playing all in and AA KK and AKs

ronilsa56

ronilsa56

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to get some tips on all this and do with AA and KK AKs, who can help me?

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm not too sure on what you are asking, could you please be more specific on what you would like to know?

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With these holdings you need to raise to minimize the number of players in the hand. I would not go all-in unless u think you would get 1 caller, because these seem to not play well against multiple callers.

ronilsa56

ronilsa56

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Help on STTs and MTTs, I'm being eliminated with AA KK AKs, how to play those hands well?

V

verybadatpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That's still quite general and what you want will depend on stack sizes and when in the tournament it is. Regardless if you manage to get it all in heads up pre-flop with someone having AA (or to a bit lesser extent KK) you probably have about an 80% chance to win the pot. Whether you are going to be able to get all in preflop will depend on the table and often won't be possible if stacks are much more than 10-15 bbs.
As far as AK, it isn't as good to get all in pre-flop with, but it still has decent odds against any lower pocket pair.
There's a lot more that could be said, but as a previous poster mentioned -- it would be easier to help you if you ask a more specific question.

Ruminate

Ruminate

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's already been pointed out, but you definitely want to use your bet sizing to narrow the field you're facing otherwise your premium hand can become just a coin flip against the field.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:ac4: :ad4: , :kh4: :ks4: , an :as4: :kd4: are power hands but don't go all in everytime.Try to play collecting chips from the opponents. I'd just open raise 5x the bb.

Last edited:
Grafiti7

Grafiti7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that A K is not always for all in. Many times in tournament i fold it near money.
But for sure raise 5bb.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With pocket hands AA, KK and AKs - the fewer opponents will be in the game, the better. Therefore, these hands must be played aggressively to put pressure on postflop.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would add QQ in there as well. I would classify them as all in hands meaning I would raise preflop 3-5x. If someone re-raises or goes all in then I go along for the ride. Looking through my hand history when I have any of those AA, KK, AKs, AKo, QQ most of the time I win the pot. The few times I went all in preflop with those hands was because 4 bet and villian had the same hand. Then its either a split or the rare occasion I made a flush.

The idea is to get rid of the garbage hands like mid to low pairs and connectors. Even though you may be holding AA it is still only a pair and 222 or someone holding a 72 and flops 772.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You could go all in and probably win. Some finesse raising and betting on each street can be more profitable.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime I see AA, KK, QQ, AKs or AKos as hole cards, warning lights flash. These top hole cards usually signal high bets and the potential to win or lose big. This is when my inner banker runs for the safety of the vault, yelling, "Yo! Caution if many players go all-in before you!" or "Yo! Don't go all in unless necessary!"

By training, I mentally read top hole cards backward to remind myself of their real value. For instance, AKos is just that - a high card with a high kicker. AKs has more value since it might run to a flush whereas AKos might pop-up as a straight. If neither develops, any pair could crush either. Other top holes come with difficulties, too. The problem with QQ is there might be a KK, and with a KK there might be an AA. Going all-in pre-flop, however tempting, might pose a bankroll difficulty. Instead of going for the pie, maybe settle for a slice or two.

Approximate %s
AA or KK hole cards will win approximately 8300 times out of 10,000 hands played, or 83%. It also means they will lose 1700 times out of 10,000 hands played, or 17%. So, in the long run, AA or KK win. But, in the short run, they lose - maybe all day long! Aggressive playing calls for a bet, raise and re-raise pre-flop. Almost ditto for QQ. With a winning percentage of 79 and a losing percentage of 21, QQ calls for a bet, raise and call pre-flop. (Do the %age math.) If QQ flops dead, caution, especially if A, K or any pair hit the felt. AKs hole cards have a 65-67 win%, and AKos hole cards have a 63-64 win %. In both cases, bet pre-flop. However, if nothing flops for either, check both. If raised, fold both. Do not make the mistake of chasing a flush with AKs or a straight with AKos unless with a four-carded low-bet or check. Do not chase high pairs either.

**PS: Note that I am not saying do not go all-in with AA or KK... it's a valid choice, just not mine unless necessary!

Last edited:
J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. It is a good bully hand to play down hopeful shorter stacks and beat them one-on-one. However, I learned not to use any more quick, fix manuvers in my repertoire. Always comes out badly.
Jb