Playing Top 2 Pair?

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Hi, I am new to the group. Question - how best to play top 2 pairs? I typically bet them aggressively (pot sized bets on flop and turn) but I have been beaten repeatly in the last month by either the "villian" slow playing a set or drawing to an inside straight. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cbet half pot, turn bet 75 then jam river depends on board structure

if opponent check raise you on the flop just call, and analyze turn and river, if opp goes all in on turn just fold if you didn't hit full house

if opponent check raise you on the turn just call and analyze river, same here

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Adjust your bet size to the flop texture as well. If you have a dry flop, don't bet too big. If there are many draws then increase the size a little.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi, I am new to the group. Question - how best to play top 2 pairs? I typically bet them aggressively (pot sized bets on flop and turn) but I have been beaten repeatly in the last month by either the "villian" slow playing a set or drawing to an inside straight. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Depending on what type of 2 pair you have its not always the same. Its also about the plaer your against. top 2 being AK on a flop of AK7 betting pot will get you alot of folds. Betting pot on top 2 of 78s on a 782 flop makes more sense as they can have a over pair to play you with.

As for running into a set, there is really nothing you can do to avoid it. I should not happen often and it hurts but unless your playing deep stacks its almost inpossable to get away from top 2. If the other guy is not crazy and is willing to put 125BB into the pot against your top 2 pair then you need to consider your behind a set.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would always play 2 pair aggressively especially if you have top 2

what happened to you is typical for online poker though . but trust me in real life it is different and most of the time you are good with top 2 pair . (and no it is not because you play more hands online . but i wont discuss this )

in online poker i am still careful with top 2 pair because of all the suckouts i get too

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Curiously, at the tables where I have tied 2 pairs of my own, another player always hits a flush or a straight. For me, 2 pairs is a double-edged sword. :smile:

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I like to either let them bet into me, and hang themselves, or i make "feeler bets" to help gauge where others are at if there's also a flush draw

L

LOOPY

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically, having 2 pair after their flop, will win the hand far more many times than losing. Weigh out the opponents chances of drawing a straight or flush, and size your bet accordingly.

samircyber9

samircyber9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the read of the situation and your information about the player you play against

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 pair Wins a lot of hands but you can't let the players draw to the river where anything can happen. Trips are Trips & you probably will read those by who & why players stay in & just call you.

G

Goalie35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Depending on what type of 2 pair you have its not always the same. Its also about the plaer your against. top 2 being AK on a flop of AK7 betting pot will get you alot of folds. Betting pot on top 2 of 78s on a 782 flop makes more sense as they can have a over pair to play you with.

As for running into a set, there is really nothing you can do to avoid it. I should not happen often and it hurts but unless your playing deep stacks its almost inpossable to get away from top 2. If the other guy is not crazy and is willing to put 125BB into the pot against your top 2 pair then you need to consider your behind a set.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the strength of the pair is important. The top pair has been As with either K, Q or Js. It is really hard not to be aggressive with these hands. It could just be a month of bad beats.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation.
Because it is a "two pair" and because it is a "set", it is important not to be aware of the "role".

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very tricky maneuver by poker software. Many years, many tears over two pair. Beware.