How and when to play in position?

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play in position when I have a sizable stack compared to my opponents and I raise almost on any 2 cards

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let position go if you're beat.

When playing "in position" it is actually important not to overvalue your hand. The entire reason why being in position is so good is that you get a chance to get information from your opponents before you act. If the information you get from your opponents is that they have a better hand than you, than you need to be able to throw your hand away. Knowing you're beat is one of the two key advantages of having position.

R

RicardoTolfo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in position is valid if your hand is good and in cases where we have great values ​​at the table, where your decision can influence the opponent.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, first you need to be in position on the button. Being last to act on each street, you have the advantage.

PokeRocK

PokeRocK

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in position (IP) whenever possible.
Think thrice before getting in a hand if you will find yourself out of position (OOP).
So your opening and playing hand ranges should be tighter when OOP.
Chasing draws, bluffing / semi-bluffing, 3-bet success, etc all is better when done IP.
Position is like Oxygen in poker, don't get out of it.

You can counter some of the positional disadvantage via getting initiative (raising/reraising your opponent(s)).
Obviously position doesn't matter anymore once you are all-in.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always aggressive, but of course if you already knew how to answer 4 BB, my opponents! And the most important thing to understand what range of cards they play.

G

grupus21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have, for example, to increase to 3 people and one to raise everything and I call and find out of the mall and the play somehow it probably irritates me

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The position is really important in poker,I use to explore my position only when the ante starts and the pot has a good amount of chips.I usually raise to 3x bb.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You play in position when your opponent have to play before you

PuMa8818

PuMa8818

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do not overestimate the position and replay your hands. Getting information is a major trump card and the final word is yours)

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Respect My Position!

I hate those players whose don't have a good strategy pre flop and don't take advantage of the button of the dealer and go all in pre flop as if saying: No way man! Respect my position.All in! If you want to see the flop just call.:fight:

Attachments

• depositphotos_18975855-stock-photo-gambler-going-all-in-pushing.jpg
    depositphotos_18975855-stock-photo-gambler-going-all-in-pushing.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Limited_Al

Limited_Al

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have an open/ raising range for all positions

I have an opening and raising range for all positions, ranging from UTG all the way to the button.

Around 10% of my hands will get opened UTG, and around 50% of my hands will get opened, called off on the button. 10% will get 3-bet and complete premium will get 4-bet.

Depending on opponent skill and tightness/ looseness, I’ll open more or less. :bebored:

G

givememylifesavingsback

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what exactly does your question mean>

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
playing in position will always be an advantage over your opponents ... the important thing is to know how to take advantage of that position ... if you take a few minutes and observe how your opponents play ... you will have a good reading and you will be able to maximize the power better profit to your position ...!

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always is good to play in position, it gives u better ways to bet and make your game.

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good position - does not give the right to feel calm ...
We must constantly think and apply different tactics ...
It's like in sex ... - the more you change the position, the more pleasant the feeling from it ...))))
:stupido:

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in position (IP) whenever possible.
Think thrice before getting in a hand if you will find yourself out of position (OOP).
So your opening and playing hand ranges should be tighter when OOP.
Chasing draws, bluffing / semi-bluffing, 3-bet success, etc all is better when done IP.
Position is like Oxygen in poker, don't get out of it.

You can counter some of the positional disadvantage via getting initiative (raising/reraising your opponent(s)).
Obviously position doesn't matter anymore once you are all-in.

I just had to quote this because you have so many valid points!
The best being “position is like oxygen in Poker, don’t get out of it”.
I love this!

Personally I only play the extreme top of my range when I’m out of position.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
position is important, but the hand is more important. my opinion is

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if every poker hand is a short story,then you get to read more of that story. the better your position like hijak or button,every player add,s a bit to the story line the more ppl that add there bit befor your turn the more info you,ll have to work with,once you decipher whats what may a good decision based on info you have

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position in poker is simply the place where you are sitting at the table in relation to the dealer button. In texas holdem and many other poker games yourposition on the table is one of the most important factors.All positions on the table has a name and it is good that you decorate and learn how to behave in each position. Each position has its own particular strengths or weaknesses.

• The player left of the dealer (BTN) besides being the small blind will be the first to take action after the flop.
  • The player left of the small blind is the big blind. He has the obligation to pay the initial bet and also is in default position after the flop.
  • The player left of the big blind is "under the gun" or UTG. This player is the first to act pre-flop and is considered the worst position, that why he will not only be the first to speak in the post flop if the small blind or the big blind are in the game.
  • The player with the dealer button (BTN) is the last to act after the flop and has the most advantageous position on the table as it is always the last to speak in the post flop. It is called "dealer" or "button".
  • The player to the right of the button is called "cutoff", the name comes from the fact that this position is one of the best to steal the blinds at a full table with 9 or 10 people. This player often "cut" the dealer by betting before he has the chance to bet to steal, so the name cutoff.
  • The positions in the table are divided into three types, initial positions (SB, BB, and GTU GTU + 1) Intermediate positions (MP1, MP2, MP3) and end position (HJ, CO and BTN),Hope this helps.

Last edited:
es530

es530

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How and when to play in position?

"How to play in position" - in the obvious button.
In other positions - you need to do a mental exercise to see if you can play in position. for example: if you speak a position before the button, this is in the cutoff - you need to reason if the button enters the game, if it does not enter, you will be playing in position - and so on ... when I am out of position, and want to play positioned i like to think I'm stealing position.
"When to play in position" - The ideal is always!
Good luck.

Last edited:
N

notahead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this fun question every one's view will differ find your game play your style me personally i like to play large majority my pots in position as you can pot control size that pot makes big difference for me personally

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
position is important, but the hand is more important. my opinion is

Yes and no. Both are very important. And most of the time position is more important, than a hand. I mean ICM time, i mean situations on Button or Small Blind vs Big Blind, situation, when next to you are sitting really tight players, so you would love to steal their blinds with "anytwo" actually. There is even one poker proverb says: "Bad players playing with their cards, good players playing with their villains."