Poker strategy - How to get an edge?

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you try special strategies in order to get an edge over other players?

I do that regularly and even try strategies which I considered quite strange at first.

Greets.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play every table different. If you don't you will find it hard to build a stack.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that there is no universal strategy in poker, you should be ready to play differently depending on the game of your opponents !!!

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Specialize in a specific structure and think about it deeply.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can do a lot of things with bet sizing, for example you min raise and if you get a fold you can keep doing this. Or if the villan seems to be calling every time try taking your raise size up from 2.5bbs to 4bbs and you can do this for value.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
My strategy is very simple. First, I start to play only when I have a good mood. Secondly, I always wait patiently for strong cards. And thirdly, I always try to be as focused as possible on the game.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi all , I see different stratergy ideas, however I don't think this can be called an edge , I do feel that to find/create an edge you may need to look outside of poker to find this edge , another sport,belief or philosophy , of course one may be found from looking at poker from different aspects, and try to find something about it that you perceive could be unique from other players , this could give you your edge ,
just my opinion lol , I can add that having an edge perceived or real should help a players confidence and playing to a plan, good luck and see you at the tables

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If you want to try some new strategies as you have mentioned you need to play regular speed games with big stacks! In a turbo or hyper after a certain point you only have to push-fold and that's it.You just need to win some critical flips and that's it!

I also think that SnGs work the same way as above , not much to do after a while. I am not sure if I totally understand your question but I feel you mean light 3bets some check/raises and all that stuff. I am a player who never applies the same strategy over and over again.Whenever I can, I try new things , they are never smart ideas but at least I never stop trying :p

Good Luck :)

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With different players need to use different tactics.

R

RaydonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to adapt to each situation accordingly, whether they are being super aggressive or passive

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi , what’s a strange strategy?

I’ll raise named hands. Rockets and big slick.

Now Ducks, Motown, Elmo etc... Doyle’s Hand , those could get you in trouble.

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I do that regularly and even try strategies which I considered quite strange at first.

Greets.

You have to approach every table like it's a completely different game.
NLHE is a complex game with a near infinite amount of variations when it gets to the 8-9 handed variations, you can't hope to approach two tables with the exact same strategy.

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Greets.

I really dont think there is a strategy that a player can follow on each and every table, as the players against you can differs from bored, bluffers, kid minded and so on.
My answer is no, each table draws your plan separately!

A

animalitymk3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just need to feel them out imo. Kind of like boxing. I've played a lot of heads up games throughout my poker play. The only way you can get an edge is if you understand their betting patterns.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play different strategies for different tournaments and cash games, you need to be able to be ready for quick tournaments in which it is almost impossible to concentrate on the game or sit in the tournament for a long time and wait and try to cheat the players or win on good cards!

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the strategy that goes for all types of games is patience, you need this if you want to stay ahead of many opponents

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely depends on the table. If you have very loose players, you would adjust. If you have super tight players, you adjust. There are times when I talk more in between hands to make people feel more comfortable. Then they are more likely to call me when I have the nuts.

S

SatisfyMe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing poker without stress is the best edge. And I think that comes with having a nice bankroll and understanding bad beats are part of the game.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best edge is to have as many fish playing with you at the table. (That edge is assuming you aren’t the fish )

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best way to get an edge is table and game selection. For example you want to play a 9 man sng, you can look up the players before you register. In game you color code them and then you look for "purples" in the lobby in the future.