Poker positions explanation

I

ionrosu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
RO
Chips
Hello guys I`m new in this world. I started to study poker but I have already a problem. I don't understand positions.

I understand the positions in the tables of 9 players : BTN, SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, LJ, HJ, CO; but at tables with fewer players (like 8 players, 7 players, 6 players, 5 players etc.) I don't understand who they are.

Can someone explain to me?
Thank you in advance!

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat ionrosu,

The important thing is that you grasp the idea and effects of your position in relation to other players during a game, and learn how act in different positions. Once learn that it doesn't make much difference if you are in a full (9) table or in a smaller one.

But to answer your question:
In 6 handed table the positions are the same except there are no UTG+1 and UTG+2.

Our free course here at CC

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello and welcome! In poker, there is always a minimum of 2 players (heads up). In this situation there is the BB and the SB and the SB is also the BTN. Preflop SB/BTN acts first, then post flop BB acts first.

You then work backwards from there - 3 handed = BB, SB + BTN, 4 handed = BB, SB, BTN + CO, 5 handed = BB, SB, BTN, CO + HJ, 6 handed = BB, SB, BTN, CO, HJ + LJ, 7 handed = BB, SB, BTN, CO, HJ, LJ + UTG, 8 handed = BB, SB, BTN, CO, HJ, LJ, UTG+1 + UTG, 9 handed = BB, SB, BTN, CO, HJ, LJ, UTG+2, UTG+1 + UTG.

As you lose player the way we talk about positions, we would remove UTG+2 first, then UTG+1, then UTG, then LJ, then HJ, then CO. However, when looking at charts such as open raising charts, say there are 7 people at the table, you should refer to the UTG+2 charts, not the UTG charts.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Early - the first two positions to the left of the blinds - UTG and UTG + 1. The name "UTG" in poker comes from the English "under the gun" - "at gunpoint". The reason is that it is uncomfortable to play here - nothing is known about the actions of opponents. Pre-flop poker players in these places always act first. Then - the rest of the players in clockwise direction. UTG and UTG + 1 you should only enter the game with the strongest cards. To do this, it is advisable to familiarize yourself with the table of starting hands in no-limit hold'em. The reason is that after you, seven or eight players at the table still have a word, and you do not know anything about the strength of their hands. And the more opponents, the greater the chance that at least one of them has a strong starting combination.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Great question but also something you don't need to overly worry about.

As fundiver mentioned, what is far more important than the specific names of the positions is the implications of what position means, I.E. whether one position is stronger or weaker than another.

Having to act first is less advantageous and acting last is more advantageous.

If you look into short-handed play or specific study material into 6-max or 8-max and it should clarify the positions for you.

There's a lot to learn and remember, but it'll get clearer and easier as you go!

Also, never be afraid to ask! There are always people at CardsChat who will be happy to answer queries and offer help. (y)

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man, I highly recommend the free course offered by Cardschat right here on the forum. I improved my game a lot after school. I'm also a beginner, but in terms of positions, they don't change, regardless of the number of players per table, but you have to be careful when getting into hands with many players. A lot of attention should be paid to the type of game and the stage it is in, if it is a tournament. Finally, it is ideal to take the course. There you will learn from professionals 😎

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I arrived late, I believe your question has been successfully answered by the friends above!

In short:
Early Position - You're screwed in general, be firm and defend as many blinds as you can.
Middle position - Still gives you room for a little cutie or two, stay strong.
Late Position - Be happy, light and daring... here you are the man, but don't overdo it.

Remembering that there is still the possibility of having tables with more than 9 players, but they are not usually commonplace.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Try our free course, which is designed specifically for beginners, and you will be able to find answers to your questions.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Welcome to CardsChat ionrosu,

The important thing is that you grasp the idea and effects of your position in relation to other players during a game, and learn how act in different positions. Once learn that it doesn't make much difference if you are in a full (9) table or in a smaller one.

But to answer your question:
In 6 handed table the positions are the same except there are no UTG+1 and UTG+2.

Our free course here at CC

Fundiver mentions a lot of valuable things but this time it was Nafor, who you might want to refer to. 😜
Golly gosh and won't @fundiver199 be beaming from ear to ear! :LOL:

Please do accept Gladstone's apologies Donald but the truth is that both fundiver and Nafor are two of my most dearest darlings that they could almost be interchangeable in their delightfulness and consideration...

There I said it! ❤️

I got four hours sleep last night, forgive me getting my favourites confused Cheekyreas! 😅

Of course I don't play favourites, I wubble all C.C. members equally - even Risto! :giggle:

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello guys I`m new in this world. I started to study poker but I have already a problem. I don't understand positions.

I understand the positions in the tables of 9 players : BTN, SB, BB, UTG, UTG+1, UTG+2, LJ, HJ, CO; but at tables with fewer players (like 8 players, 7 players, 6 players, 5 players etc.) I don't understand who they are.

Can someone explain to me?
Thank you in advance!
Hello brother
Already friends told you all about positions that is essential in the game of poker.
UTG the most difficult to play, there are some manuals that recommend playing this position with miniraise with :10c4::10d4: , :jd4::jh4: , :qs4::js4:, :qd4::jc4: :qh4::qc4: , :ks4::qs4: , :kh4::qd4: , and 3 bet :ks4::kd4: , :ah4::kh4: , :ad4::kc4: :ac4::ad4:
But well, that is up to each one to work on it as you play, in my case I only play MTT.
What if I have seen a lot that in general almost all have taken very seriously the issue of taking the button as the main source of your income. You have many players that you see in tournaments that take the button and automatically 3-bet. Actually when you play button you will realize that 1 out of 10 times you will get good cards to make 3 bet so you should see this by observing the players at the table every time you touch the button what move they make.
For me, even if it seems incredible, the position that scares me the most to play is the BB when many players at the table only limp. It has happened to me thousands of times of having to play forced with the BB cards that you would never play and some combination always comes to you to call and you rarely win. I prefer that when I'm in BB anyone at the table does a miniraise so if I have cards that I don't think are convenient I fold directly and stay calm hahaha :):):).
Another thing that has given me good results according to the manuals is if you are in the initial position of the table, be it UTG, UTG 1, MP, LJ, always if you start you never limp but rather miniraise. Because in general if you limp the rest of the players see that you are calling just to see a flop if something that suits you comes up. On the other hand, if you make a miniraise they may even think that you have AA in hand then unless someone has a strong hand and for example they make you a 3bet or 4bet in general when you make a miniraise everyone is more careful. The logic is that nobody wants to leave the tournament early hahahahahaha. :geek::geek::geek:
A hug and greetings ;););)(y)(y)(y)