Play loose/tight

I

IfishUcry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Make ridiculous small raises that you know the other player will call and beat you and then use that to your advantage. After you have established that you are a poor player then tighten up and use how they think about you against the table and it will pay you off.

R

rushdaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a pretty good idea. I have never tried the method you outlined above but i might give it a shot. :).

Last edited:
Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can say one thing good Luck with your plan!!

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Make ridiculous small raises that you know the other player will call and beat you and then use that to your advantage. After you have established that you are a poor player then tighten up and use how they think about you against the table and it will pay you off.
This is not loose/tight!

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting strategy...

Tho i kinda feel that it will only work either short term, until good player realize that you're faking or if it work long term it will work against bad players, against whom you dont even need to try fancy stuff...

I

IfishUcry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy will only work for a short time

My strategy outlined before playing loose and then very tightly will only work on a table for maybe three to four times before player catch on. Then it's time to move to a new table.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
instead of doing that why dont you simply use good table selection and sit on the tables with fishes and profit? Also how many tables you play at the same time? Kinda feels like to much work to do it when playing like 12 tables or something...

I

IfishUcry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy will only work for a short time

please understand that my strategy only will work for a very short time, then it will be time to move tables. This is not a long term strategy, for that, it is better just to play tight, and only play winners. My strategy is a quick in and out approach to get lots of money very quickly.

2NaCl

2NaCl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are lot's of strategies out there that work but it all comes down to your opponent, if you sitting down with a good player they will catch on straight away on your play style and counter you hard, the trick is to be unpredictable and always change techniques (unless you playing with a bunch of recreational players which can still lead to a risky bitter ending), nice strategy though but like you said should only be used short term and with caution!

N

naturalbeing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Making yourself look fishy is a very smart way to spark action. You can usually count on getting called much more often and raises are more likely to be bluffs. Although a smart player may only raise with real holdings expecting you to make fishy calls on his bluffs. In general, it is a good way to loosen up a table. Even if they think you're posing, they are likely to loosen up expecting you to play an interesting style.

Last edited:
F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thought has already passed in my head, but thinking by myself when you start to play loose, the other players automatically start to play tight, cause it will be obvious they won't like to stay in a lot of pots and lose free chips, so you become a potential fish in some hands and you can be trapped, unless you have experience in playing loose aggressive. Later on, when you "become tight", they will also continue tight, and the action is going to fall down at least for the few next pots, and by becoming tight you will lose some spots that would be exploitable if you didn't care much about the cards you were holding, so it becomes unprofitable in the long run. This is the logic i made in my mind, especially about the way I change gears, but I'm not saying it applies to your game, in fact, what I really wanna mean is that you need to know WHEN to change gears, and when to apply some aggressiveness in the game, using spots to exploit players most. But deeply, I understant what you were trying to say... hahah

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe Mike Caro alludes to a similar strategy in one of his books. You want to give your opponents an image of you that is contrary to your true style. Since first impressions are much easier to create than they are to change, donking around to start can encourage your opponents to call you on hands they may usually lay down. I think Caro even said he called down a cheap bet on the river with a 23 off and tell his opponents after purposely showing, " well, its worked once before!"