Playing Tight Aggressive Poker (TAG)

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, this style of play really is one of the most profitable in cash games. But in tournaments, especially at poker stars, the tight-aggressive style is not so good. However, for beginners, he is probably the only one acceptable.:bath:

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way is to play TAG in the initial stages of a tournament, also know how to recognize the frequent players that you are at the tables as we know their way of playing and make the most of them when they play next, since they are obviously aggressive but not they have a powerful hand that can win if you have connected a good flop, but the necessary thing is to study those opponents and place a note and there we already know what we can do to take advantage of those players ..

S

spater

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that TAG play is good early in tournaments because so many LAG players are all in with any two. I have to say although its is risky LAG is much more invigorating to degenerate gamblers like me;)

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I begin to play tight aggressive poker at the start of any session and when I am starting to feel tired I can act in loose manner at the table. I did some small analysis of my game to find explanation of such performance and can say that it is matter of the goal which you have aimed to achive in the game. If your target to be ITM you will always play more tight poker than loose one. If you want to pass the time of game, please have fun and enjoy your game whatever suits you best. It's pretty clear that the above said relates to MTT only. Good luck!

king11682

king11682

Kimba
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
By combining the player style types, you become a winning player, with this you avoid making mistakes and have your opponents commit them

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TAG

Reading the article it is clear that without a doubt the game TAG is the most solid poker

But there are scenarios and structures of tournaments that not always TAG is valid

For example a structure of deepstack tournaments be TAG is very advantageous but a turbo tournament or hyperturbo be TAG ends up being easy to explore this player

So gear changes are fundamental and also according to the phase of the tournament and your stack depth

I wish I had the TAG style but actually I more play LAG style sometimes see myself playing TAG

:jd4:mateuspoker

AlexDriver

AlexDriver

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to play TAG style. Good strategy for new players, because to use bluff you need to understand different spots and not to use it anywhere.

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This article is Awesome Learn a Lot I like this style of play although I've seen some theories that have been saying that loose play is better now I still keep my tight aggressive play is just have been working for me till today thanks for this article!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
For me it is all about changing gears, you can't play TAG all the time, you will most likely blind out of the game, I like playing the occasional crappier hands if I can see the flop really cheap when in position and I don't mind if it goes to showdown and people see I was playing crap, you have to keep them guessing.

:top:

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed,tight aggressive works well but as you say ya gotta change gears ta keep em guessing.I'm a bit too random myself and lose my serious too easily.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lately I have not been able to join my profession to poker, so I'm leaving poker a little more than just fun.

So that makes me play more open, make more of my game, create movements and put into practice new theories.

I find it fantastic how people become mechanical, becoming predictable and arrogant to the bridge to think this is unpredictable.

With my A game I am extremely TAG at the beginning and middle of the tournament, tending to LAG from the middle to the end.

Of course, playing TAG does not mean that I'll be plastered all the time, if I'm playing to compete, I'm noticing everyone, picking up details that I can and will use against you.

Joining these weapons, I believe that a winning player will emerge.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play tight aggresive but it depends on the stage of the tourney cause now I am trying to normalise my ranges and play according my stack,opponents,position,openraises and my current image at the table.So I need to think my opponents I am tight but in reality I may play any two cards!

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fully agree with you, we must knock down the wrongful direction of the opponents and make them mistaken.I preferably most playing the style of TAG, but rarely LAG
After several serious mistakes made by LAG, I decided to play less with this style.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back in my most profitable days, about 10 years or so ago, the 'Harrington' books came out. I developed a strategy to profit against his advice.

Problem I have is a lot of advice been given out now is my strategy, so obviously I wasn't alone in developing it.

TAG is predictable, exploit.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play TAG but I end up playing more of LAG strategy. I think this is because I started out playing live cash games. I have gotten better at tightening up near bubbles, so I guess that’s progress.

Q

Queenlimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight and aggressive is great when your getting a lot of good starting hands.
For sure, generically good when at the beginning of tourneys (especially freerolls).
Also, there is a lot of advantage to work with when perceived as tight and aggressive.

However, not getting action as a consequence can be a challenge. When blinds are big, its not the best. A disguised hand can also be sure to get value against big slick on an ace flop.
Also, someone can estimate ranges better when this is exclusively the strategy. The strategy is solid, especially against lose players but does not dismiss the need for versatility.