Pocket pairs

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs can be tricky to play and there are lots of different factors that make up the way we play them position, stack sizes etc my question is how do you play them? from early positions a high amount of time I'll fold deuces through 6s am I wrong to do so from later positions I've shoving 7through Jack's any big pair I'll raise call or raise reraise depending on if its a shove I'm calling

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket pairs can be tricky to play and there are lots of different factors that make up the way we play them position, stack sizes etc my question is how do you play them? from early positions a high amount of time I'll fold deuces through 6s am I wrong to do so from later positions I've shoving 7through Jack's any big pair I'll raise call or raise reraise depending on if its a shove I'm calling

The way I deal with low pocket pairs is if its early position I limp or call a small raise and if in late position I would make a standard raise.

The flop is important because if you hit trips, you will rake however if there are overcards its an easy fold.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
to all this you need to take into account the behavior and style of playing rivals at the table.

F

FunkNShine

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way I deal with low pocket pairs is if its early position I limp or call a small raise and if in late position I would make a standard raise.

The flop is important because if you hit trips, you will rake however if there are overcards its an easy fold.
Basically this, try to see that flop as cheaply as possible, without giving away that I'm limping in. Small raise in late position, maybe just a call if I'm super early.

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Your strategy is not bad,maybe 55+ you can raise from early pozition and limp in middle pozition if you have some limpers from early pozition...

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From EP, I will generally open with a range of 77+. From LP, I'll generally open 22+. As always, I'll adjust these ranges as necessary, but I always raise rather than limp. In the games I play, it's just about impossible to limp anyway. I know a lot of people only play premium hands in EP, but I think it's important to play more balanced range that includes pocket pairs and suited connectors. When the flop produces over cards, your c-bet can represent them. When you hit a set or other strong hand, your hand is a lot more hidden.

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play aggressively being aggressive is always good

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the beginning of the tournament you should not use small pairs. As the stack increases, you can include in the game and raise to small pocket pairs. At the last table, small pairs with a small stack is already a salvation for the player to go to аllin.

E

eyeluvpoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play all pocket pairs in any position if I can get in cheap. You got to see a flop and hope to hit the set. Your small set may not win every time but can be a big payoff if someone hits their Ace and rides it all the way against your small set.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a low pocket pair and I’m first to act I’ll usually fold. If there are a few limpers or a small raise and some flats, I’ll jump in and see the flop hoping to get a set. It’s easy to get away if you miss. I’d rather have a larger number of players see the flop to try and make it worthwhile.

High pairs I’ll raise and try to isolate one or two players. I don’t want a lot of players as they may catch a two pair and render my high pair useless and can lose a lot of money. I’m not trying to hit trips with a high pair just hoping no over cards come.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the table a bit, if I know players are prone to raising, I'll fold my low pocket pairs in early position since I'm not likely to cheaply see the flop. If I think I can see a cheap flop, I will try and play my pocket pairs. If someone shoves, remember that if they have a higher pocket pair, your chances of winning the hand are 20% or lower. If they don't have a pocket pair, then you are likely to have just over 50% equity. I'll usually be able to call a shove with Jacks or better, I can shove if I need to with a bit more than that since I am also getting fold equity.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that not playing 22-66 from UTG-LoJack is correct until you understand your table and the players in cash games. In a tournament you could have the same play when stacks get shorter but while deep staked, which is early in a tournament you should be looking for ways to play these hands from early postion because they are hands that play well in multiway pots. I would be making 2.2bb raise with 77+ and 3 betting with 99+ and 4betting with JJ+ and Cold 4 betting or 5 bet shoving AA or KK. Calling is always an option anywhere in here to mix up you hands and strengthen your ranges. The biggest problem you'll have with pockets is laying them down post flop.

Last edited:
Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my case all the pairs from QQ up, game 3B and in case of AA or KK I go all in in case of a resurface of the villain. The other pairs I try to call before a raise to see what the flop brings and according to the first letters go see how my game continues

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first important thing is to stay true to your type of game. If you are usually aggressive, then you have every reason to be once again because even a small pair has great potential for success. The cards of the carpet will be essential to improve your game but you have the important advantage of owning a game underwater. your eventuality brelan will go unnoticed.

If you are rather passive or discreet, Without losing too many chips, you can pay the big blind and see if the flop will be generous with you. You have 12% to get your set on the flop.