Pocket jj good hand or not

bra01

bra01

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF PLAYING POCKET JJ I ALWAYS HAVE BAD LUCK WHEN I TRY TO PLAY THEM AGGRESSIVELY OFF THE BAT TO KEEP THE PLAYERS TO A MINIMUM SHOULD I SLOW PLAY THEM OR BE AGGRESSIVE THANK FOR THE HELP APPRECIATED IAMBIC GOOD LUCK ON THE TABLES ALL

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pocket pair JJ - a strong starting hand in Texas Hold'em. This is a difficult hand for the draw, because often there are doubts when the board comes Q, K or A. After the flop, a pair of jacks becomes a vulnerable hand. With a pair of JJ you need to understand when to fold a hand.
This hand can not be played slowly, and the best option is to win the pot pre-flop or flop. With pocket jacks often win small pots.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at least when statrting out with pocket jacks if the flop shows a K Q or A then you can fold and save your chips

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J It's a gentle hand to play! It all depends on the bets before you! and position of the table! UTG1 + 2 I constumi raise low, on looser tables

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're going to get a lot of AK AQ callers when you play JJ aggressively, so in the end it's not really much better that 22 or 33, except when you get really weak opponents who play small pairs as if they're AA.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A medium-strength hand and play it is necessary depending on the position and opponents at the table. but the fact that you were lucky with such a hand does not speak of its strength.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider JJ to be the most dangerous hand. If you're in a tournament or position where you're close to the money or really want to last, I don't suggest going all-in preflop with it. Of course if you're doing a freeroll with 2,000 players and it's the second hand I say go for it.
If a Q, K, or A comes up on the board though, someone is likely to have you beat, especially if they raised.

R

Running Nose II

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a hamd you have to play carefully and if posible wait until the flop goes down. If no A, K, or Q appears, try not to be too excited and bet reasonably. Someone nay be checking with a set.

AMTF1988

AMTF1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket jacks have around a 55% chance of an over card coming down, against once opponent you may stand a chance, but against more than that... Not really. That said I have won my fair share of JJ shoves

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind variation, so I play JJ aggressively.

Douglas Gonzaga

Douglas Gonzaga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have not won with JJ either

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, JJ is a strong hand.

Yes, JJ will sometimes lose.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
JJ is definitely a good hand, but can be also a tricky hand to play.
It is always depending on the situation. When you are preflop and there
was no action before you so far, there should be definitely a proper raise preflop. I mean no min bet or too low bet.

Then it depends how many callers you have.
Is there only one or two callers and maybe only one higher card on flop, then I would do a continuation bet. Not too small, not too big, so you can estimate, if someone hit something. But this is of course also depending on your oponents and your read on them. If you have a call station or not. So you need to adjust your game on them. Also need to see their reactions, when you get a reraise or so. Also you need to see how the board develops afterwards.
If you have 2 overcards on board, I would consider to fold.

If there was preflop a lot of limpers and you are late in position, I also would consider to limp in in some situations. Because then your hand may be already not good anymore preflop, because too many with A,K and Q at their hands.

If there was preflop a raise and a reraise, I would consider to throw them away.
But everything is of course depending on the reads to your oponents.

What is also important is the size of your stack and the stage of a tourney.
If you have only 10 BB left and there was not much action before, they are
absolutely worth a push.
There are several things, that you need to take into account when playing JJ.

Anatoliy Tolik

Anatoliy Tolik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not understand this ever since the aggressive game here is for luck, because I will be hiding from A and 3 and I will move you into trash. Grow wisely and rationally.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
JJ is definitely a good hand, but can be also a tricky hand to play.
It is always depending on the situation. When you are preflop and there
was no action before you so far, there should be definitely a proper raise preflop. I mean no min bet or too low bet.

Then it depends how many callers you have.
Is there only one or two callers and maybe only one higher card on flop, then I would do a continuation bet. Not too small, not too big, so you can estimate, if someone hit something. But this is of course also depending on your oponents and your read on them. If you have a call station or not. So you need to adjust your game on them. Also need to see their reactions, when you get a reraise or so. Also you need to see how the board develops afterwards.
If you have 2 overcards on board, I would consider to fold.

If there was preflop a lot of limpers and you are late in position, I also would consider to limp in in some situations. Because then your hand may be already not good anymore preflop, because too many with A,K and Q at their hands.

If there was preflop a raise and a reraise, I would consider to throw them away.
But everything is of course depending on the reads to your oponents.

What is also important is the size of your stack and the stage of a tourney.
If you have only 10 BB left and there was not much action before, they are
absolutely worth a push.
There are several things, that you need to take into account when playing JJ.

Very well explained, and examined in details :)

I will just add, based on personal experience, that JJ (as well the pairs of QQ and below) are good also to call a 3 way shoving in early stages of large MTT's, as obviously most of the aces and kings are already dealt, so mathematically you have more chance to withstand even with not hitting the board :D

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They say that every way to play JJ is wrong. I don't get crazy with them myself. If it's been awhile since I raised or played a hand then I will raise depending on position. I tend to treat them as small pocket pair from EP or MP. And of course I shove them with <20 BB

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is awesome hand,i always go all-in with this hand that is the best way to play it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands