Poker Coach -- When Is Someone Ready?

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Has anyone seen an article online on when someone is likely to benefit from coaching? I'm guessing there's a minimum level of studying / books read / hands / experience / etc. that would be the right foundation to make sure coaching is effective.

From the perspective of the coach, I would've thought there are prerequisites for a student to have to make the coaching experience more rewarding. (That is, I'd have thought coaches want to till fertile ground rather than wasting time with folks not ready.)

I just don't recall seeing anything out there with a title like:
  • Am I ready for a poker coach? 7 signs (the last one will surprise you)
  • Checklist for prospective students; let's not waste our time!
  • Is coaching the next step? Answer these 10 questions to find out.
  • etc.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is more for which kind of coach am I ready or do I need?

Which level of play am I and which I want to learn? What is my goal by getting coaching? Who's coaching for this and who's/what's available?

I started poker by myself the first time.. after my 6 years break, I knew I needed some coaching.. the best I could afford was forums, online videos.. you can start with a coach at a 100$US/hr..

It's not an official or recognized coach, but I refer to a particular friend - he knows it - when I need hints in my game.. that's a buddy, but he's better then me and give me good tips.. that's coaching! For now, it qualifies for my needs. When it'll change, I'll advise !!

-TRP-

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are lots of different kinds of coaches, its really about finding one that fits your needs.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No study is needed for a coach i dont think althougj ive never taken coaching i would imagine the basics would be easy to learn in lesson one

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with Johnathan Little's eBooks on audible. Read one printed book (gus hansen) and took 2 online udemy courses from Altin hardin. They helped me tremendously. A small investment that helped me go from 50 to 450 in a few months.
I don't think I'm ready to invest in a coach. I don't play often enough.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The trainer gives direction and controls the corridor of your movement. You have to do the main work yourself, having spent a huge amount of time learning and self-analysis of yourself and yourself in poker. Are you ready for this now? This is the main question.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Coaching from the beginning.

Hi,

Has anyone seen an article online on when someone is likely to benefit from coaching? I'm guessing there's a minimum level of studying / books read / hands / experience / etc. that would be the right foundation to make sure coaching is effective.

From the perspective of the coach, I would've thought there are prerequisites for a student to have to make the coaching experience more rewarding. (That is, I'd have thought coaches want to till fertile ground rather than wasting time with folks not ready.)

I just don't recall seeing anything out there with a title like:
  • Am I ready for a poker coach? 7 signs (the last one will surprise you)
  • Checklist for prospective students; let's not waste our time!
  • Is coaching the next step? Answer these 10 questions to find out.
  • etc.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you for posting.

If you can afford it you should be coached from the first step. Why because we learn bad habits on our own. Tiger Woods while he was at his peak said I have a coach because I cannot see myself swing.

A second set of eyes by a qualified poker player will help you develop at light speed compared to years of trial and error.

Most of us cannot afford direct coaching. If you cannot. I recommend you search out Jonathan Little and soak up all his free videos and blogs and free webinars.

I will coach you if you send me a direct message and have something to trade ie social media skills or computing skills etc.

Hope this helps

:):)

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You know the best poker coaches I ever knew were Roy and Pino. They don't teach you a thing but observing their game and knowing the probabilities and the push shove dea when flop is dry. They don't do it all the time but if you notice when they do it.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I think you need a coach in two different moments:

1.- You've learned by yourself, but you realize that your poker level doesn't advance.

2.- You've lost a lot of money and you want to learn to play like a pro.

HobokenNJ

HobokenNJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for all the thoughts.

I do hope a blogger writes something on the topic. In my mind, I would think coaching would be most effective at some plateau. I don't think I've reached the point where coaching makes sense. I was hoping to a "step-by-step" guide to getting them.... e.g., read this book, play this number of hands, etc.

It sounds like there's no one approach for everyone.

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO Easy answer. You should get coaching ASAP.

So topics should be:

"10 reasons why you should get coaching ASAP."

C

Chicungulla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to slow down is to go down and give what a layoria runs

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting topic. I think it largely depends on your bankroll. If you're playing freerolls and then losing the couple of dollars you win on the first cash game you can get into, what is the point of spending $100 on a coaching session, or $1,500 on an online course. Equally, if you're a break even player at $0.25/$0.50, a few months coaching could be the best investment you ever make.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a coah should be used when you already have the basic knowledge of the game, because if you are going to pay a coach to learn from scratch, it would be better to pay for an online course of zeros poker or successful poker that are great.