Playing against ‘bad’ players

E

Elliot051004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Recently I have been learning more about poker strategy, but what I have learnt assumes that the other players playing against you are also knowledgeable at the game and make similar smart decisions.

However, when I go online and play in the low risk games, It seems like everyone else has a wierd and chaotic range when betting, which leads to me thinking Im making a good decision but ultimately losing as the assumptions that usually are correct are wrong due to the players’ weird betting

I was wondering if there were any specific or different strategies/techniques when playing against these sorts of players?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Only bluff in the best spots, like if there is risk aversion like on the bubble of a SnG or MTT, or if everyone have shown weakness.
2) You have more showdown value, than you think, so dont bluff with A high. You still beat busted draws or floats.
3) Bet lighter for value and dont be afraid to get it in and "gamble", when you have a strong hand.
4) Get out early and cheap with mediocre hands like second pair especially in multiway pots.
5) Dont try to make huge hero folds. Sometimes they are betting hands, that makes no sense.
6) Dont tilt when you lose to a bad player. They are also allowed to win and have fun.

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) Only bluff in the best spots, like if there is risk aversion like on the bubble of a SnG or MTT, or if everyone have shown weakness.
2) You have more showdown value, than you think, so dont bluff with A high. You still beat busted draws or floats.
3) Bet lighter for value and dont be afraid to get it in and "gamble", when you have a strong hand.
4) Get out early and cheap with mediocre hands like second pair especially in multiway pots.
5) Dont try to make huge hero folds. Sometimes they are betting hands, that makes no sense.
6) Dont tilt when you lose to a bad player. They are also allowed to win and have fun.
Hello. Thank you for this advices list.
Sometimes poker is a really interesting game. I had many sitoations when i folded really bad cards like 35o and saw on the flop that i could have straight.
But of course i understood that these situations are very rarely.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Recently I have been learning more about Poker strategy, but what I have learnt assumes that the other players playing against you are also knowledgeable at the game and make similar smart decisions.

However, when I go online and play in the low risk games, It seems like everyone else has a wierd and chaotic range when betting, which leads to me thinking Im making a good decision but ultimately losing as the assumptions that usually are correct are wrong due to the players’ weird betting

I was wondering if there were any specific or different strategies/techniques when playing against these sorts of players?
Not a single strategy/technique or whatever out there teaches you that.
And even if they allegedly do then dont act surprised if these players play completely different compared to what that "best ever course" said ...

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Recently I have been learning more about Poker strategy, but what I have learnt assumes that the other players playing against you are also knowledgeable at the game and make similar smart decisions.

The first step to being successful at poker is learning to be very focused-So when you say weird betting what exactly do you mean? Do they bet small or bet large or bet all-in. Did you notice if they are choosing their sizing based on their hand strength. Large with nuts-large with bluffs small with nuts- small with 1 pair hands large with 2 pair hands

Reviewing your Villains hands and taking notes will help you see patterns that some players fall into

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
bad players are the most unpredictable and the most dangerous. they are ignorant of danger and that's why you can't bluff them easily :)

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
What are bad players? When it comes to them acting differently than you expect, this speaks more for them than against them. It's also not easy to tell whether someone is a good or a bad player just because you've seen them in a tournament. When it comes to playing so-called impossible hands, well, if you look at the experienced good player, you see them doing this from time to time. And because everyone has their own way of playing, you can't do much more than simply be constantly on guard and try to play as concentrated as possible.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

There is nothing you can do...raise correctly with good hands and they call anyway. Just be prepared to lose unless you have the nuts.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips

Chaotic game type works against theory type. By not knowing what you are doing, and by doing it wrong you can make a profit?

Why im not a millionare already? :)

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you define a bad player? Everybody has different styles. Maybe these players play loose to lead others into a false sense of security. I have came across some excellent players on cash tables, only for the following day, these same players are playing very loose. I think every player, every hand in every situation needs full concentration and respect.

The second post on this thread gives good advice, no matter who you are against on the tables.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's really something that I keep watching too. We do it the way the professionals teach, but it doesn't work. Good question.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very interesting tips. I will try to practice them as soon as possible.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

maybe you just have a down streak, well, if you have a solid game and you see your advantage over the players, then you will realize it sooner or later, the main thing here is to work on the game and not deviate from your basic strategy

Mauricio Perrotta

Mauricio Perrotta

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Make your game, if you think it's the right one to win you will “win” more than you lose. There are no bad players in this game, or at least they don't last long in it.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if you lose to a bad player doing everything right, I think you should not be upset because you will rise to the limits in the future, he will stay where he was if he plays bad and you're good you don't need to play the same way you played and everything will be fine:)

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It's very important to stay calm against those player.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even bad players have their own ideas.
I see them often too.
We also need the technology to handle them well.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play linear ranges aggressively. Tight and Aggressive play works best against bad players.

Do not slowplay with nuts.

Make necessary adjustments if you have HUD. For eg 3 bet against high VPIP who fold a lot to 3 bet.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
You need to learn to adjust according to their ranges. If they are calling stations you bluff less, if they bet with merged ranges you call with top of your range and etc.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Caution while attempting to get reads on your opponents, try to talk that ego into waiting in another room while you are playing. I play with a large number of folks online who are clearly superior players to myself, I have played with very few who were anywhere near as good as the believed themselves to be.
Watch your opponents, form your own opinions of their play, attempt to exploit their perceived weaknesses, lather, rinse repeat.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Being at a table with bad players is the best thing that can happen to me, the chances of losing are always there, but winning is even greater.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How bad, how better.

Last edited:
Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can give only one advice, play correctly and endure)