Playing heads up

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with that ... headsup needs to be played with aggression and when your in position.

So when you are on the button always raise or fold (no call)
Depending on your opponent (does he fold or not) you can play more or less hands

If he s too tight --> steal more blinds
If he s too loose --> play less hands and try to win big pots

You have now described the basics of poker how to play with loose and tight players. Yes, you need to feel the opponent's style of play, I completely agree with you!
It is also important to feel the position and play extremely aggressively from the button. And of course you need luck, where without it)

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have now described the basics of poker how to play with loose and tight players. Yes, you need to feel the opponent's style of play, I completely agree with you!
It is also important to feel the position and play extremely aggressively from the button. And of course you need luck, where without it)

of course it's a part of the basics of poker.
difference : only 1 opponent (--> tends to playing on half full table) Like you play different at a 6 player table then on a 9 player table.

basic lesson
less players mean --> more hands can/need be played oherwise blinds will kill you.

But for headsup ... if you are chipleader you need to put pressure when you re in position and try to see the flop as cheap as possible when you do not have position. (do not make big calls with crappy hands like K5o)
If you are shortstack play aggressive with any connected/suited hand. Make 3-bets.

The winner from a headsup is often the players that wins the most chips without showing his cards (always muck your hands)

Pichman189

Pichman189

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course it's a part of the basics of poker.
difference : only 1 opponent (--> tends to playing on half full table) Like you play different at a 6 player table then on a 9 player table.

basic lesson
less players mean --> more hands can/need be played oherwise blinds will kill you.

But for headsup ... if you are chipleader you need to put pressure when you re in position and try to see the flop as cheap as possible when you do not have position. (do not make big calls with crappy hands like K5o)
If you are shortstack play aggressive with any connected/suited hand. Make 3-bets.

The winner from a headsup is often the players that wins the most chips without showing his cards (always muck your hands)

Thank you for your answer.
For me hands up is very hard to play, because a lot of maniacs in the game. And I cant see flop. only all in or fold.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for your answer.
For me hands up is very hard to play, because a lot of maniacs in the game. And I cant see flop. only all in or fold.

Well be aware that in headsup when you face a player that is raising all times from the button you have to 3 bet with reasonable hands like JQs, KT,...

If he folds to 3 bets it will be interesting to do that more often
If there comes an ace on the flop you can easy make a continuation bet if he just calls it.... as he can assume you have an ace because of the 3bet made earlier.
It could also mean that he will not raise that often.
Just be aware that only 10% or less from his hands (and also yours) will be tophands.
If you fold to much you will loose to many chips without any chance.

T

thefly1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pinchman189 do not forget to tell us if your headsup game is improving

Would be great you get a bit better results

And keep in mind in MTT or 1 tables the difference between first and second place is relative big... so improving your headsup game pays off