Are Poker Books Useless/Obsolete?

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are books useless nowadays?Is it better to use some programms for growth in poker or to discuss hands in forums like this.

unnamed72

unnamed72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books can give you basic knowledge, but for the advanced level, you need to watch streams and training videos with analysis of successful players. some players hire coaches it’s very effectively

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I don't think they are entirely useless, but in my opinion, the best teacher is the experience.

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No! You did not find any justification to actually go out and buy books, maybe it's because you're a more visual person. First, you have to find which is the best way for you learn. Exist some ways of learn: auditory, visual and kinesthetic, for example. After of finding the best way, then you decide.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they weren't and aren't for me.. a book is always useful!

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, can't say books are useless...but who have time and patience to read them these days? Well, i can't talk for everyone, but havent read any book for years now. Definately experience best teacher. So i still have to say : Books are not useless.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books is not useless, but right now you can find all the information in the web. There are lot of videos on Youtube and so on, so that,s all depends on what you like more. I,m sure, there are still people who will prefer to get the information from the books.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Saying that all books are useless is too general statement. I found very useful information in books. The basic poker knowledge related to mathematics and statistics have not changed and will not change anytime soon so even old books can be useful regarding this basic knowledge. For me reading ebooks on my phone is pleasant experience and you can do it whenever you have some free time.

Of course everybody needs to find what way of learning is best for him. Some people like to read books, other to watch videos, third prefer somebody to teach them and fourth to play as much games as possible and learn this way. There is nothing wrong with either method as far as it is good for you. :)

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not all books are useless, as already stated, they can get you thinking in the right direction. I don't think there is a book that is going to teach you to play perfect poker immediately, though. (but if you find it let me know ;))

There are great players who have never read a book, and there are some that have. I think to be a good player you have to use all the tools available to you... forums like this, live-streams and videos, articles, coaching, etc., etc., and you have to continue working at it if you want to keep improving.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books can give you basic knowledge, but for the advanced level, you need to watch streams and training videos with analysis of successful players. some players hire coaches it’s very effectively

Coaches and watching it on tv/online is where it's at. Being able to see different strategies and variances makes a huge difference. Books will only give you one perspective.

If you were asking about 20 years ago, then books would definitely be of some help. There are so many different ways to get a new strategy now.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think books are useless. For example, the Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler is a great book about tilt control and motivation. I learned a lot of info from this book that I haven't seen online.

But for the most part, most info can be found online, reading articles watching videos and streamers and by experience itself.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still find them useful for certain subjects as the game continues to change. There are lot other avenues for learning these days though.

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not; there's still a lot to learn from the books. Of course, the that now gotten weaker than the past; the videos of the matches seem to be more useful. review the tournaments as you can .and I promise u can be a win at all time

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i read a lot of books, but any books about poker, it is important for me to learn by doing: freerolls, satellites, tournaments and cash - it is as a sport, the more you train, the stronger you become)))

Jezdic

Jezdic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No book is a meaningless friend. Every book you read, you find something new, something you have not even heard or seen before.

T

TossUpKing

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
books will always be useful. you will learn that it's best to have multiple ways to educate yourself and none can top the #1 way, own personal experience.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi

No, I read only one book and it helped me a lot, every form of learning helps in poker.

R

r21sp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think books are not the best way to learn poker! Of course, the book can help you learn, but now there are many ways to learn that will be more effective!

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How the famous phrase: "When you open a book, you open a new world". Like videos or tutorials online, books of poker are packed with knowledge, insights and helpful advice.

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say they are. But, I can really tell your for the years I been playing poker I haven't read one book of poker and I would say I am pretty good not the best poker player but, maybe if I do read some books I can be a lot better.

R

RaydonPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wouldn't say it's useless, but just like other advice books, I would only try to take the few most impactful (to me) lessons rather than completely "going by the book" going forward. It's nice to pay attention and try things that I've never thought of doing before.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Each has a profile; have some prefer to learn from books, others by videos on Youtube, exchanging information here, coach, all previous... choose the one that you feel most comfortable and go ahead, in general I always take something useful (that can be used), regardless of the medium choisen

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting question. In my opinion, reading good books are definitely important if you want to improve your skill, analyse your hands and play more like professional. But it may be quite boring at the very beginning, so I think that firstly you should start playing to fell the nature of game and then combine your own experience with good advice from good books.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Additional software can no doubt be obsolete, but I believe that good books will always be useful for improving the game.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There is no doubt that the cardschat community is the best place. Here you will find a lot of useful information. But in my opinion, it is best to combine books, videos and daily practice. In addition, it is important to regularly analyze your game and your mistakes.