Playing top pair

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is check/raising flop with top pair profitable or dangerous i nl holdem ?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are not going to get called with worse........if you get played back at you are likely dead unless it is a fish player. Overbet the pot to shutdown the hand if there are draws or just bet out.Check raising usually gets a fold as it implies a lot of strength and a trap.

X MaCs X

X MaCs X

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually check/raise, only because I want them to have to pay to see next card, i get nervous when I have best hand, like something is gonna come up and crush my top pair. :D there is alot of fishy's at low stakes.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always raise with top pair. Otherwise, some fish will eat you. Obligatory need to cut off the unwanted player.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in this situation it is better to raise/re-raise. With a strong hand, you should bet, check/raise should only be as additional intake.

S

shair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i checked, to give initiative for opponent, when he rise, i can raise then. But it in concrete situation and what kind of your opponents.

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always raise with top pair. Otherwise, some fish will eat you. Obligatory need to cut off the unwanted player.

I respect that. When you are good, play hard play aggressive, you don't need to win big pots, it is important to win the most of them. With aggressive defend of your top pair you will cut then down. Maybe some gamblers w8ing for flush or str8 will follow you. Then, luck comes into the game. Raise/ and re raise

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
top pair

i suggest betting the flop with top pair,about 2/3 of the pot; you want to bet for value, as well as for protection if there are any draws out there.on later streets, depending on the cards that come, you can either check or bet, but be aware of pot control because you can easily find yourself in a spot where you make a big pot and the opponent hits his card on the river.

zviko

zviko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to be aggressive knowing i have top pair to eliminate any chasers going after a flush etc. This allows me to gauge my opponents. However your position in this case matters alot. I like to pay for information but not too much to where i will regret it.

D

Dogwisddom

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, it's super situational.

Does your opponent fold when they bluff when you check raise?

Does your opponent Cbet every flop?

Lot's and lot's of grey area.

I say play every opponent based on tendencies.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are check raising top pair you are doing this as a bluff not as a value bet. What you are reping is something like trips so if you do get called watch out.

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably wouldn't even check-raise with TPTK and certainly not with a bad kicker. Someone else might have top pair too, but with a better kicker, you know. If you don't know where you're at, then you shouldn't bloat the pot.

L

lyndap

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost Opportunity

Just because you believe you have the best hand at the table, possibly the weaker hand ends up as the premium one because the other player has an opportunity to check you back and see the next card and increasing their odds for a better hand. 2) you possibly could lose your table presence and cause fellow players to push you out of otherwise premium hands by check raising. This is what makes poker unique as there are no hard and fast rules. Each table is comprised of different levels of players with different theories.

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Well my friend, Pre flop I prefer to Tri bet and then see, but if you get the Nuts with or after the Flop, then cheq - raise is a nice strategy, that migth be considered Slow play too and as any PKR strategy there is some "Variane" involved. :deal:

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is check/raising flop with top pair profitable or dangerous i nl holdem ?

You might want to consider the other players in the hand and the flop texture, just saying.

For exampe, there is little point check raising if worse hands are never going to call.

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to bet so strong when I get top pair,it's so safer, if someone is waiting for the color or strainght to immediately flush it out of my hand :D

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to be pretty sure that he will bet out. The worst is to give a free card to a drawing hand.