pocket aces

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so many times i feel i dont get enough value for my pocket pair (aces) either i overbet, and everyone folds or i slow play and usually get burned by a flush or straight. How do you play them?

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's good to increase the pot initially so that only one or two people get to the flop. However, just because you have AA doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get a read on the others hands. If you can get a good idea of what the opponents got, you'll be able to make educated guesses on whether you are ahead. Personally I'd rather try to build a pot up than fold when the odds aren't in my favor than stand idly by and overbet with no chance of winning a pot. Though if it's tournament play and the blinds are significants than I won't be too heartbroken about only getting the blinds.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on who you are playing with. I don't raise too much so that at least one can go to the flop. When there is a danger of a flush or a straight on the board, you can switch to check - call mode. The loss of chips with the AA hand will be reduced to a minimum, but you will be able to reveal the opponent's cards.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends,situation,your bankroll,opponenets,time.
If you are in comfort zone then i guess reraise preflop,if you are in bad position then all in,if someone before you go all in i guess you call.
So many variation.

M

markmu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel the same. I'm not really successfull in playing pocket aces. usually i Raise Preflop.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so many times i feel i dont get enough value for my pocket pair (aces) either i overbet, and everyone folds or i slow play and usually get burned by a flush or straight. How do you play them?

The key word is overbet! The raise must be of a reasonable size in order to remove the extra players, and not scare everyone. It is much easier to fold cards before after the flop, especially if you have a straight or a flush draw, and the preflopraiser offers good pot odds. Therefore, to play even such a strong hand as a pocket pair of aces after the flop, you will need reading skills of the opponents hands. You must know for sure that either of them is able to call a raise in 4-5 BB with small suited ligaments or they play only with pairs and overcards. Of no small importance is the flop structure and the reaction of participants to it. There is a golden rule: pocket aces are the strongest hand preflop and not a monster after the flop, and even more so after the turn and river. Good luck

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
so many times I feel I don't get enough value for my pocket pair (aces) either I overbet, and everyone folds or I slow play and usually get burned by a flush or straight. How do you play them?
all in ..

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not play them slow. Playing the pocket aces slowly will give a chance to too many players to see the flop with some kind of hands like 9 10, 7 8 and ect. The flop for these players can be very favourable and they will use the opportunity to take your all chips, because you will completely sure that on flop your aces are still the best, but they may have trips or straight draws, flush draws which will not let them to fold the hand anyway.
The best way to play pocket aces is to make a solid raise. If a person before you have made a good raise I will go all-in for sure, because knowing that he had something good,too and will call the hand in 80% of the cases. Making a solid raise with pocket aces, you will deduct the amount of vulnerable hands out and will know that if somebody calls you he is having something not so bad and closer to a good hand.
For sure you can play your aces all-in if your stack is not the necessary in the current time of the tournament and you are struggling in that moment. That is the best way to come back on the winning way.

vajavava

vajavava

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me play aggressive pocket AA..or play all in pre FLOP :) if they call you win or you lose ..If play slow you don't have chance to win big stack

Aleksmy

Aleksmy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, this is a familiar situation. I usually try to open the flop and further on the situation. If the cards are bad on the flop, I try to make a check. If they are good, I try to go all in with someone.