Please explain counterfeiting in PLO8!

C

checkraiser

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've checked online but I'm still unclear- how exactly does counterfeiting work?

Let's say the flop comes 6-5-4. I have A-Q-J-2 for a low hand of 6-5-4-2-A.

Turn is a K, river is an A. So the board is 6-5-4-K-A.

Is my low hand no longer 6-5-4-2-A because the board paired one of my low cards? Thanks!

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing the pair is not mandatory. Your low is still A2456. i.e you still play A2 from your hand and 456 from the board.

If there are only 4 cards to the low and the fifth pairs your hand you get counterfeited (because in that case playing the pair is mandatory).

e.g.
you hold AKK2

flop: KJ3

turn: 4

river: A

You now only qualify for the low if you play AA234 (which is not an unpaired 8 or lower hand) while the nut low available is A2345

Last edited:
eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've checked online but I'm still unclear- how exactly does counterfeiting work?

Let's say the flop comes 6-5-4. I have A-Q-J-2 for a low hand of 6-5-4-2-A.

Turn is a K, river is an A. So the board is 6-5-4-K-A.

Is my low hand no longer 6-5-4-2-A because the board paired one of my low cards? Thanks!

Thank you for posting

In your example if a Villain has the hand 6523 there low is now 5432A when the A hit it counterfeited your 6 low and gave the V the nut 5 low.

In your example you could also be counterfeited on the river by a 2 as the V could have A3 again making a nut 5 low vs your 6 low

Your low is still the same there is now just the possibility of a better low.

Another example of a counterfeit which is very common

Turn K753 river A or 2 you still have the 7 low 7532A but now the V can have a 6 low or a 7432A low

Hope this helps
:):)

C

checkraiser

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hermus and eetenor, thanks so much for the clarification. I think I got it now- Cheers!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Counterfeited would be, for example, if your opponent had the 23QJ in their hand.

So before the river you are ahead
A2456 and your opponent is behind with 23456.

After the river, and here comes the Ace on the board, you have been counterfeited. You already had an Ace and your hand does not change, You still have A2456, but your opponent now has won low with A2345. The Ace helped your opponent win low and the Ace on the river counterfeited you from winning, because you did not need an Ace since one was already in your hand.

Last edited: