs
good luck with it all .. and play LOTS!
hugs

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ben,
It all depends on what your game is but aside from books, I'd say, Tournament Poker Edge helped me the most with MTT's. Like the name suggests, it's all about tournament poker.
If it's cash game you're looking to learn, then there's a ton of free content on youtube for microstakes.
I believe that PartTimePoker bought out Grinderschool and all of Grinderschool training videos became available to the public.
Here's their youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw-uVoosoY7HgxdhCxiyGGA/videos

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play actively on Pokerstars and used Pokerschool as my training ground. They have some nice courses and you get to practice your skills in a freeroll with a leaderboard feature.
All the best.

yes yes Redboy... PokerStars has great resources also and if join their school get to play in training freerolls too
there are so many great places to get excellent training and assistance ALL FREE
like CardsChat also!!!
i wish i had back all the money i wasted chasing the magic bullet.. to make this blonde a good poker player fast lol

two lessons i learnt
first look online for information, software and help.. its free all over place
second play, play and play some more.. then study what you did and what happened
no magic bullet (hud, book, video)
hugs

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hi hi again Ben
i started playing in May and spent all summer studying poker and spent well over $3k on many books, videos, software, training programs, i also had coaching
likely 90% of what i invested was wasted... personally i no think there is a substitute for playing poker hands... then analyzing them afterwards with PT4 or HM2.. and assisted by Flopzilla.. should be about a 60-40 time split between play and study

also a hud where allowed - if you dont you at a disadvantage, the good thing now i have excellent number of hands on many players, those stats are invaluable during game play

there are so so many great poker books, i dont play live poker (too shy) so much of mental game of poker, didnt apply and i found the book dry and hard to get through
Anne Duke is great in that area try her books
its hard to recommend a book there are so so many great ones depends on area you like get into.. what helped me further my game.. was mathematics/odds of poker... books my Polk, Alexander and Little
then follow up with their videos and programs
good luck with it all .. and play LOTS!
hugs

Thanks, just to clarify, is it 60% play and 40% study or the reverse? That post confirmed alot and i think in the grand scheme of things i need to invest some money into software and books and do as much study as possible. I think im quite honest with myself, enough to know my game and skills need alot of work and i think thats the biggest step these days instead of "over confidence" as the mental game of poker quotes.

Thanks Ben.

Benclarky1

Benclarky1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Ben,
It all depends on what your game is but aside from books, I'd say, Tournament Poker Edge helped me the most with MTT's. Like the name suggests, it's all about tournament poker.
If it's cash game you're looking to learn, then there's a ton of free content on youtube for microstakes.
I believe that PartTimePoker bought out Grinderschool and all of Grinderschool training videos became available to the public.
Here's their youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw-uVoosoY7HgxdhCxiyGGA/videos

Thanks for the link, i will check that all. Im glad ive found this site with such friendly people who are willing to help instead of trolling people asking for advise.

Thanks Ben.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Ben

I'd really recommend reading How to Study Poker by Sky Matsuhashi. It will really help you get the most out of your study time.

Frankqc666

Frankqc666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMG 20190304 092153

these books are must-haves for me. it's a good way to go from beginner to intermediate

N

NeoBandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have tried several training sites and found them to be a waste of my money. You can get the same videos off youtube for free. just spend time watching youtube videos and twitch.tv is great too some of those players explain the plays they are making in great detail. Plus i have started reading more books and going over my hand history helps a lot. You would be surprised when you go over your hand history. You will say to yourself "what was i thinking" good luck

Daniel VanRiper

Daniel VanRiper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to educate yourself without Internet training sites I think. I'm not positive. GOOD LUCK[emoji26]

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mix it all together. Read some upto date books specific to what you want to play. Add in some youtube. Then check out websites and forums. The 3 most popular sites that all have some good free content are.
1 Jonathan Little 2 sites and a lot of free downloadable info (best online sites in my opinion) also has some good books. He sends you emails if you sign up for free and will give you links to getting a couple books for free.
pokercoaching .com
Floattheturn .com
2 Upswing poker : Doug Polk and Ryan Fee has some free and a $7 class
3 Raise your edge. Most expensive has lot of twitch personalities.
Then most importantly the best forum. Cardschat! Has good strategy section and has some very good pros with threads where you can ask them pretty much anything.

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hey Ben,
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
I am using Upswing regularly. Besides that the training program offered by Bencb is quite great. Both courses and programs were established by renowned players who still play on a high level. Therefore at least for me it was quite rewarding to improve my skill level with their ressources.
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
All the best to you!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For basic knowledge and skills for a poker game, I recommend the PokerStars School. They also have their own poker league. I also recommend learning materials on the CardsChat forum.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started to play poker, the very first one started studying at Pokerschool from Pokerstars. There, when answering poker questions after school, get tickets to tournaments.

Aremaz95

Aremaz95

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I train playing and the best way is sit and go 0.50 with 9 players

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been training at pokerstars school, they're great! there are many interesting tests and educational games where you can earn some prizes. There are also many video clips on youtube to look at.