Poker Ranges

J

joseph9176

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hey everyone i just want to talk about poker ranges and get every ones opinion on if they use them and if they think it is a good strategy?

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ranges of hands you need to know and widen (narrow) in appropriate situations.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely, poker range is beautiful in that you can take a chance, put a bet on the river, having a great chance to pick up the pot, the greater the limit, the better the range. Approximately the poker range is a two-way straight with a flash draw. For example 758J when you have 610 you will help as 4 so and 9 if those more 75 peaks, as and 610 peaks, then those more any pikushka in your range of. The risk will be justified. So with the limits of $50 longer to lose on the limit than $5.

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranges are far more simple than people make them out to be. There's no set-in-stone rule for what cards you should play every time, in each position.

Typically, in early-mid position, you want to raise with AQ, QQ, AK, KK, AA. Possibly JJ, AJ, and ATs. I'd recommend limping with other pairs and suited connectors, so that you can set/straight/flush mine.

Late position (HJ-BTN), you want to periodically raise with any two cards. Or, you can limp with a big hand, and slow-play it, to get some value.

S

sickthis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you use different ranges for cash and mtt?

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to play both cash games and mtts most likely you won't have time for both and ranges for both will just confuse you.. probably.
But yes, in cash games you can learn/memorize some solid ranges and play them everytime because blinds do no change.
In mtts you always adjust the ranges to alot of variables and this is hard.. you will not play the same range with 20 and 200bbs.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I use and think about ranges in poker, and I do think it is a good idea to know what range of hands you can profitably raise with different stack sizes.

Familiarizing yourself and thinking about the ranges your opponents are playing will also help you to play profitable poker.

This is especially crucial in MTT's from push/fold charts, to understanding what a 5, 10, or 15 percent three bet range looks like, to not paying off overly tight players who are playing only 3 percent of their hands and on and on.

There's always something you can learn and improve upon to give yourself a leg up on the competition.

Good luck! :D

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two of the most important things to learn to begin with in my opinion are ranges and position.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello
I am glad for you that you understand the poker ranges. But you need to understand other important aspects of the game. Based on this, you should understand that focusing only on ranges in poker within micro-limits is inappropriate. But if you are well versed in all the nuances of poker, the ranges will not hurt you at all.
Good luck in the game.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Learning about ranges was a step up in my game.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ranging Villains is the best strategy.

hey everyone i just want to talk about poker ranges and get every ones opinion on if they use them and if they think it is a good strategy?

Thank U 4 Posting.

If you play online poker you have to use hand ranges. Everyone plays poker with ranges in mind even if they do not know how to develop a strategy around it.

Example

I raise UTG you call BTN. Flop comes 234 rainbow. I c-bet you call what hand do I put you on? 77 no 66 no 88 no AK no what hand? No one hand, you could easily have many hands in this spot. So I put you on a range of hands. You could call a cbet with QJ if the Q comes on the turn and I have JJ I bet you raise do I only put you on a Q? No. If you can play well you could have a straight: 54 for a semi bluff: A4 suited and the Q gave you a four to a flush etc etc. I need to think about the range of hands you could have just like you are thinking I can bluff the Q if UTG has AK AJ A10 BTN should also be thinking will AA KK JJ 1010 99 AK AJ A10 fold on the river if I bomb the river. That is hand ranging.

Some have said it is no good in micro stakes. That is not true. Take the action on the turn when BTN raises on the Q in micro stakes. We know in micro stakes UTG AA KK JJ 1010 is folding only 20% of the time on the river in that spot. If we have the straight we bet big they call. If we miss we do not bluff again because we know they will call. We know the range of hands they will call with and we do not bluff again. Just because micro stakes players call to often does not mean that using ranges does not help.

Using range strategy always works well. You just have to get better at understanding what your villains will do with their ranges.

Today in a free roll I noticed a bet sizing tell by a villain. I also watched that villain make big calls with a wider range than is optimal. My fellow villains were also shoving all in with a range of weaker holdings. 77-22 Axs etc. I used this range analysis to my advantage.

The villain min raised to 800 UTG. Folded to me CO. I had AA. I knew villains min raise hand range was hands they were willing to play big pots with.

I shoved 5K. Villain tanked and called KQcc

It was observing how the villain played his ranges and the corresponding bet sizing that let me know villain was going to call that shove most of the time, after min raising UTG. Had villain min raised MP or HJ I would not have shoved because villain changed their ranges in those spots. Villain's range was wider in MP and HJ so villain was more likely to fold to a shove.

Villain may or may not have been using a range strategy on the villains at the table but most villains are paying attention to what is being shown down after a shove. Knowing that perception of shove ranges allows you to make moves like this.

Just as a side note. The villain was not a call any two fish who you can always shove on. Villain tanked and thought about hand ranges. Villain's mistake was not protecting their hand ranges with common bet sizing, allowing me to exploit their tendencies.

Of course this is not a deep dive into how to use ranges. If you focus on range strategy your results should improve and you will no longer be saying "why did my villain have that hand?"

Hope this helps

:):)