Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thaneth

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold them unless there are more than 2 players left to play against me, because then the chances rise that other players have only an a or k and calling with them.

S

Samantha5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
twizzybop said:
I don't go by the law by using this but....

In Early position
Raise with A-A, K-K and A-Ks from any position. (s denotes suited cards) Call with A-K, A-Qs, K-Qs and Q-Q J-J, T-T and fold everything else.

In Middle position
Call with, 9-9, 8-8, A-Js, A-Ts, Q-Js, A-Q, K-Q

Now also depends on how many have called or trying to limp-in. Early Middle I usually fold but late middle if the 1st to fold then I will call. Early position, maybe early in the game of a tourney I will call. But when raised, I will fold them. I like to stay tight to the field narrows when possible.
Twizzybop:

Regarding your post on TT:

I'm folding KQs from early position. Sure it looks pretty, but if some joker bluff-raises you w/ A2 offsuit, guess what-- he's the favorite. Like I said, it looks pretty, but you need to let it go from early position, unless you're I-HOPed (short-stacked), in which case bring it in for a raise.

S

smilerkyle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i was a short stack then i would go all in with a pair of tens.

otherwise i think i would just call and make sure i see the flop before losing a massive percentage of my chips.

more than one card over 10 in the flop and i wouldnt bet too much, another 10 and im all in. naive?

schavin

schavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your playing me

I just got busted out in a tourney by a chick who was sitting on pocket tens, I had A4d, flop 4?,4?,10d, she checks, I check, turn card Jd, she bets 500, I go all in she calls, I drive all the way back home. So if your playing me, please fold pocket tens.

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always sit back on these. So many ways to lose... but when you flop a set ... yowsa!!

W

WesCharge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the # of people in the hand...1 on 1 should be a 50-50 toss up....

H

holly5199

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on the player I have never lost a hand when I have poket 10s they are my cards so I do raise pre flop but i think it is a players choice and I think you also have to take into concideration how the other players have been playing.

MDR86

MDR86

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normaly slow play tens, hoping to flop a set. Unless I am shorted stacked then I will go all in.

P

policy_maker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play pockets deifferently every time. Slow rollem, preflop raise, but it does depend on the caliber of the players you play against and most of all the flop!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket Tens are a good play. You have more possibilities of good hands like three of a kind, full house, and a high straight. Tens may not be a good pair because any head card can beat it. But, it could be a good combination of a full house.

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Medium and small pocket pairs are the most difficult hands to play at a full table. Position is crucial as noted above. If you bet big and steal the blinds no big victory. If you limp in and fill your set, you still run the risk of being outdrawn.

I feel you have to make a small raise and then reappraise based on how the table responds.

S

Sayyouwill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
10s on the bubble.

Well, here's one --
I am in decent shape on final table, but I think it's on the bubble. So, first one out won't get paid. I'm in early position. BB = $14K. I raise to $33K. One of the blinds re-raises me to $67K. I don't seriously think about folding. I consider shoving all in although I had at least 20 x BB. Instead, I call.
The flop comes J, under card, under card. The opponent bets $100K, so I fold.
I lose a similar hand with KQ when I was big blind although I just called the raise. In this case, there was an ace showing on board. Big blinds were $24K at this point.
I do shove in with QQ preflop and lose to AK, but I'd already burnt half my stack on the previous two hands and such.
So, anyway, about the tens. I may have overvalued my position a bit, since it becomes a race to the flop sometimes. First to act may be first to claim the pot.
Did my opponent steal the pot? It's possible. This same guy slow played pocket Kings, so he may have just had overcards. He may have also hit the jack(pot).
I didn't shove all-in preflop, but I probably had the best hand. I may have well been going up something in the range of ace-face.
I knew I'd have other chances, but even the favorable QQ didn't work out for me.
It's a little different when you're in the money already and playing to double your winnings then to just beat the bubble. Interestingly, right after the 10s hand, folks all voted to eliminate the bubble and pay an extra place.
Had I already beaten the bubble, I think I would have shoved in pre-flop after the re-raise. My oppoent had me outstacked, so I probably wouldn't have scared him either way. I may have at least had a favorable coin-flip.
I can learn. I folded the KQ in the following hand after I lost a bit with the same stuff in the big blind. Interestingly, KQ may have better odds than the 10s to improve on the flop. So, for seeing a flop, the KQ is actually the less regrettable play.
In tournaments, it's sometimes easier to play with a short stack. In that case, I would have shoved. I also would've shoved if my opponent was outstacked.
Strangley, if the reraise was bigger, then I may actually gone all in too. Over 20 big blinds is a decent amount to wager on 10-10, but it's a tourney. The $33K was over 10% of my stack.
Finally, I don't think I dislike the way I played the hand, just the net result. If someone bet out with AK on a dry flop, then I was simply outplayed per a circumstance. One can't win them all.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is true beauty ITT.

First, this thread is from the earliest days of CC, and shows what CC was doing in those early days.

Second is that a new guy dug deep into the annals of CC and found this, and posted his first post in response.

Not absolutely positive, but I think that at the time there was no distinction between cash and tourney play.

:D

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
Open raise any position.
If one or 2 limpers --raise
If 3+ limpers and last to act call otherwise-- raise (unless known trapper in pot)
If one raise and no callers-- call or raise - player dependant
If one open raise and 1 or 2 callers-- raise
If raise and reraise - fold
If open call, and raise - fold
Flop
If had lead-- Keep lead on every flop 2/3-3/4 pot unless vs. more than 2 players. If hit set or overpair and open ended straight draw I would JAM pot to 1.5pot vs most players beacuse it may look very weak or bluffy.
If do not have lead, play very straight foreward vs. 2 or more opponents, vs 1 I might call, raise or check raise with second pair or better depending on the opponent.
On any street I fold to heavy action.
Turn and river -- are very situation and opponent specific.

M

mikeisanace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket jj and pocket tens should be played cautiously

It's best to limp with these hands as they play well in multi way pots. Just call from utg and even in position sometimes. Call the blind and if it's raised say 5 x just flat call giving you informational advantage. The raiser probably has ak.aa,or aq your hoping just high cards if he had 88 he might not raise it up. You simply watch other players call the raise to decipher what they may have essentially you let someone else raise it up for you. Then hope for a 10-4-A flop and win the hand and dump it on k-q-6 boards or A-5-3 anything that's generally got you beat. The idea is you raise it up and steal the blinds if your first to enter but in tournament play sometimes a maniac or short stack will reraise or go all in with q-6 suited. The reason 10-10 plays well if everyone just calls is because you can hit weird flops like 789 and still have live outs and is only dangerous on flops like 10-4-k all spades and you have 2 red tens making your limp in a bad play,but this rarely happens.

Last edited:
M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-max 1010 is a raise from any position. Full-ring probably dumping it UTG/UTG+1 or limping it to set-mine, and raising from any other position. Just because an overcard comes to your pocket pair does not mean that your opponent has it. It is really hard to make a pair in poker, and making top pair is much harder than you think it is. In these scenarios, 1010 can be used as a bluff-catcher, or just c-bet to take the pot down. J high flop heads-up I'm probably OTF checking to induce some bluffs and to pot control. Betting turn if they check again or check behind. But yeah I think 99/1010/JJ were tough to play when I first started out.

M

mksbl07

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10's are one of the most difficult hand for me personally to play

Status
Not open for further replies.