One piece of advice for Holdem N00bs

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you could give only one piece of serious, important and helpful advice for someone just starting out playing hold em.
What would it be?

N

neart13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always quit your good job to play poker if it goes your way but you cannot quit poker and suddenly have a good job! In other words you can play and study poker a lot but don't make it your number one thing straight away!

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always quit your good job to play poker if it goes your way but you cannot quit poker and suddenly have a good job! In other words you can play and study poker a lot but don't make it your number one thing straight away!
Great advice! but dammit you're crushing my dreams! Lol jk.

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you could give only one piece of serious, important and helpful advice for someone just starting out playing hold em.
What would it be?
My #1 piece of advice is to learn how to calculate pot odds. My game got SERIOUSLY better as soon as I learned this concept.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Best free advice: play free games..

If you are starting out, play free games, especially free tournaments that can lead to tickets, money, etc; something worth winning. One important concept, along with pot odds, is the combinations involved.
Once you are familiar with combinations, connectors, you will evolve to learn the finer points of poker: setting a trap with a straight, flush, or full house combinations on the board, and you will learn to bet appropriately; it's hard to get experienced players to walk into your trap if you bet it recklessly.
If you have money to lose, the cash games are a good way tomake/lose it quickly. If you are starting, stick with a lower outlay, say small buy-in tourneys, MTT, and SNG.

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only advice to a noob: Always consider Call Button Last (That's what I say to myself :))

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My #1 piece of advice is to learn how to calculate pot odds. My game got SERIOUSLY better as soon as I learned this concept.
This is at the top of my list of things to do.... Any good sites or reading material to get better at this?

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position, position , position is the answer to so many questions....:)

Steviewattz

Steviewattz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are starting out, play free games, especially free tournaments that can lead to tickets, money, etc; something worth winning. One important concept, along with pot odds, is the combinations involved.
Once you are familiar with combinations, connectors, you will evolve to learn the finer points of poker: setting a trap with a straight, flush, or full house combinations on the board, and you will learn to bet appropriately; it's hard to get experienced players to walk into your trap if you bet it recklessly.
If you have money to lose, the cash games are a good way tomake/lose it quickly. If you are starting, stick with a lower outlay, say small buy-in tourneys, MTT, and SNG.
Awesome!
Combinations and traps are something else I need to learn how to do. I've been playing holdem for a long time but I've never learned any of this.

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules