Podcast/tv while pokering

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I feel like this is kind of a cop out for not just focusing 100% on my poker sessions, but I find that I like to have something on in the background, like sports or a podcast, while i’m playing. I know this completely goes against what even I believe to be the case for playing poker, which is that I think you need to be 110% focused and even a 1 second lapse of focus and I can lose my entire stack. But at the same time sometimes I’m just in the mood to watch a podcast while I’m playing some poker. Do y’all think this is alright sometimes? Or even most of the time? (I only do it sometimes but jw). I feel like I could argue for it (having something playing in the background that I can listen to/watch) actually helping my winrate though. And that would be because I’m less likely to get bored or rush things, or if I have a bad beat or etc I can just be more automatic about things and also have something to distract me when I need it. And then of course whenever I’m in a hand, I’m 110% focused on the hand.

Any input here?

Thanks!
Mark

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess sometimes I’m just more in a lazy mood and I’d rather play poker (while watching a podcast) than not play at all.

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But at the same time I very much like the idea of when “stepping on the felt” only having 110% focus so that it is just a habit to only play when I’m ready to sit up straight and have zero distractions and such. I like the idea of making that firm boundary so that I know in my mind that when I step on the felt I am playing my A game only.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could always load up another table or two instead!

For me, I find it distracting to play and listen to podcast/TV at the same time. Music works much better. But it's all individual; if you concentrate well and enjoy having talk on in the background, that's great.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would do what works best for you. Some people can multitable to relieve the boredom, but that does not help the person who is not capable of multitabling or is on a site that allows 1 table at a time.

I have played poker having the business channel on in the background. Well, the business channel generally repeats itself about every 3 hours, so I do not have to pay a lot of attention to the business channel while my poker is going on.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

I feel like this is kind of a cop out for not just focusing 100% on my poker sessions, but I find that I like to have something on in the background, like sports or a podcast, while i’m playing. I know this completely goes against what even I believe to be the case for playing poker, which is that I think you need to be 110% focused and even a 1 second lapse of focus and I can lose my entire stack. But at the same time sometimes I’m just in the mood to watch a podcast while I’m playing some poker. Do y’all think this is alright sometimes? Or even most of the time? (I only do it sometimes but jw). I feel like I could argue for it (having something playing in the background that I can listen to/watch) actually helping my winrate though. And that would be because I’m less likely to get bored or rush things, or if I have a bad beat or etc I can just be more automatic about things and also have something to distract me when I need it. And then of course whenever I’m in a hand, I’m 110% focused on the hand.

Any input here?

Thanks!
Mark
The main trouble I see is that sometimes the most important information you will get about your opponents is when you are NOT in the hand. By focusing only 110% when you are in the hand, you are missing out on gathering a lot of information. Unless, of course, you are playing 100% of the hands! :D:D;)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Any input here?

Thanks!
Mark

This is very common with online poker. I know lots of poker players (even some great players) who play with the tv on, or a podcast, or something similar. Different things for different people, but I personally find this a distraction. Perhaps it is the Phil Ivey side of me, but I'm always giving poker my 110% focus and attention :D

It might work okay for some people, but I feel like I'd be missing potential information due to being distracted. When playing online, I only play with music and for live games I don't even do that.

With live poker, I don't use music because I feel like "what if?" there might be some audible tell I'm missing due to my music distracting me. Since online poker doesn't have sound-based tells, then I'm okay with background music based on how I feel, but I've also sometimes played with no music and no background distractions as well.

Again, different things for different people I suppose ;)

You could always load up another table or two instead!

For me, I find it distracting to play and listen to podcast/TV at the same time. Music works much better. But it's all individual; if you concentrate well and enjoy having talk on in the background, that's great.

xD I think I'll stick with one table for now. The most I've ever had simultaneously is two tables because two CardsChat events coincided with another. I did okay with two games at once though. I made the Final Table in one game and busted with a 70% favorite hand in the other. For that two-hour time period I was multi-tabling though, I actually felt good despite the "extra information." I'd probably be willing to multi-table in the future, but I currently do not use a HUD, so I'm pretty sure that is a must when multi-tabling. :D Yes, even with two tables and no HUD, I was still taking mental notes on what I thought about each player lol (this player re-raising out of line, that player being fishy, that player playing well etc.)

I like to keep my focus on the game - more tables equals more distractions. Therefore, I'll stick with one table if I can...but I'd be willing to take that leap into multi-tabling if I need to get in the volume of games and am confident I won't lose too much of my "edge" due to too many tables for what I can handle efficiently. :)

The main trouble I see is that sometimes the most important information you will get about your opponents is when you are NOT in the hand. By focusing only 110% when you are in the hand, you are missing out on gathering a lot of information. Unless, of course, you are playing 100% of the hands! :D:D;)

+1 Exactly! Sometimes I like trying to guess the hole cards of player(s) when I'm no longer in the hand. It is fun for me when I turn it into a game of sorts and it is also useful in figuring out how players play. Best part? It didn't cost me even a single chip more ;) It is free information for the taking lol Of course, it is only "free" if you don't have distractions like the tv or a podcast; even if the information is out there, you have to take it for yourself :cool: