Please help!

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just started playing seriously a couple months ago and I am BLEEDING money. I have read books and articles and Apps and I just NEVER win. Was thinking of getting a tracker, but since I have no clue what I’m doing wrong I don’t see how reviewing hands is gonna help. I need something that tells me not only what I’m doing wrong, but why it’s wrong. HELP!

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats what this forum is all about. Post your hands in the tournament hand analysis or cash game hand analysis section and let the members of the forum comment on them. Members here will review the hands and point out what they believe you did wrong.

When you post the hands include as much detail as possible or if you can get the text extract of the hand use the hand replayer that is in each section and post the link to your specific hand replayed. There are plenty of really good forum posters on Cardschat and it is a great way to see what you are doing wrong and posters will tell you in their opinion what was the best play.

I also see that it is your first post so welcome to the forum and hopefully you will find as much benefit out of it as I have.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats what this forum is all about. Post your hands in the tournament hand analysis or cash game hand analysis section and let the members of the forum comment on them. Members here will review the hands and point out what they believe you did wrong.

When you post the hands include as much detail as possible or if you can get the text extract of the hand use the hand replayer that is in each section and post the link to your specific hand replayed. There are plenty of really good forum posters on Cardschat and it is a great way to see what you are doing wrong and posters will tell you in their opinion what was the best play.

I also see that it is your first post so welcome to the forum and hopefully you will find as much benefit out of it as I have.

I don’t have the first clue how to do that and I am not at all tech savvy

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Welcome to cc! My advice is to play freerolls only! Read and study poker! After a few years you might be a player!

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to cc! My advice is to play freerolls only! Read and study poker! After a few years you might be a player!

I’ve studied quite a bit. NOTHING WORKS! Either I don’t have a hand at all or when I think I have the best hand it’s second best. I just don’t get it.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What site do you play on Murph and what stakes?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bovada .25/.50
Not a site i'm overly familiar with but to my understanding you can download hand histories 24 hours after playing. If you can find how to download them im more than happy to take a look over them for you and see what your issues maybe.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a site i'm overly familiar with but to my understanding you can download hand histories 24 hours after playing. If you can find how to download them im more than happy to take a look over them for you and see what your issues maybe.

I know I can view my hand histories, but I have no idea how to get them here or what to do with them on my own.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Murph1969. If you are new here, welcome. This is a great place to learn about every thing of poker. There are so many things you can work on, but you can only get better at one thing at a time. So my advice to you is like what 300HPGOD said, post things we can see, and then we can give our opinion. And like perrywh said, freerolls are free, but you can learn a lot with hands on, and you won't lose a dime. However, to learn from those freerolls, you need to play your best game. Take what you learn to the tables. If something works for you, use it all the time, but if something doesn't work for you, put it to the side, and maybe some day it might work. My best advice is to be patient, wait for good hands to be in the pot with, don't bluff at all until you learn how to bluff, and don't chase a lot. Like inside str8s. Ask about the odds of doing so. Anyway, like I said, focus on one thing at a time. Post it and we will give you some good advice. You know what my first problem I worked on? Tilting. GL my friend. Sorry this is so long.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Start off by bleeding less money. Does it have $.01/.02 tables?

I’ve heard that advice before. Besides losing less money, how does playing against weaker players help me improve?
To answer a question with a question, how does it help you to improve by losing money getting your ass kicked by "good" players"?

It stands to reason that if you can't beat $.01/.02, then you can't beat $1/2. I believe most cash players have "levelled up" over their playing careers. The ability to beat "weaker" players is a foundation of any game competition. Once you have mastered a level, you move up.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Murph1969. If you are new here, welcome. This is a great place to learn about every thing of poker. There are so many things you can work on, but you can only get better at one thing at a time. So my advice to you is like what 300HPGOD said, post things we can see, and then we can give our opinion. And like perrywh said, freerolls are free, but you can learn a lot with hands on, and you won't lose a dime. However, to learn from those freerolls, you need to play your best game. Take what you learn to the tables. If something works for you, use it all the time, but if something doesn't work for you, put it to the side, and maybe some day it might work. My best advice is to be patient, wait for good hands to be in the pot with, don't bluff at all until you learn how to bluff, and don't chase a lot. Like inside str8s. Ask about the odds of doing so. Anyway, like I said, focus on one thing at a time. Post it and we will give you some good advice. You know what my first problem I worked on? Tilting. GL my friend. Sorry this is so long.

Once again, I have NO CLUE how to post hands. Second, I can’t put things to the side because I don’t know WHAT to put aside. I lose just as many hands with top pair+ as I do with nothing. NOTHING I DO WORKS!

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just started playing seriously a couple months ago and I am BLEEDING money. I have read books and articles and apps and I just NEVER win. Was thinking of getting a tracker, but since I have no clue what I’m doing wrong I don’t see how reviewing hands is gonna help. I need something that tells me not only what I’m doing wrong, but why it’s wrong. HELP!

If you want to create a Discord group, I'm happy to chat and review your game as you play.
You just tell me your thought process as you're making your decisions, I'll give you another perspective. (I won't be playing in the game you are).

What I suspect you are doing wrong is as follows:
1. Ignoring position.
2. Playing the wrong hands from the wrong positions.
3. Playing too loose.
4. Not playing aggressive enough.
5. Not understanding what your opponents are doing.
6. Not folding when you should.
7. Not raising when you should.
8. Calling too often...and not for the right reasons.
9. Not counting your outs, pot odds, etc.
10. Not considering your opponent's range when deciding how to respond to action into you.
... there may be more things...but let's focus on that.

Send me a PM and we can arrange a way to talk.
(I'm on vacation this week...so have a flexi schedule.)

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to create a Discord group, I'm happy to chat and review your game as you play.
You just tell me your thought process as you're making your decisions, I'll give you another perspective. (I won't be playing in the game you are).

1. Ignoring position.
3. Playing too loose.
10. Not considering your opponent's range when deciding how to respond to action into you.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

I think my biggest problem is the answer in poker is always, “it depends.” NOBODY can memorize exactly which hands you should be playing from which position. Is somebody raising because they have a hand or bluffing or thinning the field? And I don’t understand position at all. Are you talking about pre or post flop? Are you telling me AJo is not a playable hand when first to act? Pocket deuces? You’re just as likely to flop a set in first position as last. I JUST DON’T UNDERSTAND!

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I’ve heard that advice before. Besides losing less money, how does playing against weaker players help me improve?

The way to win is through figuring out what your opponents are doing, finding weaknesses and exploiting them. Of course, whilst doing that, you need to stem the blood flow. That is harder to do when the players are better. A good player will play you.

Poker is rarely about the cards you hold in front of you. Most pots are won without a showdown. If you were learning how to play a sport, would you start with players in your general skill level, or want to play with pros? You get better by exercising your skills. Your skills are not the same as a pros... Play with a pro, and you simply will not be able to exercise your skill.

You won't learn from a pro by playing with them...or playing LIKE them. For example, don't watch poker streamers for anything other than entertainment.

You need to also do the Cards Chat 30 day course. This will help you learn some of the things you need to get right before you move up. You also should do a bankroll management course...which will also explain why you can't start playing with the big kids without the right BM plan.

If you can't do these things, then you're probably in the wrong place.

But there are a lot of good players in CC land. Join us in the CC league and see if that raises your game. It'll certainly cost less than your .25/50 games!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The way to win is through figuring out what your opponents are doing, finding weaknesses and exploiting them. Of course, whilst doing that, you need to stem the blood flow. That is harder to do when the players are better. A good player will play you.

Poker is rarely about the cards you hold in front of you. Most pots are won without a showdown. If you were learning how to play a sport, would you start with players in your general skill level, or want to play with pros? You get better by exercising your skills. Your skills are not the same as a pros... Play with a pro, and you simply will not be able to exercise your skill.

You won't learn from a pro by playing with them...or playing LIKE them. For example, don't watch poker streamers for anything other than entertainment.

You need to also do the Cards Chat 30 day course. This will help you learn some of the things you need to get right before you move up. You also should do a bankroll management course...which will also explain why you can't start playing with the big kids without the right BM plan.

If you can't do these things, then you're probably in the wrong place.

But there are a lot of good players in CC land. Join us in the CC league and see if that raises your game. It'll certainly cost less than your .25/50 games!

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

I guess I’m the only idiot here. How do I sign up for the course and what is this league you’re talking about?

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this forum you will find the answer to your question, things are easier to find than it seems, you just have to read everything to know where to go and with a couple of clicks your doubts will be solved. In the event that your concerns continue, you would have to find yourself a coach.

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple specific questions. When figuring the percentage chance of hitting your hand (flush draw, straight draw, etc.) isn’t that the same thing as your percentage chance of what you think is the best hand?
In the last 30 minutes I have lost my stack with top two pair to a set and flush to full house. Is this normal? I keep reading not to fear monster hands, but that’s precisely what they always have when I get to showdown

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello again Murph1969. I have yet to see anything about what level you are playing. So what level are you playing? That right there will tell us a lot. If you are losing a lot of money at one level, move down. I think one thing you are missing is the fun poker can be. So to have a little fun, move down until you can't lose very much, but play the pennies like they are dollars. In other words, ask yourself if 5cent was $5 would you be calling, betting etc. And last of all, don't feel like playing 2nl is below you. I think you can ask any player and find out that many started out at that level. I sure did. And I will again if my BR goes down to that point. I just like to play poker, so it don't matter what level I'm at. We all want to help you all we can. GL

Z

zyntsz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1. Ignoring position.
3. Playing too loose.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

I would also like some help. I feel like its easier if someone explains to me in a short way. I don't really feel like reading through hundreds of page. I know all the fundamentals, basics and positions.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A couple specific questions. When figuring the percentage chance of hitting your hand (flush draw, straight draw, etc.) isn’t that the same thing as your percentage chance of what you think is the best hand?
In the last 30 minutes I have lost my stack with top two pair to a set and flush to full house. Is this normal? I keep reading not to fear monster hands, but that’s precisely what they always have when I get to showdown

I'm asuming yu know the rule of 2 and 4 it's not entirely accurate but gets you close enough. So one to a flush you have 9 outs giving you 18% chance of hitting it on the next street but will your flush win you the hand? Well thats the big question and to answer it you need to of been paying attention to your opponents actions and any showdowns you've seen from them. If there tight and are UTG and open raised and the board is AhKhKc then they may already have you beat with AA, KK or AK or drawing to the full house with AQ or KQ and maybe AJs and ATs. However if the board is 9h4hQc if you hit your flush its more than likely going to be good. You need to think about more than just about your hand, you need to think about how the board interacts with villians percieved range and make the decision from there. Will you always get it right? No but it's sure as hell better than just thinking about your own holding.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would also like some help. I feel like its easier if someone explains to me in a short way. I don't really feel like reading through hundreds of page. I know all the fundamentals, basics and positions.

What areas do you feel you need help with?

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Odds and when to call/raise/fold.

I tend to bluff a lot than needed. Sometimes, it works out sometimes I lose early.

Where do you play and do you use a hud?