pockets

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket pairs i find are the most dangerous and decieving situations a the various ways to play them will win or sometimes lose huge pots aswell.

for example you have an ak and dont know your opponent has 22 etc and your flop is ak2
off the mark youll pretty much probably feel comfortable that you have the best hand???

and then comes the turn being a 7 or something simular and so you decide to make a value bet where your opponent flat calls you and you are left feeling satisfied that you are going to take the pot down and maybe even thinking that your opponent has a weaker ace.

and finally the river is an 8 leaving no straights down and suddenly your opponent goes all in which will end your tournament if you call.

alot of us can be blinded by the size of the pot and have not a single doubt in our mind that we are going to lose this pot so you 9times out of 10 will call only to read the bad news.

and i just wanted to know if this has happened to others and would you call if you were in the same situation. (obviously not knowing your opponent has trips?

SirLongbottom

SirLongbottom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hhmmmm...depends really..position and knowing how your opponent plays makes a difference...but those situations are generally tough to figure out...depends how big of a value bet you make on that turn, and, depends if its live or online..depending on how quickly he calls you can kinda tell hes got something strong..

the way you say on the river he jams it depends if hes first to act or if you checked and then he jams(depending on position matters and how quickly he jams...also depends on the pot and your stack..also depends how deep you are in the tourney and if your feeling ballsy...so there is a lot to account for

but i feel like id probably make the sigh call with top two, but sure smells like im beat..also depends how the action went preflop..like if he flats a min raise or its a limped pot (which it shouldnt be if your holding AK lol) then its typical he has a weak pocket pair...and then something like 2 7 8 and jam on river makes me feel like hes trying to look weak when he hit his trips on the turn or river...

for example, i had 1010 pre and raise 3x and one player calls and flop comes all low like 369 and he just jams...i had to call and he shows trip 6's...those are donk moves i should have avoided calling in that situation though cause he could of had an over pair but it happens bro..and that was live

hope that helps a bit lol

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This happens all the time, especially in modern poker, where players sit to the last with a pocket pair. Sets on a small pocket pair in poker are considered the most dangerous combination, because it is very difficult to read. And the situation described by you is an ordinary cooler.