Playing unpaired face cards pre flop

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I think these are hands that can be hugely problematic for me and other newer people like me. Hands like AJ and KQ especially get me in trouble often. That said I'd appreciate some insight into how you all play these hands or think they should be played.

So pre-flop, I'm assuming you should pretty much always raise with these hands if it folds to you or with people limping in. However, what about when someone has already raised to 3BB or whatever number. How often would you reraise with hands like these? Especially the non AK or AQ hands. Most of the time I think I call with these hands, probably about 70:30 calls to reraises. Should I be calling more with these hands or is it more dependent on who the initial raiser was and how tight/loose they've been playing?

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the position ,style of play ,and the growth of the stack of pancakes .Many factors play ...

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This tells me you haven’t really sorted out your ranges.

Go through the work of creating default ranges for each position and spot, then determine what adjustments should be made regarding player type, table dynamics, stack sizes etc.

From there you’ll get to a point where you realise we shouldn’t do anything 100% of the time. But that’s more advanced anyway.

So for instance as a default I’m 3B KQo btn vs a HJ rfi. But if villain is overly tight and 4B’s a lot I’m likely calling and taking it post flop. If villain is standard and there’s a fish in bb I’m probably calling to keep fish in the hand with powerful cards.

But this all comes from default lines and ranges, then adapting.

EnigmaTTO

EnigmaTTO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This tells me you haven’t really sorted out your ranges.

Go through the work of creating default ranges for each position and spot, then determine what adjustments should be made regarding player type, table dynamics, stack sizes etc.

From there you’ll get to a point where you realise we shouldn’t do anything 100% of the time. But that’s more advanced anyway.

So for instance as a default I’m 3B KQo btn vs a HJ rfi. But if villain is overly tight and 4B’s a lot I’m likely calling and taking it post flop. If villain is standard and there’s a fish in bb I’m probably calling to keep fish in the hand with powerful cards.

But this all comes from default lines and ranges, then adapting.

You're definitely right about that, really haven't even gotten around to learning about them yet. Welp, guess that's what I'll be doing today. Thanks.