Poker math ev calculation

A

Ariand12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

I have just started learning poker seriously and I have trouble when it comes to poker math, when I want to determine if my call is +EV and If I should make the call I take too long calculating and I end up making decisions without doing the calculation, calculating equity is easy for me but when I want to calculate pot odds percentage in order to compare it with equity percentage I'll end up using calculator when it comes to dividing,

I use this formula amount to call devide by (pot size + amount to call)

Exp:

pot size : 600

Amount to call : 500

600+500= 1100

500/1100= 0.45 = 45% pot odds

Can you guys do it quickly without the use of a calculator ? Is there a better method which gives the result in percentage form ?

Thank you

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To simplify the calculations, I recommend comparing the benefits of sweat with the likelihood that your combination will be completed, expressed in primes.
For example, after the flop you have a flush draw
Sweat 80; call will cost you 20
Sweat benefits: 80 to 20 or 4 to 1
The probability that on the turn you get a 4 to 1 flush
If the profit from the sweat is greater or close to the probability of building a combination - a very easy count. This probability on the turn and river can be easily calculated with the help of outs, but it is easier to memorize or write on a piece of paper so as not to be distracted by unnecessary calculations, especially in online poker.
It should be borne in mind that the combination you built will not always be winning.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can just estimate as it doesn't have to be 100% exact.

Using your example, 500/1100 is close to 50%, so you can estimate your pot odds to be between 45-50%.

Its not important to be exact because you calling depends on your hand odds. If the odds of you hitting is 25%, you don't need to know the exact pot odds because you know you aren't calling with less than 25% pot odds. And if the pot odds are at an estimated 50%, you can fold without beating exact.

Also, in close situations, say 22% hand odds vs 25% pot odds is losing call on paper, but because of implied odds, it can still be profitable call if you can get paid off.

So, if hand odds < pot odds significantly, its an easy fold. If its hand odds > pot odds significantly, its a profitable call. And if it's close but still a negative call, you potentially have implied odds if you call but folding is fine as well.
Ranging your opp. Is the biggest variable in this calculation though. This changes real odds to applied odds....

With that in mind their are short cuts to calculate odds with a few simple rules....

How to calculate a coin flip.... any time you have a pair against 2 overs ex. TT vs. JQ, 55 vs. JT this works both ways. Winning side or losing side...

Next step would be 60/40.... the player with the highers card is the 60, while the vil with that 2nd highest card is the 40. Typically this is when a straight and or a flush can be made by both.... ex. AsTs vs. Jh9h, KcJc vs. QdTd.

Then everything else is dominated which is 75/25 or 80/20. These are spots we try to avoid completely when we are behind. When they either have the same top card better kicker, a pair of our high card, or the better card same draw. Ex. AJ vs. A9, or As5s vs. QsTs.

A

Ariand12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To simplify the calculations, I recommend comparing the benefits of sweat with the likelihood that your combination will be completed, expressed in primes.
For example, after the flop you have a flush draw
Sweat 80; call will cost you 20
Sweat benefits: 80 to 20 or 4 to 1
The probability that on the turn you get a 4 to 1 flush
If the profit from the sweat is greater or close to the probability of building a combination - a very easy count. This probability on the turn and river can be easily calculated with the help of outs, but it is easier to memorize or write on a piece of paper so as not to be distracted by unnecessary calculations, especially in online poker.
It should be borne in mind that the combination you built will not always be winning.
Thanks for your reply what dose sweat means in poker or benefits of sweat? [emoji28]

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill and using the ability to read situations and opponents to give you the advantage in each hand you play
It is also a game of mathematics, where you should be able to calculate the odds of either you or your opponent winning the hand in any situation :D

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

I have just started learning poker seriously and I have trouble when it comes to poker math, when I want to determine if my call is +EV and If I should make the call I take too long calculating and I end up making decisions without doing the calculation, calculating equity is easy for me but when I want to calculate pot odds percentage in order to compare it with equity percentage I'll end up using calculator when it comes to dividing,

I use this formula amount to call devide by (pot size + amount to call)

Exp:

pot size : 600

Amount to call : 500

600+500= 1100

500/1100= 0.45 = 45% pot odds

Can you guys do it quickly without the use of a calculator ? Is there a better method which gives the result in percentage form ?

Thank you
Away from the table calculate these:
The pot is 100 and opponent bets 50...
Pot is 100 and opponent bets 75....
Pot is 100 and opponent bets 100...
Pot is 100 and opponent beets 200...
Write that down on paper so now you have a cheat sheet for half pot bet, three quarter size bet, pot size bet and double the pot bet!
With this in front of you in your example you can look at the pot size and three quarter size bets and know that your percentage is somewhere in between!
Basically there are common bet sizes so calculate those, the best amounts and stack sizes might change but the % won't!

A

Ariand12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Away from the table calculate these:
The pot is 100 and opponent bets 50...
Pot is 100 and opponent bets 75....
Pot is 100 and opponent bets 100...
Pot is 100 and opponent beets 200...
Write that down on paper so now you have a cheat sheet for half pot bet, three quarter size bet, pot size bet and double the pot bet!
With this in front of you in your example you can look at the pot size and three quarter size bets and know that your percentage is somewhere in between!
Basically there are common bet sizes so calculate those, the best amounts and stack sizes might change but the % won't!
Thanks for the advice you are right doing this helps I'll do this too thanks

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Still need to consider potential chances.

And i'm interested in the formula for calldown when playing limit games. Can someone tell me?

O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good thread, doing the maths more quickly is crucial and any tips are very helpful.

One little thing, incase you haven't realised , on PS at least, the pot size is written on screen (fairly small) when somebody makes a bet, so the first little addition is already done