• Start date
M

monsieur penous

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I am a beginner/intermediate player in university and my ultimate passion is to become a pro poker player. I do not have enough bankroll to continuously lose in tournaments or low stakes, so I figured I turn to pure studying until I feel competent. I feel books from the public library would be my best bet, What would be the best books to start off reading? Also any other tips, advice etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Threshold2122

Threshold2122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess it would depend on your style of play

Are you aggressive? Tight? Do you trap? Do you bully?

After you know what type of player you are then you can find the books that are most suited to getting the best out of your style of play

Good luck out there

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Threshold2122.
Find a player who's style you like. Then find material from that player.
I started off reading Dan Harrington's books, and Doyle Brunson, as they play tight aggressive (how I wanted to play).
Nearly all the pro's have material out there. Study from the best :)

N

NPM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I am a beginner/intermediate player in university and my ultimate passion is to become a pro poker player. I do not have enough bankroll to continuously lose in tournaments or low stakes, so I figured I turn to pure studying until I feel competent. I feel books from the public library would be my best bet, What would be the best books to start off reading? Also any other tips, advice etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks

Am reading "No Limit Texas Hold'em: a Complete Course" by Angel Largay. It is interessting and fairly basic for an intermediate player. I suspect most libraries have a copy or can get one.

NPM

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been playing poker for two years, but unfortunately I have not read a single poker book yet. I am also looking for a book worth reading, and maybe thanks to your question, I will also be able to find something suitable for myself.

G

Germanets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

Thanks
First book I read about poker is "The theory of poker" by David Sklansky and it really changed my playstyle and things what I thinking about during the play. One thing about books - in most cases books will reflect the author's strategy and play style, and there is big chances that this playstile is not comfortable for you or requires much more basic skills than you have now.
As for me - it's good idea to start in parallel to reading, or before your first book - Online Poker Strategy Guides & Theory section of this site, or start this course. Probably, online courses will not give you deep knowledge in some specific poker thing as books, but will give you a lot of answers.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I loved Harrington when I was starting out too, but I would also say there are some great free videos as well as books. I would recommend to read some books but don't overlook poker videos online as they keep up to date with the latest. Gripsed has tons of free videos, just google him :)

Pepitcho23

Pepitcho23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the better way to learn about poker its to play, and learn from your previous mistake.
Its also good to read book about psychology.
Then you will be able to read your opponent cards.
I practise from years... i continue to learn everyday while playing.
Good luck my friend:stupido:

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Here is a list of good and useful books :
Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker"
Ed Miller "Texas Holdem for beginners"
Ed Miller "Professional NL Holdem"
Ed Miller "Small Stakes NL Holdem"
Andrew Seidman "The Easy Game"
Tri Nguyen "The NL Holdem Workbook"

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Great selection by Infonazar.
There is fantastic online stuff which is about the game now. I suggest you check out bencb.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I started learning poker, I also devoured books borrowed from public libraries, and my starter courses were Little Green Book and Little Blue Book (both by Phil Gordon) and Mastering Small Stakes NLHE (Jonathan Little) were my starter courses -- still worth re-reading today.

For intermediate/recreationals, materials by Alexander "Assassinato" Fitzgerald (The Myth of Poker Talent, podcast, newsletters) would be my recommendation, dunno if his books are available in libraries tho.

Have a great poker journey!

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ed Miller "hold'em for beginners", Nathan Williams "beat Microlimits", all information can be found on the Internet...Good luck...

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ed Miller "hold'em for beginners", Nathan Williams "beat Microlimits", all information can be found on the Internet...Good luck...

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books, of course, can provide the necessary knowledge, but I am convinced that practical knowledge is more important than theoretical. Also, to be honest, I just don't have time to read books. Usually I prefer YouTube videos.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Streams can also be very useful since they show great players making real-time decisions and they're also free to watch. I also second Germanets' excellent recommendations and you're welcome to post any questions if you take the CardsChat course.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best way is to play but some shortcuts may work for standard players yet I do find more knowleadge then in any books by playing the game.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are brand new I would start with Phil Gordon's Little Green Book.

Its an easy read and gives you easy to apply concepts to get you started.

Next I would read the Harrington on Holdem series. The Little Green book will give you enough background to get the most out of this series and will give you a solid play style to start with.

Finally I would recommend "The Middle Zone" by Annie Duke. Most of our money is won and lost in these types of hands.

P

Paddy_8i

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks all for the awnsers, you help me alot to search literature of NLH THANKS ALL :)