Are poker books still reference to ever-changing gameplay?

B

BrunoIngrassia

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have any modern and current books that still apply today? All I found were old "cake recipes" hehe. So I wondered whether or not to read older books like the poker green book.

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
twitch

I think you can use them to get some knowledge of the theory of the game but you will adapt more to todays online game watching twitch after reading a couple of books

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone have any modern and current books that still apply today? All I found were old "cake recipes" hehe. So I wondered whether or not to read older books like the poker green book.

Nowadays, books are no longer so relevant. it’s better to watch video courses of popular strong players, this will give much more advanced knowledge than books. in most of them the information is outdated

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just recently book Sklansky's Theory of Poker Applied to No Limit. After that is digested, I plan on picking up No Limit Hold'em. Theory and Practice. You can order both at a cost of $37 and change. I'm hoping these two books will help strengthen my game overall. I spend a fair amount of time watching Doug Polk videos.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Excelling at No Limit Hold'em by Jonathan Little and co is great

No limit hold'em for advanced player by Matthew Janda is too

Modern Poker Theory by Jonathan Acevado will teach you about GTO

These books will give you a solid strategy for winning in todays game,
If you learn best by reading then these are a great place to start!

I've also got a free training program that works in today's games
It's a 30 day program which you can find out more about here http://gripsed.com/pgms

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excelling at No Limit Hold'em by Jonathan Little and co is great

No limit hold'em for advanced player by Matthew Janda is too

Modern Poker Theory by Jonathan Acevado will teach you about GTO

These books will give you a solid strategy for winning in todays game,
If you learn best by reading then these are a great place to start!

I've also got a free training program that works in today's games
It's a 30 day program which you can find out more about here http://gripsed.com/pgms
You've listed bovoda and acr as two two sites for US players. What the he'll is wrong with 5dimes.EU?

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still doing a lot of my own research on the game, but it seems to me that the info on the internet (video or otherwise) is going to be much more relevant. The books don't update, the content on the internet does.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I would rather watch video tutorials than read poker books. It's a more practical and interactive way to accumulate new knowledge faster and more efficiently, at least for me.

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Books are not fundamental, I think everything moves and changes constantly in poker. Surely they serve as a guide, but should reinforce your knowledge with tutorials PRO players, live classes, and above all experienced. You must play a lot of mistakes you learn. :)

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would rather watch video tutorials than read poker books. It's a more practical and interactive way to accumulate new knowledge faster and more efficiently, at least for me.

I've recently become a subscriber to Andrew Neeme's vlog on youtube. Well worth the time spent cycling through his videos imho.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I've recently become a subscriber to Andrew Neeme's vlog on youtube. Well worth the time spent cycling through his videos imho.

I will follow him. Thank you for sugestion.

SLazarov

SLazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thanks for the hint, seems like useful videos

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
software too

I'm also using software to help with my understanding og bet sizing, bluffing and trapping. I use Wilson Turbo Omaha High Pot Limit and Wilson No Limit Holdem. Also use Poker-Genius.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't really recommend any but I do believe that you need to get a solid grounding from a respected source. Most actual winning pros qualify. The basics are the basics and will never change. Beyond that I believe that the most important way to develop is introspection. Whenever I lose a hand I replay it and debrief myself. Did I do something wrong? Sometimes the answer is yes - sometimes it isn't, but I ask myself anyways. If I made a msitake, what should I have done? I do this every single time I lose a hand, and often when I win them too.

I learn from playing Cardschat League games as well. You get to know certain players and their styles. One player, who shall go nameless, can be ultra-aggressive with the crappiest hands.That's not my style, but I've learned from watching him do it that there is a place in my toolkit for that type of play too, in moderation of course.

S

simmo5050

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would recommend:

Books:

- Harrington on Holdem (cash or his three tourney books )

- Ed Miller's books

Websites:
Brad Owen
Doug Polk / Upswing
Jonathan Little
Bart Hanson

Many people fail to grasp the fundamentals before they focus on less useful stuff. Also, there is so much info out there, you can get overwhelmed.

I also recommend Old School Live at the Bike (free) - most webcasts have great commentary by Bart Hanson and David Tuchman. The games have changed since 2004-2006 but their comments are and would be relevant mostly still.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think books are great for building a solid foundation for understanding most concepts, even in the modern day game, but, it you want to be bang up-to-date with the way the pros are approaching the game, then Twitch is where you want to be.

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I value the material on Jonathan Little's Pokercoaching.com. He's got a great slate of interactive content and strong stable of coaches - - Faraz Jaka, Evan Jarvis, Matt Affleck, Michael Acevedo and Tristin Wade. You can try 5 days for free and see if work for you.

dartablasta

dartablasta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest i think books are obsolet right now, the are so Many info on websites AND vídeos with better strategy and flow than pokerbooks

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I,m reading Harrington on holdem now. Really fundamental book to gameplay analysis. I strongly recommend it(especially to fans of old-school playing style).

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For the fundamental basis of poker and basic knowledge you need to read from books.and the acquired knowledge to strengthen and correct the gamе.

Top 10 Games