lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
In everyday our life, we are in some way assessed by other people, including the employer. Every man demands that his efforts be rewarded. If not, does change the job or the way you live. If he can not do this and he will not find people who can possibly help him in this, the process of depression begins. Imo poker is our honest employer. He can evaluate and reward our efforts. The problem, however, when someone devotes a lot of time to poker and does not see the effects of the appropriate reward. He tries to lose his valuable time and still nothing. If he has a good way of thinking, he will certainly manage. Each tournament win causes our joy! However, if the player is not appreciated, is poker will not be a reason for him to start the depression? Do you think that poker can be the reason for depression?

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, but it is important to have a strong mentality that helps overcome the days of defeats, that's why poker is not for anyone

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything we do and this case does not bring any results to us,of course it is frustrating and annoying...

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depression is something that depresses us, can be attributed to anything, it is impossible to fight, because after the loss of the tournament,or for example the loss of work, we will be depressed ..
Poker as well as other gambling can not, and there is a reason for depression
Even if you're a millionaire who spits on money ,you'll be depressed after losing..

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They tested this on bots. They did show that losing can cause depressed poker bots.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think so. Especially when nothing works out.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gave up playing poker many times after very offensive defeats for a few days. Yes, indeed, poker can lead to depression. But it is important to know that there is a healthy passion and not healthy. I make a deposit of $ 5 once a month and I have enough of this to enjoy poker. But there are people who lose huge sums of money and lose homes. These people can not play poker.

G

goOgaaA9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me and people I know it gives not a depression but a lot of nerves and anger when poker goes bad :D

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker doesn’t makes depression. Losing is the first cause for depression, poker isn’t only a game, where mental plays a high role in it. So my advice is to not mix things. If you re always winning in poker will you be in a depression ? I don t think so . So just stay focused and prepared for poker , and organize yourself and u won r have any problem.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another downside to poker is the possibility of "addiction". I think this is related to depression. If winning at poker can give you a "high", then obviously, losing can give you the opposite (a low). The addiction element likely comes from the need for that "high" that comes from winning. But there will always be losses in poker.

Either way, knowledge is key, and we must know these things as poker players, so that we can be aware of them. Addiction and depression are both unhealthy and either can have very significant impacts to your life, if not kept in check.

Good luck at the tables and keep your head up. Losses will happen and hopefully, winning will be there as well. Keep your perspective healthy.

U

UDN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, this is possible, especially when you catch a strip and do not get out of it, losing all your bankroll . It all depends on discipline and a bit of luck. I already 3 times threw the poker after losing all the money =) I'm a bad player, alas.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In everyday our life, we are in some way assessed by other people, including the employer. Every man demands that his efforts be rewarded. If not, does change the job or the way you live. If he can not do this and he will not find people who can possibly help him in this, the process of depression begins. Imo poker is our honest employer. He can evaluate and reward our efforts. The problem, however, when someone devotes a lot of time to poker and does not see the effects of the appropriate reward. He tries to lose his valuable time and still nothing. If he has a good way of thinking, he will certainly manage. Each tournament win causes our joy! However, if the player is not appreciated, is poker will not be a reason for him to start the depression? Do you think that poker can be the reason for depression?

Poker can feel depressing at times. But poker does not and can not cause depression. Just like any job - you need balance in your life to feel valuable.

If you are feeling very depressed for many days and it doesn't go away consider seeing a doctor for some help.

Good luck !

Last edited:
eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker can bring out more of the tendencies that a person really is. Just like alcohol. Some folks can handle alcohol, ahem, poker, and it is not a problem. Other folks, need to stay away from alcohol, ahem, poker, if they do not want the chaos that follows its use.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well, I can imagine, that it brings to some people a kind of depression.
But I also think, it is depending on, if you play professionally poker or not.
As some mentioned, when loosing a job, it can depress someone. If you maybe only loose and it is somehow dangering your financial existence, it can be depressing probably somehow. But same as in other businesses. When you are
running good, you will do all things to be prepared for a while without income or in poker with down streaks.
When poker is just for your leisure time, then it shouldn't affect you that much in my opinion, because you don't have to rely on this income.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadness vs. Depression

Something that is a very, VERY touchy subject for me is when typical people say something "depresses" them because it makes them a little sad for a little while. Feeling sad is NOT being depressed. Feeling sad is an emotional reaction to something bad happening that goes away on its own after a while. Feeling depressed is a deep psychological or physiological mental health problem that needs treatment. It is extraordinarily important that everyone use the term "sad" and NEVER use the term "depressed" to mean feeling sad. it actually causes depressed people to not seek help because they think everyone feels this way, when everyone doesn't feel that because they simply feel sad for a while and it goes away.

I'm someone who spent 20 years suffering from depression. I'm glad to say I finally found a treatment option that works after 20 years and my mental health issues are finally under control.

To answer the question, losing poker causes sadness for a while.
Losing poker can worsen an existing depression.
But losing poker does not "cause" depression in someone who is not a depressed person.

That being said, the side effects of losing poker can contribute to someone becoming depressed. If you lose all your money, your wife divorces you and you eventually lose your job because you spend too much time on poker, then those are side effects which can cause a major depressive episode, but playing poker or even losing poker itself does not cause depression.

One final tip, for people who wonder if they are depressed. You don't have to feel sad 24/7 to be in a depression. It took me a long time to figure that one out. It is possible to "have a good time" and even honestly laugh at jokes while feeling depressed. The question is, how do you feel when you are not distracting yourself? If you find a sadness when everyone is gone or when you're not actively doing anything and those periods last for 2 weeks or more, then you need to see a professional.

DanyDGD

DanyDGD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you re always winning in poker will you be in a depression ? I don t think so .

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you re always winning in poker will you be in a depression ? I don t think so .

Actually, yes. When you are a depressed person, everything in your life can be good and great and you still feel sad every day for weeks on end.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great point!
This goes along the lines of what I was going to say.
Depression happens in the mind so rarely is it the experiences themselves that define the experience but rather our reaction to them.
This is a sentiment subtly shared by many free rollers I'm sure as its really hard to be a winning poker player & harder to see the long run if you're not properly bankrolled.

CadoARAJ

CadoARAJ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if you loose. Winning there is no depression.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I can relate to this post. I pretty much have a limit to how many times i can get bad beated/coolered/miss before I just don't want to play anymore. I wouldn't say I'm depressed while I play though, only on certain days, most days I can still be satisfied when I play well, even if I don't win